SASS Wire Forum

Load data for 38 special

Chicago kidd

I have been loading 3.5 grains of trail boss for both 158 gr rnfp and 110 gr truncated flat point. Use the heavier bullets in rifle and the lighter ones in handguns

I load 3.2 grains of trailboss with 158 and 110 grain bullets.

I've been loading 2.8 gr. of Clays under a 125 TC bullet for Ellie. Even knocks over the rare pistol knock downs.

I've recently upped my load to 4.0 grains of Trailboss under the 125 grain bullet.  I don't notice any change in recoil and haven't had problems with any knock down targets I've come across with either pistols or rifle. 

58 minutes ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

I check loads offered on the Wire against manufacturer's published load data like this.  I don't load above published maximum loads and expect possible poor performance if loading below starting loads.

14 minutes ago, Edward R S Canby, SASS#59971 said:

I check loads offered on the Wire against manufacturer's published load data like this.  I don't load above published maximum loads and expect possible poor performance if loading below starting loads.

Yep, nothing against anyone on these boards, but typos do happen. I've used that Hodgdon site for 20+ years. They have a wide variety due to the many powders they sell. It used to be even easier as they had a tab for just cowboy loads. Seems like one of the pards that was or is on here worked for them?

9 minutes ago, Goody, SASS #26190 said:

Yep, nothing against anyone on these boards, but typos do happen. I've used that Hodgdon site for 20+ years. They have a wide variety due to the many powders they sell. It used to be even easier as they had a tab for just cowboy loads. Seems like one of the pards that was or is on here worked for them?

I believe that was Birdshot, a SASS Regulator.  I remembering him admonishing a careless reloader that it was possible to turn a long gun into a shoulder-mounted pipe bomb.

DO NOT go below the minimum loads for Trail Boss. It becomes very erratic. I found staying 2 tenths of a grain above the minimum worked really well. Some goes for too much powder, Trail Boss does not do well when compressed

On Hodgdon's website under "Resources - Reference Data" you'll find a link to a PDF document that tells you how to calculate the minimum and maximum Trail Boss loads for any rifle or pistol cartridge.

DO NOT use Trail Boss in shotgun loads. 

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

DO NOT go below the minimum loads for Trail Boss. It becomes very erratic. I found staying 2 tenths of a grain above the minimum worked really well. Some goes for too much powder, Trail Boss does not do well when compressed

On Hodgdon's website under "Resources - Reference Data" you'll find a link to a PDF document that tells you how to calculate the minimum and maximum Trail Boss loads for any rifle or pistol cartridge.

DO NOT use Trail Boss in shotgun loads. 

^^^^^This!

Here’s one to try (load only a few at first to see what you think)
       .38Special Cowboy load:

- Hodgdon TiteGroup - 3.1 grains

- 125 grain RNFP lead bullet

- Federal small pistol primer

1 hour ago, Cat Brules said:

Here’s one to try (load only a few at first to see what you think)
       .38Special Cowboy load:

- Hodgdon TiteGroup - 3.1 grains

- 125 grain RNFP lead bullet

- Federal small pistol primer

I've used TiteGroup at 3.2 grains with a 125 grain TCFP and Federal Primers for several years now. Very consistent load and works well in both rifle and pistol.

56 minutes ago, Doc X said:

I've used TiteGroup at 3.2 grains with a 125 grain TCFP and Federal Primers for several years now. Very consistent load and works well in both rifle and pistol.

YES...Rifle & Pistol

CB

Archived