SASS Wire Forum

1877 colt lightning gunsmith

Moses, SASS #5964

Looking for someone good with these. I have one of these with a broken bolt. I have a new one and it needs to be fitted.

Moses  #5964 life

Sal Lanara.

A friend of mine and I have a standing joke... Every so often I threaten to send him a boxcar full of 1877 Colt's Lightnings that "just need a little work"! :o:lol:  He is an excellent artisan at repairing oddball antique guns, especially Remington O/U Double Derringers.  But those '77's can be enough to drive one nuts.  Hope Mr. Lanara does not have the same opinion of the Lightnings, or after repairing too many, he could be a candidate for the Laughing Academy!  :rolleyes:

Sal Lanara is “THE” guy an M1877 Colts. He understands them and makes them work perfectly. 

16 hours ago, Cholla said:

Sal Lanara is “THE” guy an M1877 Colts. He understands them and makes them work perfectly. 

No offense intended, and a good thing to know...if I ever need a Lightning worked on.  Will pass the word to my friend.

11 hours ago, Trailrider #896 said:

No offense intended, and a good thing to know...if I ever need a Lightning worked on.  Will pass the word to my friend.

None taken. I wish I could find the examples of Lanara’s work I was looking for. He works magic with older Colt double-action revolvers. 

Cholla

Thanks for the input I will have to send him a message and see if he is in the mood for as West Fargo told me a major head ache for 

anyone that got to close to one of these.

Moses # 5964 life

I was talking to Dave Lanara many years ago either at a shoot or an OGCA meeting. We were talking about his work and he mentioned his brother liked to work on the double action Colts, he couldn't understand why, as he hated them. For those who might not know Dave Lanara, many years ago, was considered the best go to guy for restoring SAA Colts.

On 5/12/2021 at 9:27 AM, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

I was talking to Dave Lanara many years ago either at a shoot or an OGCA meeting. We were talking about his work and he mentioned his brother liked to work on the double action Colts, he couldn't understand why, as he hated them. For those who might not know Dave Lanara, many years ago, was considered the best go to guy for restoring SAA Colts.

So does that mean his thoughts about the Lightning revolvers are about the same as my buddy who is driven bonkers by them? :unsure:

Archived