SASS Wire Forum

How do you ...

Staples? Yeah, I know there are some drawbacks, but it could work...

Shove yer hat down tight and turn your head into the wind. If that fails, tighten the stampede string up under yer chin!!

Put a “ Regular“ cowboy chin “strap” on it (actually, a long Western hat string... (a leather string or the like), but tie it low, behind your head and make a double knot.  When you put the hat on, snuggle it up fairly tight (behind your head) with the stampede string low and tight, down on the back of your head. That will hold it and keep it out of the way, and will hold it tight on your head.  It will hold in the wind pretty well and you can adjust it easily, when the wind tries to take it, without it blowing off.  Work with it, you will get used to it.  That’s what I do, anyway, and it works well for me.

Cat Brules

Mine is similar to Cat Brules.
I took a look at the Ohio Highway Patrol.

They use a back strap.

So do I.

Instead of a stampede string that goes under your chin, I run leather boot lace around the crown, down against the brim; take it down the holes in the side, then around back of my head below the occipital bulge, draw it snug, throw a square knot in it, run the tag ends back up through the brim holes and make a couple neat turns in the leather running around the base of the crown.

Put on the hat, pull down the back strap, done.

In Clayton Moore's book, "I Was That Masked Man" he stated that the Hollywood trick to keep one's hat on during a horse fall or a fist fight, or galloping a horse at top speed during the B western era, was to put a narrow piece of hospital tubing under the sweat band and then jam the hat onto your head.

OK, OK, I'll come clean. 

I'm a Canadian so here's how I really keep my Stetson on in the wind:

34ca7377159668cf804202c9590131c0--steve-smith-jeff-smith.jpg

11 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

Put a “ Regular“ cowboy chin “strap” on it (actually, a long Western hat string... (a leather string or the like), but tie it low, behind your head and make a double knot.  When you put the hat on, snuggle it up fairly tight (behind your head) with the stampede string low and tight, down on the back of your head. That will hold it and keep it out of the way, and will hold it tight on your head.  It will hold in the wind pretty well and you can adjust it easily, when the wind tries to take it, without it blowing off.  Work with it, you will get used to it.  That’s what I do, anyway, and it works well for me.

Cat Brules

I do the same only I use a rough horsehair adjustable stampede string. I put the hat on with the stampede string to the rear then move the slide up to cinch it at the back of my head. 
I tried the traditional use of a stampede string but cinching it under my chin. The first and last time I did that I somehow stuffed the fluffy end into the chamber of my SxS when loading it. I was looking at where I was going to shoot, not at my shell going in and I closed the gun on the string as I was shouldering it. All of a sudden I had a stuck gun and my hat pulled down in from of my face and confusion. :lol:

It’s funny now but it wasn’t at that moment. 

I can get in trouble just settin' in my easy chair ...

... and having read Pat Riot's account of the stampede string and the double gun...

I will never, EVER use a stampede string, because dollars to doughnuts, I would end up imitatin' his unintentional example!

2 hours ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

I can get in trouble just settin' in my easy chair ...

... and having read Pat Riot's account of the stampede string and the double gun...

I will never, EVER use a stampede string, because dollars to doughnuts, I would end up imitatin' his unintentional example!

Loaden B Fast once slammed his sXs shut with his BEARD caught inside...and fired!!!

He had a shorter/cleaner beard the next day!!!

23 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Loaden B Fast once slammed his sXs shut with his BEARD caught inside...and fired!!!

He had a shorter/cleaner beard the next day!!!

Once caught my bandanna in between my fingers and rifle lever. Thought for sure it would untangle... but NOooo! Each stroke it bunched up tighter, and my head got closer to the receiver till I couldn’t lever it anymore. :blink:

Needless to say I don’t wear a bandanna anymore :blush:

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

14 minutes ago, Gateway Kid SASS# 70038 Life said:

Once caught my bandanna in between my fingers and rifle lever. Thought for sure it would untangle... but NOooo! Each stroke it bunched up tighter, and my head got closer to the receiver till I couldn’t lever it anymore. :blink:

Needless to say I don’t wear a bandanna anymore :blush:

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

Bet that was a fun stage!!

On my cowboy hats I use a stampede string cinched up tight under my chin.

Archived