SASS Wire Forum

Can you install an original Vaquero grip frame on a New Vaquero easily?

Pat Riot

The title says it all. 

With little or no modifications can a grip frame from an original Vaquero be installed on a New Vaquero?

The reason I ask in I do not like the New Vaquero grip. I have big hands. My original Vaquero grip fits me better. I was going to install an original grip frame if;

1. I can actually find one. 
2. If it doesn’t take modifying the serial numbered frame or original components to install a different frame. 

Here is a photo that shows the differences in grip frames from the original Vaquero and a New Vaquero. 
AEE01B02-EB68-4C5A-BB67-2745BEA773FC.thumb.jpeg.5e97aaf5030051bd367e4600c432e4bf.jpeg 

59 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

The original has two little ears that go into cut outs in the frame.  Grind these off and it should fit the NMV.

Excellent. Thank you, Larsen. I knew something had to be modified.

Do you know if the hammer spring and strut will need replacing?

Thank you, 

PR

There have been at least three NMV spring seat and strut set-ups.  The OMV grip frames all use the old style strut, spring and spring seat.  The OMV strut and spring are longer and the seat is narrower.  Plan on replacing all three.

1 hour ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

There have been at least three NMV spring seat and strut set-ups.  The OMV grip frames all use the old style strut, spring and spring seat.  The OMV strut and spring are longer and the seat is narrower.  Plan on replacing all three.

54 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

A bent #10 fender washer works well a a spring support 

51 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Also, don't expect the grip frame edges from one grip frame to align with the receiver edges of another.

OLG 

Thank you both very much. :D

I will be ordering a frame and the hammer strut parts. 

35 minutes ago, Mister Badly said:

The one on the right has an extended grip from Texas Grips. Works for me

IMG_20191002_154644.jpg

What I am looking for is the grip to be a bit further back from the trigger. If you look at how the 2 grips sit in the photo I posted above you can see the RNV grip is closer to the trigger. 

Well, I find it interesting that I have found all the parts except I cannot find Wolff springs right now. All are Out Of Stock. I know the New Vaquero uses a 17# spring and the OMV used a 23# spring. I was going to use my old standby, a 19# spring. I guess I need to rummage through my old parts bin. 

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Well, I find it interesting that I have found all the parts except I cannot find Wolff springs right now. All are Out Of Stock. I know the New Vaquero uses a 17# spring and the OMV used a 23# spring. I was going to use my old standby, a 19# spring. I guess I need to rummage through my old parts bin. 

Not sure if there is a difference in length but IIRC a stock spring for the NMV is 22 or 23 lbs.

3 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Not sure if there is a difference in length but IIRC a stock spring for the NMV is 22 or 23 lbs.

Interesting. I thought the original Vaquero was 23 lbs and the New Vaquero 17 lbs. I am not sure where I read this. 

3 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

5 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Interesting. I thought the original Vaquero was 23 lbs and the New Vaquero 17 lbs. I am not sure where I read this. 

Found it. 
Small frame XR3 Rugers - scroll to hammer springs - see spring tensions. Factory 17 lbs. 

https://www.gunsprings.com/RUGER/SMALL FRAME (XR-3) SINGLE ACTION/cID3/mID52/dID229#423

Ruger Single Action series - scroll to hammer springs - see spring tensions. Factory 23 lbs. 

https://www.gunsprings.com/Revolvers/RUGER/SINGLE ACTION SERIES/

Archived