SASS Wire Forum

CAS in California for an Out of Stater

Michael Cieslak

I'm going to be out in California (north of the Bay area) for an extended visit later this year, and I was wondering what are the California regulations for bringing in guns and ammo.  First, can I even do it?  Second, are there lock-up requirements (like a gun safe) when my guns are not in use?  Do any of the local clubs have rental firearms?  I can easily have my own leathers.  I note that there are a bunch of SASS clubs that shoot near Sloughhouse.  That would be a convenient drive from where I expect to be located.  Any input or suggestions would be quite welcome.  It's quite a ways off, but I thought I would start with the inquiries early to see if it is even possible.  Thanks much.

Doc Cutthroat

Yes you can do it.

Handguns must be transported in a locked container separate from the ammunition.

Long guns do not have to be locked up.  Best for all firearms to be out of sight.

Most clubs have members who will loan firearms.  They will want you to use their ammo so bring components to replace theirs.

Lots of clubs in California, especially in the Sacramento area.  Come and have fun with some great folks.

Doc, the Attorney General’s website used to have an FAQ that covered competitors bringing guns into California. That seems to have disappeared. Since your travel here is a ways off I would take some time and contact the Bureau of Firearms and ask exactly what you wish to know about. Include types of guns and ask about bringing ammunition. I am almost positive that you cannot bring ammo into the state but there may be a process for you to ship your own ammo here. 
Here is the “Contact Us” link for you to try and get answers. 
I have found it is easier to submit questions in writing online and someone will call back. 

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/contact

PS: For those that can’t pass up an opportunity to bash Californians. Since I am responding to this post it doesn’t make me an advocate for the laws of California or the DOJ or OAG of CA. So, anti-California rants and comments directed at me are not only a waste of your time, but useless as I will probably agree with you. 

EDIT: auto communista struck again…

Just bring your guns in, shoot them and be smart.   Cops aren’t interested in the everyday person with a few sporting arms.........just like where you’re from.  Sure, there are ugly cops here, just like everywhere else.  When I run into them. I hound’em half to death at theIr station, multiple times, with every senior officer I can find.  If THEY give me trouble, they get it, too.  Nasty police officers need to leave.

You will not be able to legally purchase ammunition here if you are not a state resident. However, I am pretty sure that you can bring it into the state as long as you either take it all with you when you leave or expend it here. You’ll want to confirm this as recommended above. 

Seamus

I was in California for a conference maybe 6 years ago and took all my Cowboy stuff with me. Met some friends who lived there and left all my firearms and ammo with them. When my conference was over I went back to their house and did some site seeing with them and then the next day went to a local match with them and the following day went to a diffent local match without them. Then drove back to Texas. Kept everything in my trunk out of sight when driving with my firearms and ammo in the car. No problems.

Archived