SASS Wire Forum

Bronze Badger Battle

Subdeacon Joe

43 minutes ago, Alpo said:

"Generations of people"??

It's been there 33 years. Exactly how many "generations" are there in 33 years?

Say a guy from Baraboo WI served on The Badger Boat in WWII.  In '88 he hears it's there in WI.  Calls hi daughter who was born in '46 and says,  "Hey!  Remember that bronze Badger I always went on about?  It'sin the Capitol now! What say I come by, grab you and your family and we go see it!"  So he, his daughter,  his son in law and their kids,  including his 17 year old grandson. 

They go see it and as he regaled them with his sea stories he gets that far away look as he remembers his shipmates.   Makes quite an impression on the grandson.  So much so that the lad enlists in the Navy and manages to serve aboard The Badger Boat, much to the delight of the grandfather. 

While he is in the Navy the grandson marries and starts a family.  After serving 8 years he receives an offer of a civilian job that would be a lot better for his family.   He doesn't reenlist and  hires on to Wisconsin Wonder Widgets as a machinist and because of what he had learned in the Navy and advances quickly. 

Grandson sees that Grandfather is getting long in the tooth and decides to treat him,  and the family to a trip to see the bronze badger.  So Grandfather,  parents,  Grandson,  and children of Grandson all visit the famed bronze badger.   That's 4 generations. 

A “generation,” time-wise, is 25 years.

CB

I thought a generation was 20 years. 

Oh Crap! I looked it up online. Some say 18-20, most say 20-30, then there’s a website that says “in the Bible a generation would be 40 year”! How in the heck would they know that? 
Anyway, I have always heard 20 years…but maybe I heard that from politicians that need to utilize “generations” in a way to garner more tax dollars…

Maybe in Appalachia a generation is 18-20 but in cities it’s 20-30? :lol:

Looked at strictly by an arbitrarily set number of years I have usually heard 20 years, and in general is what I use.  In the context of this article I looked at it from a familial relationship point of view.  We hear of heirlooms or family farms being "passed to the next generation," meaning that it gets handed down to the children of the current owner, and they are expected to pass it on to one of their children.  I pity the kids in a family that has a tradition that "One child in each generation needs to have the name of Great, great^26 grandfathers 2nd wife's mother, Mezmedep." or some such foolishness.

Let's say, just for giggles, that my town decided to put up a statue to the mayor.

The day after it is unveiled, I take my mother, my daughter, and both of my granddaughters to see it, and laugh at it, and throw tomatoes.

And the newspaper says, "four generations have been coming by to see this statue".

Technically, I suppose, that would be true, since there were four generations in that little family visit.

But since the statue is only been there for one day, saying "four generations have been coming by" is pretty much a lie.

36 minutes ago, Alpo said:

Let's say, just for giggles, that my town decided to put up a statue to the mayor.

The day after it is unveiled, I take my mother, my daughter, and both of my granddaughters to see it, and laugh at it, and throw tomatoes.

And the newspaper says, "four generations have been coming by to see this statue".

Technically, I suppose, that would be true, since there were four generations in that little family visit.

But since the statue is only been there for one day, saying "four generations have been coming by" is pretty much a lie.

Even if we stipulate that a "generation" is 20 years, 33 years takes it into the next "generation" and is long enough for one generation to bring its offspring, that would be the 2nd generation, to see it.  Two isn't singular, so even by your pedantery that would be "generations," plural.

Unless you are using common core math in which 2 is less than or equal to 1.

The statue was crafted more than a century ago by a Milwaukee sculptor from melted-down cannon balls taken from Cuba during the Spanish-American war

The Spanish were using bronze cannon balls? I find that interesting.

1 minute ago, Four-Eyed Buck,SASS #14795 said:

Joe, I had a foreman at Hoover's that got named that way..................Thadeous.

That isn't too bad.  Not common, but not bad.

20 minutes ago, Four-Eyed Buck,SASS #14795 said:

He wasn't particularly fond of it either:mellow::lol::blush:

I'm going to guess that it was because he got teased about it as a kid.

I'll also take a guess that his family was Greek. 

And likely wrong on both. 

The Chief of Control, on Get Smart, was named Thaddeus.

That has nothing to do with the subject at hand, but there you go.

He had also been Secret Agent Q. Back when he had been an Control Agent they did not have numbers, they had letters.

Archived