SASS Wire Forum

Is he right? I hope so

Buckshot Bob

We had a toilet paper shortage and more people buy TP than ammo and TP is back. :D

No, it’s not. We have had 16 consecutive months of new record numbers of NICS checks, so we are probably at near 10 million new shooters buying 2 boxes of ammo.  That means another billion rounds of ammo just for the newbies. 

His guess is about as good as the scientists that are trying to predict where the Chinese rocket that is re-entering the earth's atmosphere is going to crash.  Supposed to come down sometime tonight (Saturday, May 8) but even that is not certain.

36 minutes ago, Not Dead Ed said:

No, it’s not. We have had 16 consecutive months of new record numbers of NICS checks, so we are probably at near 10 million new shooters buying 2 boxes of ammo.  That means another billion rounds of ammo just for the newbies. 

And with numbers like that it still amazes me some people in the government think the American people want gun control 

I have been in the Sportsman's Warehouse in Prescott and Flagstaff several times in the past month. Most times they have a selection of .223. I no longer have a need for it so I let it sit. I did pick up 1K of CCI bench-rest rifle primers for $60 which is not a whole lot different than pre-2020. I was at another local gun shop in Flagstaff and they had 1,000s of .223 at roughly a buck a shot. Again, didn't need any but they had it. The shelves are not totally vacant. The only thing I need is a pound of Reloder 7. That seems to be the bridge too far every where I check.

Naw, don't think so.

I suppose most of us remember 2011-12. THat there didn't really get back to "normal" until around 2018-19 and those prices/stock levels were just getting back to pre-2011. Sorta. During that period, I was happy to have a steady supply of Aguila 22 SuperExtra available for $45/500. 5.56/.223 at $9/20 or 12 depending. It was just getting back to .30 per round (bulk pricing) when this hit.

38 special I used to get Winchester white box for around 7.99/50 before 2011. By 2019 it had pretty much sorted itself out to around 20-25 a box. Primers $36/1M, powder depending on type $15-30/lb so there's your baseline.

Around these parts, mostly everything that shoots and what goes in'em is up 30% Haven't been to a gunshow since Dec 2019. No offense to Bob at Crossroads, but I ain't payin' 240 a tent in the parking lot LOL. Eventually things should get back to normal.

Eventually.

Keep in mind what's driving this. Nothing like this has ever happened to our country, to our world before. Lots of nefarious stuff going on. There's a lot of people see that and this is one reason that's driving what we see in the industry. You can't tell people that first responders will be the first to fall in a pandemic and NOT expect them to make preparations to take care of those things on their own. You can't tell people there will be shortages because the supply lines are likewise going to fail becaue of the same thing AND close thousands and thousands of businesses and NOT expect people to SEE and take care of their own because it probably seems obvious to them that their "new government" doesn't care at all about the welfare of the people and really isn't telling them the truth anymore.  It is a credit to our Country that things ain't slid further sideways. Yet. God Bless Ya'll.

How does anyone know if they are "new" shooters or just someone adding to their collection?

There are no centralized records are there?????? 

1 hour ago, Sedalia Dave said:

How does anyone know if they are "new" shooters or just someone adding to their collection?

There are no centralized records are there?????? 

I assume “most” of the nics checks in ohio are new shooters. If you have a ccw in ohio, you do not do nics check, so a lot of gun owners have bought in ohio without being added to the number of nics checks.

I hope he's right too! Ammo and primers are coming around here slowly but the prices are still outrageous!:o 

At some point supplies will increase and prices will level out but it's a guess as far as what those prices will be. Primers? 40, 50, 60 dollars or more per thousand? I'm not confident that it will be what we hope. The one thing that is encouraging is that 22 long rifle did eventually return to tons of ammo on shelves at close to former prices after the huge prices it was being sold for.

Stopped in at the local SW last Tuesday and they had several calibers of ammo in stock including 9mm at $14.99 box. No I did not buy any. I've got plenty for now so I don't want to perpetuate the problem.

Archived