SASS Wire Forum

Prompted bumpy a post on Facebook, I dug out my dad’s I.D bracelet that Grandpa and Grandma gave him when he joined the Army out of high school. It probably was a stretch to pay for it. They had a tiny farm outside of Dearborn, MI. They could have been the models for  the famous Grant Wood painting. Dad was hot to join up at 17 but Grandma  had bad memories of when her father, as a Regimental Quartermaster Sgt in His Majesty’s forces, went to France with the BEF in 1914. He was one of the few from his unit who returned. So there’s no way she was going sign the papers to let dad enlist. Soon as he turned 18 he left High School and signed up. 

:(Having problems uploading pics from the tablet today. I’ll run and try the desktop.

Got r done! :D

IDBRACELET1.jpg

IDBRACELET2.jpg\\

Dad1945.jpg

My Dad was drafted into the Army in 1942, and went to the Pacific Theater, in an Army amphibious division. 

Many years ago I asked him, and his best friend, who served in the Army in Europe, if they ever thought they would lose the war.

Both, without hesitation, said "no". Since then, I have asked every World War 2 veteran, that I have encountered, the same question. Every one, that I asked

said the same thing..."no". 

Those men, and women were, indeed, the greatest generation.

W.K. 

And there were so many of them. Truly the greatest generation. :FlagAm:

I remember my Dad going off. I was something like five years old, and I had no idea why my Dad was leaving and where he was going. . 

My Mother was a wonderful comfort. 

That is a gracious memory to share with us, UB.   Thanks.

I don't have much historical military info about my grandpa.  Heck, I ain't even sure

he was in America during 1914.

But dad was born in 1925 and with his Mom's permission, joined the Navy around 42 as a 17 year old.

He was on the USS Blackhawk for a while but an explosion somewhere put some shrapnel in his

back and the Navy sent him back home with a medical discharge before the war ended.  Then he

went back to school for his high school diploma.    LOTS of young boys and women left high 

school early to be 'involved' in WWII.

I salute them all.

..........Widder

3 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

I'll say it again,  your father was quite the handsome man,  and looks like he could have been a rakehell.

He was also one of the funniest guys I’ve ever known. :lol:

In '43, my Dad would've been either in Sicily or Italy. His Patton story probably took place in Sicily. On Dec. 7, he was at home on leave having dinner with his family. Had to cut it short and report back to base. He was in the Army Engineers, 19th. Can't get his service records as they were destroyed in the St. Louis archive fire in 1974. Tried and was informed of it after my request.:blush:

That man cuts a dashing figure. If photos are worth 1000 words, that one says "Land of the free, and the home of the brave"

'Merica :FlagAm:

2 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

That was my mom's favorite service song. Her dad was Air Force too. He stayed in the reserves after the war. Retired a Lt Col.

Dadcollage.jpg

1 hour ago, Four-Eyed Buck,SASS #14795 said:

Top right photo, participated  in Berlin Airlift?:FlagAm::blush:

No. He was out in 46. Radioman on C54s in the Pacific. He really liked the Skymaster.

Digging through old papers this morning, I found this.

B7795240-2FB4-4BA0-ABCE-0019B757ACAB.jpeg

3 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

What's on the other side?

PressRelease.jpg

my father was also enlisted right after the 7th , he was 20th AF in the pacific , i think your right on that stretch of the available funds for that bracelet , no one had much back then and that would have been an extravagance to be sure , but what a great remembrance with countless untold stories , we have much to be thankful for to that generation , i hope we as a country can live up to those sacrifices 

Archived