SASS Wire Forum

Another Cinematic Masterpiece!

Subdeacon Joe

Is Svengooli a real thing?  If so I will try to find it.  Reminds me of Barbara Walters famous question.  "If you were a twee, what kind of twee would you be?"

1 minute ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Is Svengooli a real thing?  If so I will try to find it.  Reminds me of Barbara Walters famous question.  "If you were a twee, what kind of twee would you be?"

Svengoolie.com

Svengoolie.com

Svengoolie has been the premier horror show icon of Chicago, since multiple Emmy award winner Rich Koz became the hand-picked successor to the original Svengoolie back in the late '70s. He has appeared on a national basis on MeTV since April 2011 - and generations of viewers have become fans of the monstrous mirth and movies that this video vampire dispenses every week over the airwaves.

Svengoolie brings you the classic Universal horror films and more, many of which have not been seen on broadcast television in years. Svengoolie has been voted "Favorite Horror Host" multiple times in the national Rondo horror awards - and been acknowledged by even the most famous horror hosts as a peer. Svengoolie reigns as the king of horror hilarity on MeTV!

We get a lot of the same questions repeatedly asked by our loyal Sven fans, new and old - through no fault of their own - and, though many of the answers can be found in the Jerry G. Bishop and Rich Koz chapters of the fine book "Chicago TV Horror Movie Shows - from Shock Theatre to Svengoolie:" - available from Southern Illinois Press but - since it has been a while since the book was published - we thought we'd add some answers to the frequently asked questions - so, here we go...  

3 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Yes,  it is.   A kind of low budget MST3K.

Sends chills up my spine.   Makes me want to shoot a bullet into all the tree's before

I go to bed at night.

Maybe I should tie my wife up outside on the deck for sacrifice should Baranga venture

into my little jungle area.

..........Widder

Well, it's no Attack of the The Eye Creatures. (No I didn't screw that up. They actually wrote The "the" twice in the posters and on the title screen). :D

https://mst3k.fandom.com/wiki/MST3K_418_-_Attack_of_the_the_Eye_Creatures

Well I'll be darn.  It is on MeTv.  I have never heard of it because it is on the non-HD band of channels.  I never go there to that evil place of non-HD.  I have made an exception and put it on record so I can fast forward to the good parts.

2 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Sends chills up my spine.   Makes me want to shoot a bullet into all the tree's before

I go to bed at night.

Maybe I should tie my wife up outside on the deck for sacrifice should Baranga venture

..........Widder

Maybe you should sleep with a chain saw under your pillow. :P

We used to have Chiller Theater in Pittsburgh with host Bill Cardille. He was called “Chilly Billy” Cardille. Yeah, lame, but his show was great and he showed great scary movies, like; Man Thing and many award shows like it. I loved the European vampire movies with the scantily dressed vixens. 

But, I digress. :D

8 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Dangit, I missed it... thank Gawd!  :rolleyes:

That movie came out the year I turned six.  I had two teenage aunts who would look after me, and from time to time they'd take me to a movie.  I remember one of those, The Night the World Exploded.  I think I slept through most of it (or at least hid behind my fingers), but DID see the trailer (they were called "previews" back then!) for From Hell it Came.  Scared the dickens outta me!

Anyway, we lived in a rural area at the time.  On the corner of the lane our house was on was an old, dead tree.  And of course, not being one to miss an opportunity, my 13-year old Aunt Bea told me that THAT was the "tree monster" from the movie.  It was safe to be around during the day, but after dark, it would pull up its roots and wander around looking for little boys to eat.

Yikes!!  :o

So late one afternoon, Dear Aunt Bea (I called her "Pee Wee" back then) gave me a couple of quarters and sent me on a mission - walk to the store that was about a quarter mile past that tree and bring back some candy.  Good stuff - Hershey bars!  Unfortunately, I did not realize that it was only about a half hour or so before sundown.  I gave that tree a wide berth on my way to the store; when I came out, it was early dusk.  By the time I approached the corner with the little-boy-eating tree, it was gettin' kinda dim out.  

Well, when I eventually made it home, folks were beginning to worry about the kid - I had wisely decided to give that tree a VERY wide berth, and took about a half-mile detour across a couple of plowed fields (which also let me avoid a walnut orchard and a stand of persimmon trees - I waren't takin' NO chances with trees of any kind!

I still tease my dear ol' Aunt Bea about how mean she was.  In fact, I plan on giving her a call in the morning...   :rolleyes:

And I'm danged glad I missed Svengoolie tonight!  :lol:

35 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Dangit, I missed it... thank Gawd!  :rolleyes:

We were watching the Phillies and Braves.  The remainder I set for Svengooli popped up at the start of the 10th.    Went to the movie for just long enough to then back arrow to to the game.   It went 12 innings.   Fantastic game.   

Clicked back to the movie and was treated to scenes that make Plan 9 look good.  After 2 minutes I checked the time to see Starlink,  went outside and spent 15 minutes watching  as they marched slowly across the heavens.

Since you missed it I think that the least I can do for you is provide the link for you 

No worries mate.  I have a brand new 8" bar carry saw  .:ph34r:

13 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Well I'll be darn.  It is on MeTv.  I have never heard of it because it is on the non-HD band of channels.  I never go there to that evil place of non-HD.  I have made an exception and put it on record so I can fast forward to the good parts.

Good luck with that. :lol:

19 hours ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

....................................... I think I'll pass ...... and re-arrange my sock draw ...............

:unsure:

Do a good job...Try not to get lost while doing it....

Texas Lizard

"We were watching the Phillies and Braves.  The remainder I set for Svengooli popped up at the start of the 10th.    Went to the movie for just long enough to then back arrow to to the game.   It went 12 innings.   Fantastic game."

Hmm, Tabonga or baseball.  Both hard to watch.  I would have to give the nod to TABONGA!!!  Baseball is like watching grass grow.  At least Tabonga was a tree.  

On 5/8/2021 at 3:59 PM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I go to bed at night.

..........Widder

Hmmmmm. Might want to think that through, Widder. 

On 5/8/2021 at 6:59 PM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

I go to bed at night.

..........Widder

Do you know the difference between tying your dog up outside on the deck and tying your wife up outside on the deck?

When you untie your dog, he'll still be happy to see you.

Archived