SASS Wire Forum

Woke up yesterday and could not hear anything.  Went to ER and they cleaned some wax out of both ears.  Can barely hear out of my right ear and still nothing out of the left.  They gave me some anti-biotics but I am worried it is something more severe.  I will try and get an appointment with an ear doctor on Monday.  Right now when I talk I can't even hear my own voice.  Gettin old is a PITA.  Had a CT scan on my brain a week ago.  The doctor called on Thursday and said they found nothing in there.

Oh, NO! 

I had the same thing happened when I was a young man.  Both ears plugged with wax.  In my case, as soon as the wax was removed, I could hear perfectly.

Larsen, praying for you that it is nothing severe.

Youngest son is a nurse at an urgent care facility.   One reoccurring treatments he has to preform is ear wax removal.  He describes it as being like pulling out a crayon.  We actually bought an ear wax pump at the drug store and he worked my ears over but got noting.

One of the first annoying things I experienced with my new hearing is hearing my own voice much louder.  

Unfortunately this isn't wax.  Very little in there.  They cleaned out what there was but found the eardrum swollen and seeping blood.  That is why I am worried.

3 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Had a CT scan on my brain a week ago.  The doctor called on Thursday and said they found nothing in there.

I think your SASS friends could have saved you some money there...Answered it for free....

Texas Lizard

Not good!

I hope they can diagnose it and clear it up. Fingers crossed for ya.

wish you the best in getting this diagnosed and cleared up as good as it can be. Had something similar happen to me. Was Shingles. With your ear drum swelling and seeping blood you have something else going on. 

Sudden sensorineural (“inner ear”) hearing loss (SSHL), commonly known as sudden deafness, is an unexplained, rapid loss of hearing either all at once or over a few days. SSHL happens because there is something wrong with the sensory organs of the inner ear. Sudden deafness frequently affects only one ear.

People with SSHL often discover the hearing loss upon waking up in the morning. Others first notice it when they try to use the deafened ear, such as when they use a phone. Still others notice a loud, alarming “pop” just before their hearing disappears. People with sudden deafness may also notice one or more of these symptoms: a feeling of ear fullness, dizziness, and/or a ringing in their ears, such as tinnitus. (For more information, read the NIDCD fact sheet Tinnitus.)

Sometimes, people with SSHL put off seeing a doctor because they think their hearing loss is due to allergies, a sinus infection, earwax plugging the ear canal, or other common conditions. However, you should consider sudden deafness symptoms a medical emergency and visit a doctor immediately. Although about half of people with SSHL recover some or all their hearing spontaneously, usually within one to two weeks from onset, delaying SSHL diagnosis and treatment (when warranted) can decrease treatment effectiveness. Receiving timely treatment greatly increases the chance that you will recover at least some of your hearing.

Praying here

This happened to me in the right ear.  No pain just deafness.  Thought people were prank calling until we had a meeting.  Doctor found swelling from infection, no wax, prescribed pills.  Took a few days to start working.  Hearing was back to normal in a week.

Hopefully yours is as simple.

9 minutes ago, sassnetguy50 said:

This happened to me in the right ear.  No pain just deafness.  Thought people were prank calling until we had a meeting.  Doctor found swelling from infection, no wax, prescribed pills.  Took a few days to start working.  Hearing was back to normal in a week.

Hopefully yours is as simple.

Sure hope so!  Can't hear my own voice.  Went to lunch and told the waitress I have no idea what she is saying so I'll just point to what I want.  She brought the right thing.:lol:

Larsen,

sure hope the Docs fix it for you and you recover your hearing loss soon.

I can relate to deafness cause I'm totally without any hearing ability in BOTH ears unless I put

some special hearing aids in.   Even with one hearing aid, I can barely hear anything and even

with both, a lot of words are garbled and misinterpreted.

Again, hope you recover soon.

EDIT:  I remember going for one of my hearing test and the Audiologist ask me:

"Are you around any loud noises"?

I answered:  "How would I know whats loud or not.   I can't hear anything.

Heck, I can't even hear the water running when I"M in the shower.  

I have to read your lips when you talk to me".

My disability is Service Connected and the VA treats my problems.

..........Widder

You  have mt sympathy and prayers for recovery of your hearing Larsen E.P.

Guess I will add you and 3’ to my prayers. 

I hope all it is is something some antibiotics can fix for you. Eye snd ear problems are scary things. 

11 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Woke up yesterday and could not hear anything.  Went to ER and they cleaned some wax out of both ears.  Can barely hear out of my right ear and still nothing out of the left.  They gave me some anti-biotics but I am worried it is something more severe.  I will try and get an appointment with an ear doctor on Monday.  Right now when I talk I can't even hear my own voice.  Gettin old is a PITA.  Had a CT scan on my brain a week ago.  The doctor called on Thursday and said they found nothing in there.

Sorry to read about this Larsen. Hope you find some answers soon. 

I was talking to Capt. George Baylor a couple of years ago and as I recall, he had the same thing happen to him. You might want to reach out to him and compare notes. 

Good luck!

You'all could write a little louder for us old folks.

Speaking as someone who has had allot of problems with their ears I would find a ENT that specializes in just ears if whoever you have seen cannot give you a good answer. With many things the damaged can be worse the longer you wait .

This group has helped me tremendously 

http://www.michiganear.com

I know they are not in your area but there has to be something like them near you . I just post this because I wish i had went to someone like this as soon a I couldn’t get a good answer out of my local doc’s 

Prayers up for you Larsen, that sucks for sure. Hope all works out well for you.

On 5/9/2021 at 6:02 AM, Noz said:

You'all could write a little louder for us old folks.

I'll try.

A n d  I  c a n

t y p e   s l o w e r

t o o  i f  t h a t

w i l l  h e l p .

Trying to get an appointment with an ENT.  The doctor's office called but I didn't hear the phone.  Called back and, of course, they were busy.  Hopefully we will connect today.

46 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Trying to get an appointment with an ENT.  The doctor's office called but I didn't hear the phone.  Called back and, of course, they were busy.  Hopefully we will connect today.

My dentist office will text me.  I told them I won't answer the phone.  You may ask if they have that option. 

Over a year ago in the process of getting tested for hearing aids,  the audiologist discovered that there may be better hearing in my right ear.  He recommended that I see an ENT guy.  I made an appointment to see one. Got the appointment right away.  Went and they gave me a generic screen test: weight, height, blood pressure, etc.  Then about a 7 page questionnaire covering my medical history including health of my ancestors back 3 generations and blood relatives to the side. 

Ok. Now do I see the doctor?   No.  Not how it works. Go to the regional hospital and get blood drawn. They will send it off for testing.  Then we'll make an appointment to come back here for analytics.  Then we make an appointment to see our audiologist to get another hearing test (even though I had the results of the test I just went through in my hand). Well, we can't accept his results.  Then go get a cat scan and make another appointment to have the results reviewed.  By then my B.S. fuse tripped.  The explanation was Obama Care. That's the procedure.

We got calls saying they had made appointments.   We hadn't made appointments we told them we wasn't going to do this.  They sent a bill. We sent it back and said we were not paying it because they provided us with no service.  Then the dreaded shutdown so I've not looked into getting something done.

9 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

My dentist office will text me.  I told them I won't answer the phone.  You may ask if they have that option. 

Over a year ago in the process of getting tested for hearing aids,  the audiologist discovered that there may be better hearing in my right ear.  He recommended that I see an ENT guy.  I made an appointment to see one. Got the appointment right away.  Went and they gave me a generic screen test: weight, height, blood pressure, etc.  Then about a 7 page questionnaire covering my medical history including health of my ancestors back 3 generations and blood relatives to the side. 

Ok. Now do I see the doctor?   No.  Not how it works. Go to the regional hospital and get blood drawn. They will send it off for testing.  Then we'll make an appointment to come back here for analytics.  Then we make an appointment to see our audiologist to get another hearing test (even though I had the results of the test I just went through in my hand). Well, we can't accept his results.  Then go get a cat scan and make another appointment to have the results reviewed.  By then my B.S. fuse tripped.  The explanation was Obama Care. That's the procedure.

We got calls saying they had made appointments.   We hadn't made appointments we told them we wasn't going to do this.  They sent a bill. We sent it back and said we were not paying it because they provided us with no service.  Then the dreaded shutdown so I've not looked into getting something done.

I’ve had allot of problems with my ears , just got my 2nd cochlear implant put in yesterday. What you have described is actually pretty normal. They do the cat scan to make sure you don’t have a tumor. Which is somewhat common. And most ents have a audiologist they are affiliated with or trust. I went through 4 until I found one I really trust . There’s allot of things that can screw up your hearing and a good ent wants to make sure you don’t have a physical problems before they just stuff some hearing aids in your ears . I know it’s a pia to get checked out but they are looking out for your best interests . If they can take care of some of your problems medically your better off in the long run because hearing aids just amplify the noise making your hearing worse over time . But when that’s your only option that’s what you do

2 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Do you have a smart phone? My phone has a setting to strobe the flash when it rings.  Like smoke detectors for the deaf.

48 minutes ago, Buckshot Bob said:

I’ve had allot of problems with my ears , just got my 2nd cochlear implant put in yesterday. What you have described is actually pretty normal. They do the cat scan to make sure you don’t have a tumor. Which is somewhat common. And most ents have a audiologist they are affiliated with or trust. I went through 4 until I found one I really trust . There’s allot of things that can screw up your hearing and a good ent wants to make sure you don’t have a physical problems before they just stuff some hearing aids in your ears . I know it’s a pia to get checked out but they are looking out for your best interests . If they can take care of some of your problems medically your better off in the long run because hearing aids just amplify the noise making your hearing worse over time . But when that’s your only option that’s what you do

The audiologist had me sign a statement that he recommended I see an ENT and that I refused before he would provide me with aids.  Ones this "planed-dimic" is done for, I'll try again. 

On 5/8/2021 at 2:49 PM, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Unfortunately this isn't wax.  Very little in there.  They cleaned out what there was but found the eardrum swollen and seeping blood.  That is why I am worried.

Even that isn't as bad as some things.  When I was a kid my ears would have the same symptoms, then the drums would rupture and drain and after a few weeks I was back to where I'd been.

My current hearing loss is NOT due to that.  I comes from too many shots fired by and near me, explosions, being in and around too many race cars with no mufflers, helicopter flights, boxing (until I discovered that I wasn't meant to be a boxer.  More of a chihuahua mix.) and life long sinus problems that sometimes still affect my hearing.

You might just come out of this alright.

Archived