SASS Wire Forum

Torn retina

Day afore yesterday, I woke up with a couple big floaters in my left eye, but didn't think much of it. Made coffee and drove to Fort Harrison for my 2nd COVID shot, and by the time I left there, I was seeing a sea of tiny champagne bubbles in my eye, in addition to the big floaters. I headed home, and it rapidly got worse, so I asked my phone to find an optometrist along the way. Being somewhat of an emergency, they got me in right away, and discovered a "retinal horseshoe tear with no retinal detachment". So the next morning, yesterday, my daughter came down from Great Falls and drove me to a retinal clinic in Bozeman, and they did some laser stitching and got it welded up. I asked him what caused it, and since there had been no trauma beforehand, he said it was probably "just too many birthdays". In about a month it should be more or less back to normal.

My kid cannot drive my F350... I was starting to think being blind was preferable to having her drive my truck. :mellow:

Takes practice to drive a 350 so there hope there.

I had a friend get a retinal detachment layered and make a full recovery so he got to keep his cdl.

Prayers sent so you get better and see many more sunrises!

5 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Day afore yesterday, I woke up with a couple big floaters in my left eye, but didn't think much of it. Made coffee and drove to Fort Harrison for my 2nd COVID shot, and by the time I left there, I was seeing a sea of tiny champagne bubbles in my eye, in addition to the big floaters. I headed home, and it rapidly got worse, so I asked my phone to find an optometrist along the way. Being somewhat of an emergency, they got me in right away, and discovered a "retinal horseshoe tear with no retinal detachment". So the next morning, yesterday, my daughter came down from Great Falls and drove me to a retinal clinic in Bozeman, and they did some laser stitching and got it welded up. I asked him what caused it, and since there had been no trauma beforehand, he said it was probably "just too many birthdays". In about a month it should be more or less back to normal.

My kid cannot drive my F350... I was starting to think being blind was preferable to having her drive my truck. :mellow:

We shall pray for a complete recovery for you. Thanks for the update. Keep us posted on your progress. 

Praying here

Noon yesterday, I couldn't see my TV across the room with my left eye - just a vague black blur. This evening, I can read the on-screen menu with just the one eye. The big floaters (blood) are going to take awhile to dissipate, and the sea of champagne bubbles are still there, but much less distinct.

My wife had one in her right eye and they botched the laser repair.  That was in 1991.  She ended up losing the sight right of the mid way point and above to horizontal mid point. Make sure they know what they are doing.  I hope they have improved the technology since then.

I have had Ambliopia (Lazy Eye) in my right eye since childhood. I am right handed and learned to shoot a long gun left handed. My last checkup a couple of weeks ago the Dr told me I had a cataract in my good eye. I had noticed things were getting a little blurry. Getting it fixed in a couple of weeks. I know it is a minor thing, my wife had them in both eyes and they were fixed. But when you basically have one eye and you have a problem with the good one, you get a little skittish. 

3 hours ago, Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life said:

I have had Ambliopia (Lazy Eye) in my right eye since childhood. I am right handed and learned to shoot a long gun left handed. My last checkup a couple of weeks ago the Dr told me I had a cataract in my good eye. I had noticed things were getting a little blurry. Getting it fixed in a couple of weeks. I know it is a minor thing, my wife had them in both eyes and they were fixed. But when you basically have one eye and you have a problem with the good one, you get a little skittish. 

I have had cataract surgery in both eyes and everything went great. Prior to lense replacement I needed glasses for distance and for close reading.  Now I don't need any correction for distance and only need it for computer work and close reading. Now use plain shooting glasses with bifocals for loading and reading.

Archived