SASS Wire Forum

Gun show primer and powder prices

That's about what it's going for out here in Kaliforny, if you can find it. I ended up getting some through Gunbroker. The local gun show is next Saturday, I'll give you an update.

$200 for case of Fiocchi 7.5 shot loads.  Bought 2 cases on the internet for $88 plus shipping a couple of weeks ago.  

Powder was $50 from the "cheapest" vendor. Lucky that I have plenty of smokeless powder. APP is still available in case lots if I run low.

Primers were crazy too. Mostly foreign crap I never heard of. Lucky I'm stocked up 

I was able to buy 2 tins of percussion caps @ $10 apiece.

Hogleg

At the gun shows around here the guy next store venders prices are through the roof. The larger always there venders are just slightly higher on what they have.

Be patient. Keep your eyes open and things trickle in. I picked up an 8 lb jug of IMR 3031 for $180 locally. Higher than what I'm used to paying but still not too ridiculous.

Maybe it’s the gun shows I go to “or haven’t went to in a long time” . But I’ve never really seen that great of deals there .

I’ve found them interesting to look around and seen some interesting and rare things, but I’ve never seen too many deals .

I lucked into primers at a local place for 80 a thousand, they also had a fairly decent selection of IMR and Accurate powders .

So hopefully the pipeline is at least getting damp 

I know its not gun show pricing but A a pard just called me this morning as he knows im looking for spp’s too. Shop in AZ had them. $250 per 1000. Fortunately I could pass on them. Hope i dont regret it. 

I have been going to gun shows since the 1960's. From my own personal experience, it is the exception, and not the rule, that you find a real bargain, or a price that is really attractive. It takes a lot of looking. In over 50 years, of going to gun shows, I have found only about five, or six items that I considered a good buy, and a fair price.

The best experience I ever had was...I was leaving the gun show, and encountered a man walking into the show, with the exact rifle I had been looking for, for at least three years. I asked him the caliber, then I asked the price. Bought it before he even got in the door. Great shape, great price, right caliber, no argument, no hassle, no having to listening to an "expert" on guns, and not being told it was a "rare", or "collectors item".

Normally, I can find better prices at a mom & pop gun shop, or on-line. 

You can get really get fleeced, if you don't know ahead of time what the item you are interested in, is worth. You'd better take a friend with you, in case you need to be talked out of buying an overpriced, or a poor conditioned item. 

Some of the dealers won't even allow you to take a look at the bore. I put on white cotton gloves, before I ask to pick one up to inspect the bore, and that makes it more difficult for them to refuse...I said "more difficult", but most of the time they decline. Perhaps there have been too many bad experiences from rookies handling their items, and they are now reluctant to allow it...I don't know. I know there are two sides to every story.

Also, many of the dealers seem to have been weaned on a sour pickle. You want my business, you need to be cordial. Otherwise, I keep walking, and my money walks with me. 

Have to agree with Mr. Waxahachie Kid. In 30 + years of going to gun shows on a regular basis, I have only found a really good deal there that I still have fingers left to count them on. Last year I did find and bought an SKB 150 for 750.00. Used it today at a local match.

Just before things fell apart, I bought several pounds of Red Dot at a retail sporting goods store in mid-August for $17.52/pound, and 1700 CCI 209 primers at Walmart in mid-November for $3.97/100. The good old days. :mellow:

I saw some primers at a gun show for $400/K. No takers. At another GS vendor had primers, I asked how much, he said 275 and seemed offended I didn’t buy them. Sayid “they will never be cheaper” (I doubt that!) 

At a recent TG meeting, one person mentioned that no SASS shooter should be selling primers to others at an inflated price. Either loan them with the understanding that they will be replaced when primers come available again, or sold for a reasonable amount. 40-50 or so per K.  We don’t need to make a profit on our Pards. 

if you have primers to spare, offer them up to your local club members. I had about 5K LPs that in reality would last me forever. I kept 1000, have loaned or sold the rest. This game won’t be as much fun if nobody is shooting with us!

At a local show a couple weeks ago different vendors were asking $170 and $140 per thousand for name brand primers. Some folks were buying too. 

Seamus

2 hours ago, Hoss said:

At a recent TG meeting, one person mentioned that no SASS shooter should be selling primers to others at an inflated price. Either loan them with the understanding that they will be replaced when primers come available again, or sold for a reasonable amount. 40-50 or so per K. 

I tried that, and it only took a couple days for word to spread, "TFJ has primers for only $40 a thousand!". Within a week, I had at least half a dozen contacts, one even showing up on my doorstep, saying, "I'll take all you've got!" Well, they're not going to use anywhere near that many themselves, so obviously their intent is to quadruple their money, or more. When I said, "No, but I'll sell you 1000", a couple of them got a little mad and one of them actually told me, "Now you're just being a f*****g a**hole". :angry: I'll hang onto them - it's not like I have to sell primers to pay the bills. :mellow:

We should all be so angry at the regular buggering we take in the Free Market system. When we are willing to pay a CEO an eight figure salary to "manage" our health care, being incensed that people are profiteering off guns and ammunition is a bit disingenuous.  But I agree prices are crazy and I am glad that a few years ago I bought more ammo, powder and components than I can ever hope to use up.  That is why I sell anything that isn't collectable, and therefore has a real, legitimate value, on Gunbroker and not here.  And don't expect prices to drop back to old levels, even when the manufacturers get back to paying the same to produce.  Ain't gonna happen.  We have been planning to build our retirement cabin for years.  Finally set to move forward and get quotes.  Between January and April, lumber prices jumped another 20%.  All of the contractors say the same thing: prices are going to keep going up, and then will s-l-o-w-l-y creep down in a year or more.  Maybe.  We just bit the bullet and signed the contract for an 80% build.  I'll finish the interior myownself.  Just something to think about.

3 hours ago, Hoss said:

At a recent TG meeting, one person mentioned that no SASS shooter should be selling primers to others at an inflated price. Either loan them with the understanding that they will be replaced when primers come available again, or sold for a reasonable amount. 40-50 or so per K.  We don’t need to make a profit on our Pards. 

if you have primers to spare, offer them up to your local club members. I had about 5K LPs that in reality would last me forever. I kept 1000, have loaned or sold the rest. This game won’t be as much fun if nobody is shooting with us!

Do you really think that the folks in CAS are any different than other disciplines? They aren't...sorry.

And there is nothing wrong with making a profit. Gouging is another story...but again, CAS folks are not any different that anyone else.

Phantom

28 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Do you really think that the folks in CAS are any different than other disciplines? They aren't...sorry.

And there is nothing wrong with making a profit. Gouging is another story...but again, CAS folks are not any different that anyone else.

Phantom

Well actually I’ve only ever met one turd in cas. I’ve met lots playing golf, tons in little league baseball when my son was playing, and while I’ve never participated  in other shooting sports, I’ve heard that most of those guys are not known to be overly helpful. So yes, I do think CAS cowboys are a bit different. 

I've met more folks that follow the Cowboy way !in Sass, Never met anyone who didn't let a newbie shoot their gun using the owners ammo!  I gave a little Buckaroo a box of featherlights  last month after watching her get the snot knocked out of herself shooting full load Federals her daddy had. I've seen folks hand another cowboy a box of reloads when they forgot their ammo.  So I hope cowboys don't price gouge other members. I have seen folks on the wire selling ammo for a whole lot more than they paid for them, but supply and demand. 

I was just stunned at the 70% markup from what we used to see primers and powder go for we hadn't had a gunshow in almost a year around here!

Rafe

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

Well actually I’ve only ever met one turd in cas. I’ve met lots playing golf, tons in little league baseball when my son was playing, and while I’ve never participated  in other shooting sports, I’ve heard that most of those guys are not known to be overly helpful. So yes, I do think CAS cowboys are a bit different. 

I've competed at a rather high level in Golf, Motocross and IJSBA (Jetski racing). I've experienced fantastic people in all of these endeavors. Folks that would give you the shirt off their backs...and would never consider cheating. Then...there's the few that just don't behave that way.

Same with CAS...folks that would give you the shirt off their backs and never consider cheating...then there are those that would cheat for a silly buckle...lie about situations so that THEY make themselves look good...and the sad part, these suckers believe them because they are "Cowboys"...oh, and they are their "Pards"...assuming that the "Other Cowboy/Cowgirl" is the lying cheat that is the "exception" to the rule.

Yeah...

Phantom isn't wrong.

Probably the most egregious cheating I have seen is when a troupe from a particular region showed up at a "big" match and all posse'd together.  Whenever their local favorite came to the line they all grabbed the spotter sticks and refused to  call misses on him.

Pretty sad, really.

40 minutes ago, Stump Water said:

Phantom isn't wrong.

Probably the most egregious cheating I have seen is when a troupe from a particular region showed up at a "big" match and all posse'd together.  Whenever their local favorite came to the line they all grabbed the spotter sticks and refused to  call misses on him.

Pretty sad, really.

Been there and seen that....more than once.:(

3 hours ago, Rafe Conager SASS #56958 said:

I've met more folks that follow the Cowboy way !in Sass, Never met anyone who didn't let a newbie shoot their gun using the owners ammo!  I gave a little Buckaroo a box of featherlights  last month after watching her get the snot knocked out of herself shooting full load Federals her daddy had. I've seen folks hand another cowboy a box of reloads when they forgot their ammo.  So I hope cowboys don't price gouge other members. I have seen folks on the wire selling ammo for a whole lot more than they paid for them, but supply and demand. 

I was just stunned at the 70% markup from what we used to see primers and powder go for we hadn't had a gunshow in almost a year around here!

Rafe

I too have provided hundreds of rounds to visitors & newbies, using my guns. And was happy to do so. And will continue to do so. 

4 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Phantom

And you are dead wrong on this one. (respectfully)

10 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I too have provided hundreds of rounds to visitors & newbies, using my guns. And was happy to do so. And will continue to do so. 

I haven't done anything that needs to displayed on Social Media...

1 minute ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

But I have many examples...so...how am I wrong?

You have classified ALL CAS folks. That's ridicules.

1 minute ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

But I have many examples...so...how am I wrong?

I gotta agree with Phantom on this one. (Making that face from The Scream)  LOL.  But he is correct.  CAS has the same problem as Soylent Green - It's made of people.  Peeo-ple!

5 minutes ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I haven't done anything that needs to displayed on Social Media...

You’re just a better man than I am. 

1 minute ago, Yusta B. said:

You have classified ALL CAS folks. That's ridicules.

Actually, if you read my posts I don't say anything negative about anyone.

I simply say that Cowboy Action Shooters are no different then the general population. You have good folks and bad folks and everything in between.

It's kind of funny that folks have a problem with this...like...what, Cowboy Action Shooters are somehow just better people? 

Phantom

Just now, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Not saying that...but I'll tell ya what I don't do. I don't take 1/2 of a story and bet my reputation on it.

Phantom

I really don’t know what you are talking about. 

2 hours ago, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

I've competed at a rather high level in Golf, Motocross and IJSBA (Jetski racing). I've experienced fantastic people in all of these endeavors. Folks that would give you the shirt off their backs...and would never consider cheating. Then...there's the few that just don't behave that way.

Same with CAS...folks that would give you the shirt off their backs and never consider cheating...then there are those that would cheat for a silly buckle...lie about situations so that THEY make themselves look good...and the sad part, these suckers believe them because they are "Cowboys"...oh, and they are their "Pards"...assuming that the "Other Cowboy/Cowgirl" is the lying cheat that is the "exception" to the rule.

Yeah...

Well said!

OLG 

Archived