SASS Wire Forum

Starlink

Has anyone seen these yet? I happened to see them last night when I was walking Custer. If I had not heard about them, I would have thought it was a very strange sight!

https://findstarlink.com/

I'll for sure be lookin' for 'em tomorrow!

My son and some friends called me while I was driving home from Fresno ~ couldn't see anything while driving.

Whaaaaaa?

24 minutes ago, Happy Jack, SASS #20451 said:

Living in a NO LIGHT area I watched them travel by last night about 21:45.  With the naked eye as clear as the photo in the OP. Pretty amazing.

I think that the uniqueness is going to wear out REAL QUICK.....especially when there gets to be 10 times the amount of them that there is now. I tend to agree with the folks who believe that these will create an obstruction of our night skies. The night skies are there for all of us to enjoy, not to be subjected to a viewing of satellites designed to make the richest guy in the world even richer.<_<

YMMV

Well, I'm one of the folks looking forward to Starlink.  Living out in the sticks, we have very poor TV reception of any kind.  {The previous owner put 4 satellite dishes on the house.  Does that tell you anything?}  It would be nice to be able to watch something on live broadcast, especially if there is a major weather event heading our way.

That’s how they always look or is that just when they are launched into position?

I have an app called Night Sky. I use it for star gazing. It shows star and planet locations as well as satellites, but here in the light pollution capital of the west I cannot see them with the naked eye. 

I'll take a look this evening. No light pollution here. Hopefully the skies will be clear.

Oh BTW. Just one word here....

Skynet.

I saw one short string... then they passed into the Earth's shadow.  Later than last night...  and they do seem to be spreading farther apart.

I haven’t spotted the Chinese rocket yet either. Hope I don’t. :blink:

2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I haven’t spotted the Chinese rocket yet either. Hope I don’t. :blink:

Apparently whatever was left after reentry splashed down in the Indian Ocean North of the Maldives.  You can remove your tinfoil helmet now.  Also, SpaceX successfully launched another 60 satellites and recovered the same booster for the tenth time!  Only got to see Elon Musk for part of SNL.  He is something else! 

8 minutes ago, Trailrider #896 said:

Apparently whatever was left after reentry splashed down in the Indian Ocean North of the Maldives.  You can remove your tinfoil helmet now.  Also, SpaceX successfully launched another 60 satellites and recovered the same booster for the tenth time!  Only got to see Elon Musk for part of SNL.  He is something else! 

https://www.spacex.com/launches/

6 minutes ago, Joke &#x27;um said:

How long until they have them flying in formation for advertising?  "TRUMP '24" flying across a night sky near you. . .

I highly doubt that. I would say what I think, but I will choose not to get political…and mean. 

On 5/8/2021 at 12:12 AM, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

... I was driving home from Fresno ~ couldn't see anything while driving.

That could be dangerous! 

Archived