SASS Wire Forum

Thesaurus

Went to the library a while ago and found they were having a sale.  Anything with a purple spot was going for two bits.  I bought a very nearly perfect Roget's Thesaurus to replace one I've had for almost 60 years and practically worn out

For those of you who don't know what a Thesaurus is, I'll explain:  It is a very large prehistoric reptilian monster, thought to be extinct, and noted for its huge vocabulary.

The Saurus

I recall about 40 years or ago, National Lampoon had a couple of pages of dinosaur ID pictures and descriptions. They were hilarious.  Not politically correct and definitely not suitable for prime time.

or this forum. :lol:

9CA77DFA-8D2B-4176-8D31-1407430D1A40.png

And it survived the comet that did the other dinosaurs in!

7 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Went to the library a while ago and found they were having a sale.  Anything with a purple spot was going for two bits.  I bought a very nearly perfect Roget's Thesaurus to replace one I've had for almost 60 years and practically worn out

For those of you who don't know what a Thesaurus is, I'll explain:  It is a very large prehistoric reptilian monster, thought to be extinct, and noted for its huge vocabulary.

These words below attributed to Peter Mark Roget I have used on certain appropriate occasions.   Mr. Roget did more than write about dinosaurs...or some such things.

I am fully aware of the numerous deficiencies and imperfections in my work, and that it falls far short of the degree of excellence that might be attained.  But, where perfection is placed at so great a distance, I have thought it best to limit my ambitions to that moderate share of merit which it may claim in its present form; trusting to the indulgence of those for whose benefit it was intended, and to the candor of critics who, while they find it easy to detect faults, can at the same time duly appreciate difficulties.

P.M. Roget

51 minutes ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

These words below attributed to Peter Mark Roget I have used on certain appropriate occasions.   Mr. Roget did more than write about dinosaurs...or some such things.

I am fully aware of the numerous deficiencies and imperfections in my work, and that it falls far short of the degree of excellence that might be attained.  But, where perfection is placed at so great a distance, I have thought it best to limit my ambitions to that moderate share of merit which it may claim in its present form; trusting to the indulgence of those for whose benefit it was intended, and to the candor of critics who, while they find it easy to detect faults, can at the same time duly appreciate difficulties.

P.M. Roget

And for all that knowledge he still started a sentence with "but".  Miss Morrell is spinning in her grave.

1 hour ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I hope you’re prepared to feed and care for this new addition to your household.  To fail in this, you’ll most certainly face the ire of PETA and the ASPCA!! :ph34r:

I hope that Trinket accepts this new addition as well!! :lol:

8 hours ago, Howlin Mad Murdock SASS #4037 said:

What's another word for Thesaurus?

No, What's on second.

Archived