SASS Wire Forum

.223/5.56 Blanks (and 7.62) non-SASS

John Kloehr

Suggested by a post on the meme thread, I am looking for .223/5.56 blanks that will cycle in an AR platform.

If  actually available at retail online now, that would be a bonus, but any known cycling blanks will do on a punt on the hope I can get them by next April 1st.

The big issue on a quick look is that blanks will not cycle the action; malfunctions is not a good way to have this play out.

My plan is to take my lady for a shoot with some Tannerite but have her not able to "hit" any of it.

Just to be safe and cover my options, bonus points for the same need on the AK platform (7.62X39). 'Cuz she shoots that well too!

:lol:

12 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

Suggested by a post on the meme thread, I am looking for .223/5.56 blanks that will cycle in an AR platform.

If  actually available at retail online now, that would be a bonus, but any known cycling blanks will do on a punt on the hope I can get them by next April 1st.

The big issue on a quick look is that blanks will not cycle the action; malfunctions is not a good way to have this play out.

My plan is to take my lady for a shoot with some Tannerite but have her not able to "hit" any of it.

Just to be safe and cover my options, bonus points for the same need on the AK platform (7.62X39). 'Cuz she shoots that well too!

:lol:

Either platform will require a blank adapter to get enough gas pressure to cycle the action.  This is based on first hand experience (1994) with the M-16/AR-15 platform and with a Romanian AK during an Annual Training where the one of the Special Forces acting as OPFOR let me try out the Romanian AK he was carrying for the training exercise.

I was in the USCG Honor Guard at one funeral. We had to use a screw-on plate to produce enough back pressure to cycle the action.

1 hour ago, Yellowhouse Sam # 25171 said:

When someone mentions 223 blanks I think of the movie Southern Comfort 

Great Cajun music too.

This is why the military uses blank adapters. You cannot get enough gas pressure to cycle the action.

Personally if I were you, I would have nothing to do with this business of tricking your wife or anybody else with blank cartridges.

STOP CONSIDERING THIS!!

BLANKS ARE VERY DANGEROUS!!  PRETTY MUCH THE SAME AS LOADED BULLETS.  THEY CAN AND WILL, KILL.  DON’T ROPE YOUR WIFE, OR ANYONE ELSE, INTO DEALING WITH THEM.  DO YOUR WIFE, YOURSELF AND THOSE OTHERS AROUND YOU A FAVOR AND DON’T MESS WiTH BLANKS  AT ALL!!   BLANKS WILL KILL.....THEY AREN’T A JOKE, AND A WEAPON LOADED WITH THEM IS AS DANGEROUS AS ONE LOADED WITH “REAL” BULLETS!

NEVER POINT A WEAPON, HOWEVER IT’S LOADED, AT ANYONE!

Cat Brules

5 hours ago, Cat Brules said:

Personally if I were you, I would have nothing to do with this business of tricking your wife or anybody else with blank cartridges.

STOP CONSIDERING THIS!!

BLANKS ARE VERY DANGEROUS!!  PRETTY MUCH THE SAME AS LOADED BULLETS.  THEY CAN AND WILL, KILL.  DON’T ROPE YOUR WIFE, OR ANYONE ELSE, INTO DEALING WITH THEM.  DO YOUR WIFE, YOURSELF AND THOSE OTHERS AROUND YOU A FAVOR AND DON’T MESS WiTH BLANKS  AT ALL!!   BLANKS WILL KILL.....THEY AREN’T A JOKE, AND A WEAPON LOADED WITH THEM IS AS DANGEROUS AS ONE LOADED WITH “REAL” BULLETS!

NEVER POINT A WEAPON, HOWEVER IT’S LOADED, AT ANYONE!

Cat Brules

I agree on the potency of blanks, especially at short distances. People have died getting shot with blanks.

My lady is a very experienced shooter, and we both teach firearms safety.

Please note this would be a swap of one live live ammo for another live ammo. Still live ammo, just would not connect with the Tannerite 100 yards in the distance.

But alas, if it can't cycle the action, the idea ends here. She would detect the lower recoil on the first shot and immediately stop to field-strip her firearm and probe for a squib.

One of the options listed above (a blank adapter) is also a non-starter; messing with someone else's firearm configuration is a big no-no. And if live ammo got into a firearm outfitted with an adapter... That might be a bad thing.

We teach to always treat every firearm as if it is loaded; that means treating an unloaded firearm as if it is loaded. One habit for all states, not a different habit for different states.

I believe the meme that started all this would work in an initial sight in situation. 1 bullet to get on paper 1 to adjust windage and elevation.

Or use of blanks for malfunction/jam  training.

Archived