SASS Wire Forum

45LC brass current sources

Johnny Knight

Morning all,

Now that I've go my shiny new Lightning rifle in, it's time to put a few rounds down range.  A quick peak through the ammo boxes revealed that I don't have nearly enough 45LC ammo.  I've still got a few primers left and some powder and bullets on order, but would like to stock up on at least a few hundred more rounds.  Any suggestions on where to track down some more brass would be appreciated.  I went ahead and ordered up 100 from Midway, which had new Starline brass for $32.99/100 just to have some on hand, however I was also looking at a place called No Bull Tactical which was showing 500 rounds of once fired (non-processed) brass for $93.  I can clean up the brass easily enough, but haven't dealt with them before.  Any recommendations would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Johnny

Scour the interwebs and see who has what. Compare prices and make a purchase.

Only problem is, most folks are out of everything. Once fired should be fine; heck, I have fired mine MANY times more than once. : )

eastcoastreloading.com, midsouthshooterssupply.com and evergladesammo.com are a few.

Best of luck.

Thanks for the suggestions.  On the Starline site, they will let you place a backorder and ship 'as soon as available'.  On the No Bull Tactical referenced above, the online store let's you place an order, but then says to call for payment and goes to a voicemail.  So, no idea if they have any in stock or not.  Midway has some as mentioned above, but they are rationing it to 100 rounds/week per customer.

Rainmaker, checking all you sites show them to be out of stock, but will keep looking.  Between what I have and the extra 100 from Midway, I should be good to go for now, but I'll keep my eyes open, just as I'm having to do for primers and powder....welcome to pandemic induced madness...

Regards,

Johnny

Used brass is always a gamble on just how many times it was once fired and what it was used for.  I buy used (once fired) in bulk and lose quite a few pieces to splits.

39 minutes ago, Texas Joker said:

Wow.  $550.00 per thousand for used mixed head-stamp brass.  I found a box of 1000 new .45 brass and have posted it over in the classifieds if anyone is interested

12 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Wow.  $550.00 per thousand for used mixed head-stamp brass.  I found a box of 1000 new .45 brass and have posted it over in the classifieds if anyone is interested

Not any more. It lasted about 5 minutes.

Well, it seems there are quite a few folks looking for 45lc brass.  Midway is now showing out of stock and no back order, as is the source Texas Joker identified.  Yul made a generous offer, which is greatly appreciated.  I should be good to go for the moment, but will be keeping my eyes open to try to build up a little reserves.  Thanks again to everyone for helping to identify some options.

Johnny

OP,

I have Wish Lists and Notify-Me actions set on several vendor web sites.
You have to check them constantly, and every day.
By the time an email notification is sent to you, the items are again sold out.

I also check the Starline Brass page daily for 44 mag... out of stock, no back orders.
I also check daily for H4895 powder, same out of stock conditions.
Supplies are tight right now, and probably for another year (or after November of 2022).

On 5/7/2021 at 9:23 AM, Johnny Knight said:

Morning all,

Now that I've go my shiny new Lightning rifle in, it's time to put a few rounds down range.  A quick peak through the ammo boxes revealed that I don't have nearly enough 45LC ammo.  I've still got a few primers left and some powder and bullets on order, but would like to stock up on at least a few hundred more rounds.  Any suggestions on where to track down some more brass would be appreciated.  I went ahead and ordered up 100 from Midway, which had new Starline brass for $32.99/100 just to have some on hand, however I was also looking at a place called No Bull Tactical which was showing 500 rounds of once fired (non-processed) brass for $93.  I can clean up the brass easily enough, but haven't dealt with them before.  Any recommendations would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Johnny

I ordered and received 500 rounds of .45 Colt brass from No Bull Tactical  couple of weeks back. I ordered on Monday, got the brass Thursday. 

It all appears to be good brass with mixed headstamps. The cannelures in those that have them are pronounced so they appear to be once fired. A few appeared to have been reloaded before but they are in good shape. 

Here’s a photo with example headstamps and cannelures. 
A3BD719A-B21E-4853-9176-A15CEC7EDB28.thumb.jpeg.8521c123057421b7cad11aabca5700e3.jpeg

I went ahead and went through the brass I got from No Bull Tactical just to be sure there were 500 pieces and that they all looked good. They did. I also checked all the Hornady brass, maybe 20 or 25 rounds to make sure none were from Leverevolution ammo. Those pieces would be about a tenth of an inch shorter than regular.45 Colt brass. All were the standard length.  
There was one piece of .44 Special brass. 
There was a total of 516 pieces of .45 Colt brass of various headstamps. 
Here is a list of the headstamps. Some I haven’t heard of. 
36E86BCB-5989-4CFF-A192-D74F73979A97.thumb.jpeg.cf1069c32e5c5104ce64900b2da6231b.jpeg

There are several current auctions for this brass on Gunbroker.  Prices vary from $0.17 to $0.50 per case.  These are poor prices but at least some brass is available.

I would simply order 500 pieces from Starline and let it sit on back-order.  I did that for 1,000 pieces earlier this year and it arrived in a week or so.  As I understand, they schedule production based on back-orders and overruns are placed in inventory.  Your order may be just the amount needed to begin a production run.  

45 Colt #1600 is backordered, but they are still taking back orders.
Same for 45 CS #1640.

Starline prices are the same as Midway, plus Starline offers free shipping.
If I needed 45 brass, I would get my order in, and wait it out.

However, I need 44 mag #1400, and they are not accepting back orders for this brass.
Bummer.

I called over to the folks at No Bull Tactical today, they indicated their website was having issues, but they would take the order over the phone.  I placed an order for 500 pieces.  They said they were running a few days behind and would call for payment info once they had it ready to ship.  I'll keep folks posted.

On 5/7/2021 at 1:20 PM, Johnny Knight said:

Thanks for the suggestions.  On the Starline site, they will let you place a backorder and ship 'as soon as available'. ....

Regards,

Johnny

Starline usually gets it out quicker than you think - Jump on ordering via backorder.

GG ~ :FlagAm:

I have 500 pieces on back order from Starline, so hopefully they will come in before too long.  Just heard back from No Bull Tactical, they had the order ready to ship.  I gave them payment info and had a tracking number within 15 minutes.  In chatting with the owner, he said they had several buckets of once fired 45LC, guesstimating at least a few thousand rounds.  Total cost with tax and shipping was $112/500 pieces, (22.5 cents/piece).  Apparently they are still having issues with their website.  I'll update when the brass gets in, hopefully the next couple of days.  The 200 grain Hi-Tek coated bullets I ordered from Apache Bullets arrived today.  They look good, so when the brass finally gets in, I should have the supplies to get 1000 rounds loaded up.

Just had a note from Starline that they are shipping the order, should be here Friday the 14th according to Fedex.  Since I had placed the order on Friday the 7th, I won't complain about that timing for something on backorder :).  Meanwhile. loaded up around 150 rounds this morning of the Starline brass I received in from Midsouth.

4 hours ago, Johnny Knight said:

Just had a note from Starline that they are shipping the order, should be here Friday the 14th according to Fedex.  Since I had placed the order on Friday the 7th, I won't complain about that timing for something on backorder :).  Meanwhile. loaded up around 150 rounds this morning of the Starline brass I received in from Midsouth.

Same deal here, ordered on Saturday the 8th and Starline shipped the brass today.

Archived