SASS Wire Forum

Reloading bullets

Chicago kidd

A great title for this post would be "Coated Bullet Vendors?"

The better the title, the better the advice you can gather and the less time it takes us all to parse it out.   The short to-the-point question was great. 

It's a hard time to be laying in loading supplies, however.  Be ready to make several inquiries and searches.   And remember that with bullets, buying from a close vendor or at a bigger match you plan to attend can save you the high shipping costs that are only getting higher.   Often times, asking your pards at a local match gets you a vendor name or two you may not have realized is in your backyard.

Thanks for thinking of using our smaller suppliers!   GJ

Agree with #1 answer.  Scarlett Darlin’ is one of the best.  

Best advice I can give you is get the Heck outta Chi! Grew up in west burbs and got out in '88... won't go back but to visit.

The only bullets yer gonna find around there will be whizzin' past yer head. Too much oppression up there anyway.

And Scarlett really is TOPS! There are others but she has always taken care of us.

Not sure if they're "mom & pop", but SNS Casting is in Flanagan, IL and they make very nice coated bullets. 

4 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

Chey-Cast is also a huge supporter of SASS.  Most in stock and fast shipping.

They are first rate and quick

talked with scarlette through e mail and ill be doing business with her  thanks everyone.oh and rain maker im in indiana now with my daughter i used that name while i lived there.would never go back to chicago or illinois to live,

Scarlett delivered to me as promised. I'm not reloading yet, but started laying in supplies for it when things got nuts.

There are a number of good suppliers out there, but you certainly did not make a bad choice IMO.

OP,
Pay attention to the pressures you intend to load.

Different vendors product bullets of varying hardness (BHN).

• BHN= 5 Stick-on wheel weights
• BHN= 8 Clip-on wheel weights

• BHN= 9 Desperado Bullets (uncoated)
• BHN= 9 Ringer Bullets (Hi-Tek) by Special Order
• BHN=10 Big Lube Bullets, Outlaw Bullets, Stateline Bullets
• BHN=12 Missouri Bullets
• BHN=13 Bear Creek Supply
• BHN=14 Gallant Bullets
• BHN=16 Acme, Badman, Bayou, Chey-Cast, Scarlett, SNS, Stateline
• BHN=18 Falcon Bullets, Missouri Bullets
• BHN=19 Cast Performance
• BHN=24 Oregon Trail laser cast

• BHN= 5 is  6,399 psi
• BHN= 9 is 11,518 psi
• BHN=10 is 12,798 psi
• BHN=12 is 15,358 psi
• BHN=13 is 16,637 psi
• BHN=14 is 17,917 psi
• BHN=16 is 20,477 psi
• BHN=18 is 23,036 psi
• BHN=19 is 24,316 psi
• BHN=24 is 30,715 psi

The Brinell Hardness Number has a direct correlation between the softness of a lead bullet vs the required cartridge pressure in PSI.

When the BHN is a match for the PSI, the lead bullet will obturate (seal) effectively in the barrel. 
This is the ideal condition for minimal barrel leading and blow-by.

• BHN= 5 Cast from wheel weights
• BHN= 7 Stick-on wheel weights

Reverse those two.   Stick-on wheel weights, like used on aluminum and mag wheels, are very soft - essentially pure lead.  Right off the wheels, they look like shiny gray Chicklets (but larger).  5 Brinell Hardness

Clip on wheel weights vary a lot, but today are between 8 and 11 Brinell hardness, normally.  As will radioactive isotope storage containers from hospitals.

9 Brinell is hard enough for almost any cowboy bullet.   Even 1911 semi-autos.

good luck, GJ

Done.
Thanks for the tip.
I don't have a Brinell tester, so have to depend on what I can dig out.

I had Ringer custom cast my .358 and .430 specifically as BHN=9 for low pressure use.

You can cast your own and pick up a harbor freight powder coat kit if this shortage keeps up.

Here's a link from Cast Boolits that covers powder coating bullets

Got into it when folks were still experimenting with it.  Was fun to see the process develop

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?184-Coatings-and-Alternatives

New company made up of SASS CAS.   gmail is:   rule1 cowboys@gmail.com.  Great group of guys!!!! Ask for Rollen Cole, Bronc or Captain Cane.  

On 5/7/2021 at 1:12 PM, Two Shoots said:

Not sure if they're "mom & pop", but SNS Casting is in Flanagan, IL and they make very nice coated bullets. 

I like SNS but I think that they are back ordered on most of there bullets.

I order my bullet not sized or lubed.Use Lee sizers & powder coate my own.Just finished 1k 9's & 1k 40's from Bang & Clange.

Largo

Archived