SASS Wire Forum

People using your name

Alpo

Let's say, just for example, your name is John Smith. Someone wishes to buy something you own. You have not been advertising it for sale. They just decided to see if you were interested in selling it. So they text you.

Hey Smith. Would you be interested in selling me your widget?

Notice, they did not say, Mr Smith, or even John. "Hey Smith."

With that color your decision to sell your widget to this person?

We have another person that wishes to buy your widget. He texts you.

Hey John, would you be interested in selling your widget?

Now this man does not know you from Adam's off ox. Yet he addresses you as John, like you are good friends.

Would THIS color your decision?

I have had many texts like this. The ones that call me John annoy me. I don't know these people. I did not give them permission to call me by my first name. But I just recently got one that said, "Hey Smith". That went beyond annoyance, and straight into a combination of pissed off and amazement that anyone would be so damn stupid as to try to do business with someone in that manner.

If I’m of a mind to sell my widget, the one with the most money NOW is the one I’m doing business with!!

The money does the talking.

Well AL, how much will you take for that widget?

P.S. - don't feel too bad, our pard Blackwater gets emails addressed to Mr. Dark & Wet.

:lol:

..........Widder

This approach should tell you which generation they are from. But, as said I am certain you have been called a lot less and money does talk.

If I got a random text asking to buy something I'd ask for a reference. Too many scams out there right now, text and email are red flags. Unless I posted something online with my number and said 'text or email please'. Then its an in-person transaction only. I don't care how they address me, they can call me Mr Crapface and I'll take their money.

If someone calls to buy something thats different. I can talk to them and see what they sound like, ask them questions etc. 

Alpo, I am kind of like you on this. I do not like overly familiar strangers and it puts me off if a stranger gets too familiar too fast. 

I do receive a lot of texts that address me as “Thomas”. That is my given name and the texts are usually from doctor or dental offices or delivery notifications. I do not mind this. But, if I get a text from an entity or an unknown person calling me “Tom”, my nickname or “familiar name” it puts me in my guard if I do not know the texter. If that’s a word. 

The only texts that I have received that called me by my last name only were from what I am sure was a scammer and the text read “Hey (last name) check out this link!”

I did get a text from a veterans charity that called me by my last name a few years ago. That, I really didn’t mind. When I was in the military pretty much all we used were people’s last names. 

I recall something Jeff Cooper said one time.

"When I get a phone call asking to speak to John, I hang up. If they don't know me well enough to know that I go by Jeff, I don't want to talk to them."

Given our predominantly casual culture today the use of my first name would not bother me. Nor would it influence my decision one way or another.

Addressing me by my last name I would consider crass. It would put our encounter off on the wrong foot. Using a last name only is common among groups, as in sports teams, the military etc. 

But it is also used to assert dominance as in the way one would address a servant.

As in ”Oh Smithers, fetch my brandy”

Robots don't understand human social interaction well enought to counterfeit it YET, but they are getting close.

If I don't know your name, I may call you "cowboy" or "dude". :D 

John Wayne called everyone "pilgrim".

I’m just sitting here pondering the fact your name is John Smith...

1 hour ago, Texas Joker said:

Robots don't understand human social interaction well enought to counterfeit it YET, but they are getting close.

Computers don’t understand names like mine. Robert De Groff. So when I get a call from someone who says Hello Robert De, I hang up. “De” ain’t my last name, and it ain’t my middle name either. :P

I don’t like being called, “dude,” not one bit!!   Grrrrr!  >:-0

Cat Brules

I call people dude all the time, because I grew up in the '60s and that's what we said.

I do not, however, say "duuuuude", and if someone calls me that I get annoyed. I am not a Southern California surfer beach bum. Or a Tinja Nurtle.

i generally dont let that first contact annoy me - i dont know who referred them or why they chose the approach - just tell them what you prefer and if that fails sell your widget to someone with manners 

I have disabled incoming calls on my phone. Only “contacts” calls get through. All others go to voice mail. If they don’t leave a message I am not bothered. Wonderful iPhone function. I like it a lot. 

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have disabled incoming calls on my phone. Only “contacts” calls get through. All others go to voice mail. If they don’t leave a message I am not bothered. Wonderful iPhone function. I like it a lot. 

You can block all non contacts on Android as well.  There is also a digit filter amd a custom ringtone setting for contacts only.

I go by my middle name because dad and I had the same first name.  When someone calls on the phone and asks to speak to Roy, I can tell they don’t know me personally.  When  I tell them, “Roy died,” I get interesting reactions.

In general I have no issue with being addressed by my first name. I'm used to it! But, calling me just my last name seems rude unless I know you pretty well. Calling me "Mr. Steve" will cause a likely hang-up.

Ah yes!  The Indians....

I’m afraid I can’t tell you what I say to them.

Cat Brules

Just tell them: “Don’t call me “Boss”.  You understand?!”  (I don’t like it either.)

Cat Brules

That depends. If I am their boss - their superior in where we work - I have no trouble with being called Boss. Back when I was working construction we routinely referred to the job foreman as Boss.

But if someone just calls me Boss, in place of man or bro or dude etc., the correct response would be, "When did you get out of Huntsville?"

Archived