SASS Wire Forum

How senior is "senior"?

A major aerospace company is looking for a "(particular position), Senior" employee.  I'm not really interested in that position, but I wonder...how senior is "senior"?  I'm 78+ years.  Would that be senior enough? :P  (If I applied to that company and was accepted, I'd have to repay about 8 or 9 years worth of pension, since I worked for them previously.)   Wonder if SpaceX could use a "senior" janitor at Boca Chica?  Prior to yesterday's successful flight of SN16, I'd have thought they'd need somebody to "sweep up" the stainless steel pieces of the RUD test articles. :rolleyes: 

8 minutes ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

If you really want that "senior" position, don't call the person that is interviewing you, "Junior."

Or “son or honey!:P

55 minutes ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

I became a "Senior Engineer" at 48 and after I received my BS in Business at age 47.

I guess that makes you a Senior Business Engineer! :lol:

Kajun

10 minutes ago, Krazy Kajun said:

I guess that makes you a Senior Business Engineer! :lol:

Kajun

Sounds about right.   Since I'd gotten a degree, they gave me the job title, "Senior Engineer."   Job didn't change.  But when I asked why, the boss told me when doing overtime they didn't have to pay time-and-a-half for Engineers.  :blink:

Where I work they revamped all the position names before I went back to work there. They bureaucratized the hell out of that place. I didn’t think that was possible…to go further down the dipstick tube. 
Anyway, they made Managers into Directors then created Senior Manager and Senior Director positions this adding more layers of people to blame, exploit or pigeon hole. 

628 days…

7 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Where I work they revamped all the position names before I went back to work there. They bureaucratized the hell out of that place. I didn’t think that was possible…to go further down the dipstick tube. 
Anyway, they made Managers into Directors then created Senior Manager and Senior Director positions this adding more layers of people to blame, exploit or pigeon hole. 

628 days…

They did all this so that they can promote people to their level of incompetence. 

Easier than firing them.

13 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Sounds about right.   Since I'd gotten a degree, they gave me the job title, "Senior Engineer."   Job didn't change.  But when I asked why, the boss told me when doing overtime they didn't have to pay time-and-a-half for Engineers.  :blink:

Ditto the pay thing for the senior analysts at the state.

12 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

They did all this so that they can promote people to their level of incompetence. 

Easier than firing them.

Yep! One of my managers was a case in point until she proved it dismally. Then, they transferred her where she'd have to work. Then, she retired.

15 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

628 days…

Been there.  It sucks.  I can only hope the next 628 days are good for you.

I'm in the midst of leaving what I intend to be my last corporate job and moving into what I plan to do from now and through semi-retirement in 3 to 4 years.  Saner hours (I've been working 60 to 70/week for the last year with no end in sight), a small team of people I know and trust, fun work, and less pressure.  I can already feel the stress leaving me.

11 minutes ago, Ozark Shark said:

Been there.  It sucks.  I can only hope the next 628 days are good for you.

I'm in the midst of leaving what I intend to be my last corporate job and moving into what I plan to do from now and through semi-retirement in 3 to 4 years.  Saner hours (I've been working 60 to 70/week for the last year with no end in sight), a small team of people I know and trust, fun work, and less pressure.  I can already feel the stress leaving me.

Thank you and much good luck to you. 

We just got a new CEO. There’s a rumor that they are going to offer an early retirement package again. I may have to consider that. But, like the last one they offered I didn’t meet all the parameters. Maybe this one will be different. 

On 5/7/2021 at 12:55 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Thank you and much good luck to you. 

We just got a new CEO. There’s a rumor that they are going to offer an early retirement package again. I may have to consider that. But, like the last one they offered I didn’t meet all the parameters. Maybe this one will be different. 

Here's some knee-mail that the package meets your needs and wishes.

Archived