Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Recommended Posts

Speakin' of buffalo - or Bison, if one prefers - just how strong are them boogers?  :huh:

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

Had two soldiers at Fort Sill killed when they ran their VW bug into a bull bison.  The car was compressed by about 4 feet.  The bison was killed but hardly a mark on it.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Boys will be boys!:P

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw a Peterbilt that had a disagreement with a bison bull over right of way. 

 

From what I saw, I figure the contest was a tie since neither left the scene under their own power.

 

Guy nearby used to keep Beefalo (cow/bison hybrids) I've seen what one will do to a Silverado under similar circumstances, too.  I call that one a phyrric victory for the beefalo since it had to be put down later and the Chevy was DRT.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Two thousand pound of beef on the hoof ...
... ONE TON OF SELF PROPELLED MOMENTUM ...
I've long been impressed by the creatures.
Seeing this, I am not only impressed, but guaranteed to give them a wiiiiide berth!

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Kinda like a Cat D-8 with hair.

 

I lost a fraternity brother in 1963 when he hit a bull buff up at Craters of the Moon in Idaho.  He was driving a new T-Bird home for Christmas and he was killed on the spot.  The Fish and Game people found the bull a day later and nearly a mile away, dead from the accident.

  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Dang!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Another one to steer clear of is a Brahma bull.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

That’s a whole lotta ungulate testosterone there!  Imagine what he’d do to a Mini Cooper.

 

Yup!  When I saw the clip my first thought was that one of those dudes is just about the same mass as my Miata.  :huh:

Link to post
Share on other sites

And then you have idiots in Yellowstone who think they can walk up to one and pet it! :blink:

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dutch Wheeler said:

And then you have idiots in Yellowstone who think they can walk up to one and pet it! :blink:

Google 'bison selfie' and prepare to be amazed by the stupid.

 

These folks were allowed out in public unsupervised and look what they did.

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

They don’t like confinement.  I was on inspection duty several times in small packing houses that slaughtered bison.  Your corral and chute panels better be in good shape because bison will give them a test!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Beautiful, impressive animals. The very spirit of the West. 

Tough, big.

A friend of mine had about half a dozen on his ranch. He said, he had to open a gate, pretty often, so they could feel like they were moving. If he forgot, or neglected, to open a gate, and let them into another pasture, they would simply flatten the fence, and migrate into the new pasture. He said they just simply have to move, on a regular basis...or else. 

He said he once saw a mama buffalo, jump a six foot fence, to get to her calf, who had, somehow, gotten on the other side of the fence. 

 

He also said, as big, and tough, as they are, that you can't rope them, like you would a cow...It could/will break their necks, since their necks are so short, and do not seem to have the "give" that a cow's neck does. 

 

He raised one from a calf, and it was human imprinted. He could put a saddle on it, and ride it. It was just like a big dog, friendly, and docile. He had been been fixed, so that, like as not, helped in his disposition. He always spoke to him, as he was approaching him, since they can't see all that well from a distance. I would not want to have taken him by surprise, as gentle as he is. 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Dutch Wheeler said:

And then you have idiots in Yellowstone who think they can walk up to one and pet it! :blink:

 

I like watching the YouTube videos that others take of those people. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes the Buff sneaks up on you!

 

About 30 years ago, my daughter and I were in Yellowstone and I was taking pictures of a geyser while my daughter was sitting on a bench near by. When I turned around, I saw this!

 

image.png.94a49c62dc135c664eb360c87c2af166.png

 

I quietly told my daughter to stay still and be quiet. She did and it continued grazing down the river.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

Beautiful, impressive animals. The very spirit of the West. 

Tough, big.

A friend of mine had about half a dozen on his ranch. He said, he had to open a gate, pretty often, so they could feel like they were moving. If he forgot, or neglected, to open a gate, and let them into another pasture, they would simply flatten the fence, and migrate into the new pasture. He said they just simply have to move, on a regular basis...or else. 

He said he once saw a mama buffalo, jump a six foot fence, to get to her calf, who had, somehow, gotten on the other side of the fence. 

 

He also said, as big, and tough, as they are, that you can't rope them, like you would a cow...It could/will break their necks, since their necks are so short, and do not seem to have the "give" that a cow's neck does. 

 

He raised one from a calf, and it was human imprinted. He could put a saddle on it, and ride it. It was just like a big dog, friendly, and docile. He had been been fixed, so that, like as not, helped in his disposition. He always spoke to him, as he was approaching him, since they can't see all that well from a distance. I would not want to have taken him by surprise, as gentle as he is. 

 

 

 

 

TC Thorntonson would take the newborn 5-7 days after birth to bottle feed and raise.

Harvey and TC can be seen on many SASS advertisements.

He put on some show.

Shanley went to help TC unload his pepto-pink semi and trailer to set up house for Harvey.

Unloaded a rail...then TC's stout mounted horse...then many, many more rails.

He said the closer they moved toward Harvey, the bigger he got!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Harvey and a young bull TC was training both died suddenly.

Was a big miff...

Animal 'rights' advicates were hassleing on TC using the boys for entertainment...then they died.

Suspision and such over the deaths.

Finally found they had caught a bug from sheep, that allthough harmless to them it was deadly to the buffalo.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Back when I was a civilian LEO, we had a seminar on how to handle a loaded cattle liner involved in a vehicle accident on a highway, where the animals got loose and were wandering on the highway.  They said that you have to remember that pigs cannot jump, if you want them to board another vehicle you must build a ramp.  If you have two horses on one side of the highway an 10 on the other side you know that the two will want to join the 10.  The best way was to cut the farmers fence and herd them through it to get them away from the highway (provincial government will pay the farmer/rancher for any damages)  Horses, pigs, sheep and cattle can be herded, but  for Buffalo well, the instructor said that they get go wherever they want.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Wood Buffalo Provincial Park, Alberta in the mid 1950's 

I was camping with my Mother and Dad and we took a drive through the buffalo enclosure.

Car ahead of us bore Quebec plates and was driving a little faster through the enclosure than recommended, when they came upon a small herd of adults and calves.

Driver of the car ahead got impatient with the buff's blocking the road and blew his horn.  When that didn't move them, he started to slowly bump them!

One of the adult buffalo took exception to this and decided to teach this metal thing some manners, by repeatedly butting it.

Front, rad, fenders, side doors got the treatment. I recall broken side windows in the car and a lot of screaming while my Dad reversed our '53 Ford out of the area and to allow the other driver room to escape.  

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Google 'bison selfie' and prepare to be amazed by the stupid.

 

These folks were allowed out in public unsupervised and look what they did.

Having worked as a park ranger, I am never amazed by stupidity. Not even mildly surprised.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.