SASS Wire Forum

I hab a gon. A really beeg gon.

My late grandfather left behind a Super Dakota .41 Magnum like this one:

Super_Dakota_3.jpg

Nothing is set in stone yet, but it just might be passed onto me to keep. I could also have a like-new condition holster with his (and my) initials on it. Not sure how it shoots yet, but i'm trying to acquire some cowboy rounds and give it a test run soon. I don't know if it would be practical for CAS but it's still a cool gun anyway.

8323922676_0e0005158a_n.jpg

• 2 months later...

Small update on this, i've been trying my best to find another one of these in hopes of having a matching pair someday but it's been quite difficult as it's such a rare/obscure model. There is a 5.5 inch barrel version on GunBroker but the seller won't budge on the price they have listed which is much higher than my budget allows at the moment. According to this advertisement, the price for it back then was $117.50 or about $650 in today's dollars:

pix890148555.jpg

This is probably a long shot but if anybody here could find somebody selling another .41 with the 7.5 inch barrel please let me know, the odds of finding one even before this current market were pretty slim so I could really use all the help I could get.

Ref = http://sackpeterson.com/models/dakota.html

Besides its basic color cased and blued model, Jager also did runs in Sheriff, Bisley, Buntline, and Target model configuration.  A catalog like this has become standard fare among replica Peacemaker manufacturers, with those model labels being easy to grasp without much explanation.   

Note that Jager’s Buntline was an ambitiously detailed reproduction.  Some had ladder sights, along with a finely rendered skeleton stock.

Around 1980 EMF also briefly imported the Jager revolver as an unfinished kit.  This was in effect a second take on the old Great Western Arms kit guns (EMF having owned Great Western for a time…).  Jager kits are called “Californian” models.

Inter Continental Arms contracted with Jager for a modern, big-bore hunting revolver to compete with Ruger’s Super Blackhawk.  This model was, not coincidentally, called the Super Dakota.   It featured target sights, an elongated grip assembly, and chambering in a selection of modern performance calibers.  These guns date from 1965 – 1970 or so.  They are high quality.

Jager offered an engraved model to its distributors throughout production years.  Examples will generally conform to one of two basic patterns.  Among earlier production, frames are coin finished and engraved with barrels blued.  Late production engraved guns are nickel plated.  Some of these late examples feature a cattlebrand pattern.   In all cases, engraving was etched or machine rolled.

A US Army commemorative was built in the 1980’s. These are cavalry style .45’s with 7 ½ inch barrels.  1000 is perhaps the proper number to cite as built.  They have their own serial range.  Some but not all may have presentation cases.

Caliber selection was typically a standard fare of .22, .32-20, .357, .38-40, .44-40, and .45.  Auxiliary cylinders could be purchased with several of those chamberings to make for a convertible revolver.

The Dakota was at times available in .30 Carbine, one of a very few production handguns offered in this caliber.

The Dakota could be had by special order in nickel finish.  It was also occasionally supplied with a steel grip assembly.

Standard grips were walnut or a European hardwood.  Grips on earlier built guns are much better looking, sometimes having an olivewood appearance.

Dakotas from 1962 – 1968 have no safety mechanism.  Revolvers from 1969 – 71 or thereabouts generally have a hammer wheel safety.  Revolvers after that have a base pin safety.   On Jagers, this is an odd "twist" base pin rather than the “Swiss” two notch pin that became common on Italian SAA replicas.

Additional history and info on Jager and their pistols at the above link.

Where would you find .41 cal ammo? I guess you could probably reload if you can find the components.

Could it be bored out to .44 or .45?

The .41 Magnum is a great cartridge for hunting as is, and can easily be loaded down to SASS performance.

You will be happy with it.  Ammo should be available at any gun shop.

Duffield

41 magnum should be available at any decent gun store.

That's not 41 Colt, or 41 Remington rimfire. 41 magnum is a mainstream cartridge, and has been since the 1960s.

35 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Where would you find .41 cal ammo? I guess you could probably reload if you can find the components.

Could it be bored out to .44 or .45?

One of the guys in my area's club has both .41 magnum dies and brass, and there's a handful of old bullets left behind as well. I am not sure what other forum I could post on to inquire if someone else had a Super Dakota in the 7.5 inch barrel variety to sell. Another challenge would be finding a .41 magnum lever action rifle to pair with them. :unsure:

Wouldn't hurt to put a WTB post in the classifieds on this site...you might catch a few more people that have missed this post. Bump it once in a while to remind the rest of us and just keep looking...the journey to finding that second one will become part of the memory. I read a post once on a billiards forum about  a collector in England hoping to find a rather rare set (full set) of Camel pool balls and I had told my late wife that I wanted to find that set for him. Two years later, in an antique market, I found an unused set in an antique market in Colorado Springs. Was a great day when I sent him the email on the find. A couple years later, he helped me out with a missing ball to rather rare German 9 ball set.  I'm sure a bunch of us would enjoy keeping eyes out for your desire Dakota.

1 hour ago, Amigo said:

Wouldn't hurt to put a WTB post in the classifieds on this site...you might catch a few more people that have missed this post. Bump it once in a while to remind the rest of us and just keep looking...the journey to finding that second one will become part of the memory. I read a post once on a billiards forum about  a collector in England hoping to find a rather rare set (full set) of Camel pool balls and I had told my late wife that I wanted to find that set for him. Two years later, in an antique market, I found an unused set in an antique market in Colorado Springs. Was a great day when I sent him the email on the find. A couple years later, he helped me out with a missing ball to rather rare German 9 ball set.  I'm sure a bunch of us would enjoy keeping eyes out for your desire Dakota.

That is a good idea, however I can not post to the Classifieds section as I do not have my number yet. I was waiting until I acquired all my gear and began being active first.

On 5/5/2021 at 6:24 PM, Ezra Hawthorne said:

My late grandfather left behind a Super Dakota .41 Magnum like this one:

Super_Dakota_3.jpg

Nothing is set in stone yet, but it just might be passed onto me to keep. I could also have a like-new condition holster with his (and my) initials on it. Not sure how it shoots yet, but i'm trying to acquire some cowboy rounds and give it a test run soon. I don't know if it would be practical for CAS but it's still a cool gun anyway.

8323922676_0e0005158a_n.jpg

Very nice shooter.

My grandfather left me a couple of old Colts and they are the most cherished in my collection.

My first center fire pistol is (I still have it) a Dakota 45 Colt 5.5", adjustable sights. 

599a27bb20868_Holsterssingleaction.jpg.41fb9c085d2aec1dff763136400b9000.jpg

This was the pair of pistols that I shot in first cowboy matches.  I made the carved holster right after buying the gun in early 70s.  Shot a lot of Elmer Keith loads through it. 

2 hours ago, Kid Rich said:

I believe Ruger now owns Marlin and Henry is not bankrupt.

kR

PS I own a Ruger .41 mag revolver

It looks like Marlin stopped production of their .41 lever action in 2007, and even though Ruger owns them they don't appear to be making anything Marlin related anytime soon. Henry does have a .41, but no model with a side gate for some reason. -_-

The 41 Mag is a fine caliber.  Bullets have better statistics than any of the more common calibers.  It will do anything a 44 mag will do until you load the 44 with 310 gr bullets.  I have and will keep an 1894FG Marlin. Loaded with all the W296 that the book will allow under a 260 Keith it will do great damage to the target and somwhat to your shoulder.  Using the same formula from the book I have run a 175 gr. JHP at 1820 fps.

3 hours ago, Ezra Hawthorne said:

.... and even though Ruger owns them they don't appear to be making anything Marlin related anytime soon. 

What I've seen from their own releases and other sources, they in fact plan to manufacture Marlin center-fire lever actions; they say by the end of this year. Have you heard different?

6 hours ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

What I've seen from their own releases and other sources, they in fact plan to manufacture Marlin center-fire lever actions; they say by the end of this year. Have you heard different?

I had read an update last month that they were modernizing/refurbishing the production lines with input from the experienced Marlin work force and intended to get everything finely tuned before restarting production. 

For those of you who recommended 'Store Bought' .41 Mag ammo, are you sure the store bought 

.41 Mag fodder is loaded for 'Cowboy' competition?

EZRA:   Be cautious about shooting "Store Bought" ammo in that .41 Mag at a Cowboy match.   It will

likely be too powerful AND the host club may restrict you from shooting it at their steel plates.

Just thought I would share a bit of caution to the wind.

Otherwise, welcome to SASS and CAS.   Wish you the best.

And, you have a great alias.

..........Widder

13 hours ago, Alpo said:

In reference to a 41 magnum rifle - Marlin used to make the 1894 in 41, and Henry currently makes the Golden Boy in it.

ALPO,

does Henry call it the "Golden Boy"..... or the 'Big Boy'?

..........Widder

Tell you true, I don't know.

I don't have anything to do with Henry. When they started out by saying that they were the original Henry rifle company - and as far as I know they are the original Henry rifle company, as there has never been any other company called the Henry rifle company, but this certainly implies that they are the people that made the original Henry rifle, which is bull chips - and then continued on by saying that their lever action rifle was SASS-legal when it wasn't (and yes I know they are now but they were not then), annoyed me. I've heard they make wonderful guns. I've heard they absolutely positively stand behind everything they make.

But they lie in their advertising, so I don't deal with them.

1 hour ago, Amigo said:

I had read an update last month that they were modernizing/refurbishing the production lines with input from the experienced Marlin work force and intended to get everything finely tuned before restarting production. 

That's good news for those of us who wish to buy new Marlin products, I just wonder how difficult it would be these days to find a lever action in .41 that is used so it doesn't completely break the bank.

I'm with Alpo in that Henry's advertising shaded the truth and it's left a bad taste in my mouth since. They still seem to imply ancient lineage.

Other companies do this stuff. About a year ago, I bought a Browning 'BAR' semi-auto. A beautiful rifle. But it's not a BAR, but they call it that, and in their literature and videos they imply a 'continuation' of the real BAR, the famous squad light machine gun. Which is ridiculous.

And the other thing: why call a semi-auto hunting rifle an 'automatic rifle', especially in this day and age and especially when it's not.

For money, I assume.

I've worked on and modified probably 250+ Marlin 1894 rifles the past few years.

I don't recall ever seeing even ONE in .41 Mag.     They're out there somewhere, but they

are hard to find.   Their owners cherish them and love that .41 Mag caliber.

Good luck on finding a good one that don't require a trip to Wells Fargo.

..........Widder

Howdy,

I had a quick look at gb and there are a couple marlin 41 for sale.

Not cheep but what is today?

The octagon barrel one sure looks like money in the bank.

Up to you of course but octagon is sooooo fine.

Best

CR

4 minutes ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

I had a quick look at gb and there are a couple marlin 41 for sale.

Not cheep but what is today?

The octagon barrel one sure looks like money in the bank.

Up to you of course but octagon is sooooo fine.

Best

CR

Thanks but this post was primarily about trying to find another Super Dakota revolver first.

Archived