SASS Wire Forum

Found Some Black Hills 45-70.

Brazos John

I found boxes of Black Hills 45-70 round flat point lead for $44 a box, or 2 for $96 out the door. Two box limit. They still have more.

Is that a decent price? Or did I let the ammo-shortage-fever get to me?

Now I have to get me a gun that shoots it!

Just kidding, got a couple.

If interested, they're at Tomball Pawn on FM 2920, just west of Business 249.

I get no remuneration for this - just letting local shootists know about it.

Brazos

I have seen it a lot higher priced than that. I'd pay $44/box right now.

28 minutes ago, Brazos John said:

I found boxes of Black Hills 45-70 round flat point lead for $44 a box, or 2 for $96 out the door. Two box limit. They still have more.

Is that a decent price? Or did I let the ammo-shortage-fever get to me?

Now I have to get me a gun that shoots it!

Just kidding, got a couple.

If interested, they're at Tomball Pawn on FM 2920, just west of Business 249.

I get no remuneration for this - just letting local shootists know about it.

Brazos

At the Lebanon, TN gun show last Saturday they were going for $100 a box of 20 and people were paying it.

Save your brass. For that price you can buy a Lee Single stage press, powder, lead and primers if you can find them. A set of Lee dippers and you're rolling your own!

The prices I have seen I would buy two boxes and I don't even have a 45-70..

The reason it is $44 for box of 20 at Tomball Pawn is because other vendors are out of stock at $33  & $37 per box of 20 -  405gr rounds

40 minutes ago, John Boy said:

The reason it is $44 for box of 20 at Tomball Pawn is because other vendors are out of stock at $33  & $37 per box of 20 -  405gr rounds

After I posted, I looked it up, and had that sinking feeling when I saw $33, but then I saw the Backorder button, so I figured 2 birds in the hand are worth a little extra seed. 

Right now, in this "shortage" climate, $44.00 a box ( of 20 ???) may not be such a bad deal...if you compare that price to some others out there.

BUT, I presume that is for a box of 20??? If so, that factors out at $2.20 per cartridge, not counting the sales tax. 

Boy howdy...that is a choker!!! 

So far, I am still waiting it out. I can say that because I have a few flintlocks to shoot, to tide me over until, hopefully, this insanity has past. So, right now, I refuse to pay that much.

Unless they somehow find, and corner the market on rocks that cause a spark, I will continue to shoot my flintlocks, and they can eat the cartridges, as far as I am concerned. It's the law of supply and demand....so....I simply won't buy anything, and if enough folks don't, then the supply will increase, and perhaps, the prices will come down. The operative word here is "perhaps". 

At some point-in-time, supply will catch up, and some folks may be stuck with some high priced items, that they will have to take a loss on if they want to sell them. Yep, that time may be quite a ways down the road, and a long time coming, but no matter how slow, it will get here, eventually.

I will wait it out, and we shall see who blinks first...me or them. I'm bettin' on them blinking first. 

not at all sure what the going rate is , i reload my own , but these days anything is better than nothing , save your brass and reload what you shoot 

Archived