SASS Wire Forum

Bragging about being slow

3 hours ago, Smuteye John SASS#24774 said:

Shot a local match one time where the weather turned bad suddenly the night before and only 7 folks showed up, so we shot anyhow. 

I finished 4th.

I am kind of like you in this regard. I am not bad. I am not good. At least that is how it is for me shooting when handguns are involved. 

I will never forget my first Third Place ribbon at a match. I was stoked! Then my Pard says “There were only 3 of us shooting Duelist today.” Didn’t matter to me. I got third place, by golly! :D

I am usually in the middle of the pack but every once in a while I shine. I got first place at a match in Oregon shooting Duelist once. I was 1st out of 12 shooters. I was just having a good day that day. I still have that first place poker chip around here somewhere. 

I came in dead last at a match and had tons of fun shooting Josey Wales. 

I did come in first in frontier cartridge gunfighter at a two-day match by default.  I cleaned a Texas star at that match when few others did.  

Howdy YA All;

By choice I burn 2.4 Oz. Of Goex 3F on a 10-10-4 Stage !

And yes I DO Know it slows me down , but I choose to shoot loads that match the loads of the 1870s and 1880s, in other words Old-time Cowboy loads ...

But I also understand there are Friends of mine that like to win, Good Friends like Whistlin Will, that Young Man that went to WR just after his 18th Birthday.

He and I have been Buddies since he ran around with toy guns shouting "Bang" and always showing me his Knife collection. You won't meet a nice Cowboy anywhere, and his Folks are pure Gold in my Book as well.

Play the Game How you want, NOBODY says, or shouldn't SAY you have to DO it this way as long as you stay with-in the rules of the game !

Jabez Cowboy

15 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Why is it that some shooters like to brag about how badly they shoot?   Around here in the desert southwest even shooters well into their 80s shoot as quickly as they can.  I have never heard anyone say I am out here to shoot slowly.  Why would anyone brag about how crummy they shoot?  

I've been shooting SASS since 1997, at the beginning I was competitive, shot 3 or 4 matches a month, was usually in the top 5 at local matches and top 10% at state level matches.  And then I realized that I was taking things way too seriously and  I wasn't having fun anymore.  I tried different categories for a couple of years and found that FCGF was where things were fun again.  Now I shoot either C&B or a pair of Ruger Bisleys in .44 Magnum with not light loads and either a 10 g with heavy BP loads or a 12 with 100 grs of BP.   Sure I finish in the bottom third at a state level match, but I'm having fun again.   I'd don't keep track of my score anymore and if I start getting under 40 second stages I start pulling both triggers on the 10 g on the shotgun targets.

Not everyone is shooting SASS to compete.

I think the Henry BB is an ugly gun and not a real good choice for SASS, but if you want one or already bought it, it's your choice. 

I was terrible when I started and it took a while to get ok. Now 19 years later, age and injuries are taking their toll, but shooting at a match is still one of my favorite things to do. My goals? Be safe and have fun, life is too short. 

Part of the beauty of SASS is there are multiple aspects of the game that appeal to different people in different ways.

Can we clarify one thing please?  For those of you who mentioned you're only there to 'enjoy yourself' or to 'have fun'.  Please, understand, those of us who are there to shoot as fast as we can and try to win are doing that because that is the aspect of the game we find the most fun, or enjoyable.

I shoot with some pretty fast shooters, certainly faster than me, and I am 100% confident that they are at matches for the same reason you are and I am, to have fun. 

With no intention of bragging, I'm slower because I shoot full loads of black powder in a big bore. Its a balancing act for me, I feel better shooting period appropriate powder in a big bore rifle, than I would shooting smaller calibers with cowboy loads. I might get faster with time, but its not my priority.

To each their own, to me the game is less about winning than it is about 'playing' with my toys

18 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

$#!t! Does that mean you get slower with time?:lol:

Also means you don't remember half the matches you shot so everything seems twice as fast.

11 hours ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Howdy YA All;

By choice I burn 2.4 Oz. Of Goex 3F on a 10-10-4 Stage !

And yes I DO Know it slows me down , but I choose to shoot loads that match the loads of the 1870s and 1880s, in other words Old-time Cowboy loads ...

But I also understand there are Friends of mine that like to win, Good Friends like Whistlin Will, that Young Man that went to WR just after his 18th Birthday.

He and I have been Buddies since he ran around with toy guns shouting "Bang" and always showing me his Knife collection. You won't meet a nice Cowboy anywhere, and his Folks are pure Gold in my Book as well.

Play the Game How you want, NOBODY says, or shouldn't SAY you have to DO it this way as long as you stay with-in the rules of the game !

Jabez Cowboy

Your post made me laugh about reactions I have gotten from folks when I shoot my .45s. I loaded them with 205 grain Bear Creek Supply RNFP bullets at 900 FPS. Quite often people thought something was wrong when I was ringing steel. 

5 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

Part of the beauty of SASS is there are multiple aspects of the game that appeal to different people in different ways.

Can we clarify one thing please?  For those of you who mentioned you're only there to 'enjoy yourself' or to 'have fun'.  Please, understand, those of us who are there to shoot as fast as we can and try to win are doing that because that is the aspect of the game we find the most fun, or enjoyable.

I shoot with some pretty fast shooters, certainly faster than me, and I am 100% confident that they are at matches for the same reason you are and I am, to have fun. 

Captain, I bet you don't look down your nose at those that brag about being slow or use slow guns.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Your post made me laugh about reactions I have gotten from folks when I shoot my .45s. I loaded them with 205 grain Bear Creek Supply RNFP bullets at 900 FPS. Quite often people thought something was wrong when I was ringing steel. 

205s? Why so light? :lol:

36 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

205s? Why so light? :lol:

I tried them out versus 255 grain BCS bullets and I got more consistent accuracy with my loads using Universal powder with them, especially in the New Vaquero. My original Vaquero 7.5” loves everything I feed it. I wish to heck I could find a decent mate to that one. Much better shooter, in my opinion. 

3 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I tried them out versus 255 grain BCS bullets and I got more consistent accuracy with my loads using Universal powder with them, especially in the New Vaquero. My original Vaquero 7.5” loves everything I feed it. I wish to heck I could find a decent mate to that one. Much better shooter, in my opinion. 

Like you Pat, I used the lighter bullets with my .45 Colt Uberti revolvers with 7.5-inch barrels.  Heavier balls hit about 6 inches high at 20 yards.  Can't have that.  Lighter bullets about 1 inch high.  

j9fToM.jpg

35 minutes ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Like you Pat, I used the lighter bullets with my .45 Colt Uberti revolvers with 7.5-inch barrels.  Heavier balls hit about 6 inches high at 20 yards.  Can't have that.  Lighter bullets about 1 inch high.  

j9fToM.jpg

Ooh…I like those grips. :)

I recently bought some 255 grain bullets from Bear Creek Supply to play around with to see if I could get better accuracy with them with a variety of loads. But my main goal is to create some loads for my S&W model 25. 

2 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Ooh…I like those grips. :)

I recently bought some 255 grain bullets from Bear Creek Supply to play around with to see if I could get better accuracy with them with a variety of loads. But my main goal is to create some loads for my S&W model 25. 

My two S&W double-action revolvers (625-9 & 25-5) prefer the 255 grain bullets. 

Cowboy guns, 200 grain bullets. 

Life does have its difficulties. :)

1 minute ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

My two S&W double-action revolvers (625-9 & 25-5) prefer the 255 grain bullets. 

Cowboy guns, 200 grain bullets. 

Life does have its difficulties. :)

That is good to know. I am going to start experimenting tomorrow. :D

6 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Captain, I bet you don't look down your nose at those that brag about being slow or use slow guns.

I don’t think I’ve ever shot with anyone who bragged about being slow, but I’ve definitely shot with people who made it clear that speed wasn’t important to them. 

I don’t look down on people for having different tastes than me. 

I TO’ed for a Frontiersman not long ago, not running for speed, but still cool to watch him running those cap and ball pistols. 

Same match we had a shooter going Josey Wales and using a Schofield for the shotgun. I was impressed with how he dealt with 10-10-6 stages by opening that Schofield and loading a sixth round. 

Different strokes for different folks, but giving people space to enjoy their aspect of the game goes both ways.

I started with a Henry Big Boy: had all bad comments said to me, so then moved to a Long Hunter 73.  Shot clean matches with both of guns, got bored quit SASS and traded the 73 for two GP100’s, but I kept the Henry.  

I ask people have you shot a Henry and they always say no; I say try it’s fun at 100 yards.

I shot as fast a I Thought was safe for me.  

If I could only shoot one gun the rest of my life it would be Thompson Center at long range Silhouette targets.  Sometimes slow is fun :)

I don't care what somebody shoots at a match. That's their prerogative. I just hate to see someone struggling to get one of the Big Boys to work on the firing line. There was a guy on our warm-up posse at Winter Range in 2016 who shot four stages with a Big Boy and was so totally frustrated with it by the end of the fourth stage that I thought he might bash it on the unloading table.

And they're ugly besides... :D 

On 5/6/2021 at 4:25 PM, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

j9fToM.jpg

I loaded up some 255 grain bullets at velocities from 750 FPS up through almost 900 FPS snd I’ll be darned if they all didn’t hit from 6” high at slower speeds to 4” high at higher velocities with both my Rugers, but the S&W hit point of aim on all loads higher than 800 FPS. :D

All three guns grouped well at 10 yards with a load that I estimate was right around 825 through the 7.5” Vaquero. So if I load these I will just aim at the 6 O’clock with the Rugers. 

YAY! I finally wasn't the slowest shooter today! And if I hadn't missed with two rounds I would have been 6th from the bottom instead of third from the bottom. I am pleased as the rounds were from a new 73 rifle that I hadn't been able to take to the range before shooting it cold.

Archived