SASS Wire Forum

Bragging about being slow

Why is it that some shooters like to brag about how badly they shoot?  This most frequently comes up when discussing the Henry Big Boy.  At least once a month someone will post, "I just saw a Henry Big Boy and think it is beautiful.  Do they make a good SASS rifle?"  First, you have to wonder about anyone that thinks the Big Boy is beautiful.  But, I digress.  98 people will respond that it is unreliable, slow, and not a good rifle for SASS.  A great hunting rifle but a terrible rifle for competition.  Then the 99th person will pipe up and say "they work fine as long as you operate them slowly."  The 100th reponder will say "it goes as fast as I can shoot."  Around here in the desert southwest even shooters well into their 80s shoot as quickly as they can.  I have never heard anyone say I am out here to shoot slowly.  Why would anyone brag about how crummy they shoot?  What is even more weird is that the original poster will ignore the 98 responses that caution against buying the Big Boy and follow the advice of the two that admit they can't shoot.

The Henry rifles have a cult following outside of SASS.  Many of them are sold to people who have no intention of ever shooting them...instant family heirloom classification.  Others get tired of shopping local gun stores and not finding any Marlins, Ubertis or Winchesters, and are blinded by the sleek lines and colors of the Henry.  

I have one of the Henry 22s.  It won't run with my '80s era Marlin 39A, speed wise.  But it hangs right in there accuracy wise, and was 1/3 the current price of a 39A.  

2 minutes ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

The Henry rifles have a cult following outside of SASS.  Many of them are sold to people who have no intention of ever shooting them...instant family heirloom classification.  Others get tired of shopping local gun stores and not finding any Marlins, Ubertis or Winchesters, and are blinded by the sleek lines and colors of the Henry.  

I have one of the Henry 22s.  It won't run with my '80s era Marlin 39A, speed wise.  But it hangs right in there accuracy wise, and was 1/3 the current price of a 39A.  

Rght.  But this post is about SASS and does not include .22s.  The Big Boy is a big bore.

They’re trying to justify not practicing so as to improve their crappy shooting.   They are making light of the airport shooting skills, while at the same time, doing nothing to improve their poor shooting skills.

CB

Well, I shoot slow and I think the HBB does look nice.

But as to your last sentence... I agree and do not understand how someone who does want to shoot fast would choose a HBB. But if they just want to shoot and they think the gun looks good to them? And if they joined SASS for the social aspects rather than to be competitive? Well, if they then ask me what I think of their HBB, I'll tell them I think it looks nice.

I do shoot slow but think I can improve to the point I would outrun a HBB so I chose an 1873 for myself. It does need a little work as I can outrun it too (but barely).

I'm not bragging about shooting slow, I just don't want to use my equipment as a reason for doing so. I can be faster with shotgun if I make lighter loads but the gun is not holding me back. My revolvers? I have not outrun them at all. On them, I truly can say I am slow.

2 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Rght.  But this post is about SASS and does not include .22s.  The Big Boy is a big bore.

Well, alright.  Not everybody is gifted with speed of hand and the ability to run a sub 15 second stage.  Those that can't shoot that fast still can and do enjoy shooting CAS.  And if they want to poke fun of themselves for the enjoyment of others, so be it.    

2 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

Well, I shoot slow and I think the HBB does look nice.

But as to your last sentence... I agree and do not understand how someone who does want to shoot fast would choose a HBB. But if they just want to shoot and they think the gun looks good to them? And if they joined SASS for the social aspects rather than to be competitive? Well, if they then ask me what I think of their HBB, I'll tell them I think it looks nice.

I do shoot slow but think I can improve to the point I would outrun a HBB so I chose an 1873 for myself. It does need a little work as I can outrun it too (but barely).

I'm not bragging about shooting slow, I just don't want to use my equipment as a reason for doing so. I can be faster with shotgun if I make lighter loads but the gun is not holding me back. My revolvers? I have not outrun them at all. On them, I truly can say I am slow.

I am not braggin' when I say I shoot slower than most.

Proof is in the score sheets.

I am always in the bottom third.

BUT...not my guns fault...

I don't  WON'T 'practice' outside of shooting a match.

That would take all the fun out of it.

Howdy Larsen.

Of the few (very few) that I have witnessed using the HBB, it seems they want to use it as an

excuse for their poor performance at the match.

You can hear some of them say: 'I could do little better but I'm shooting the HBB',  etc.....

..........Widder

1 minute ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

And Larson...I love ya buddy, and enjoy watching those sub 20 and sub 15 sec stages! 

You must be watching the shooter in front of or behind me.  I can shoot a sub 15 second stage but then they want me to shoot the rifle and shotgun.

20 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

What is even more weird is that the original poster will ignore the 98 responses that caution against buying the Big Boy and follow the advice of the two that admit they can't shoot.

That’s because they weren’t really looking for advice or information. What they really wanted was validation for a decision they had already made before their post. 

2 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

You must be watching the shooter in front of or behind me.  I can shoot a sub 15 second stage but then they want me to shoot the rifle and shotgun.

I still love ya!!!

33 minutes ago, Cat Brules said:

They’re trying to justify not practicing so as to improve their crappy shooting.   They are making light of the airport shooting skills, while at the same time, doing nothing to improve their poor shooting skills.

CB

I shoot slow. I have never shot SASS to be competitive but to enjoy myself. As a younger man I was pretty competitive and an instructor for years. I no longer burn for the thrill of victory. I don’t brag about it. I shoot at my own pace. I never make light of the shooting sports. But personallyI don’t really care if I shoot a stage in 0 seconds or 90. Not everyone comes rom the same mold.

Bob U have to hesitate after each shot in order for the smoke to clear.

Largo

I am not a fast shooter as compared to some. My goal in this game, sport, whatever is to have fun. For years I shot a Winchester 94 Trails End and for years I heard “that gun’s too slow”, “you need a 73”, “you need a slicked up gun built by (whoever)” my usual response was “Well, if you’re buying it for me then, cool. I’ll take one”. That usually ended that.
Honestly, I think I kept shooting the 94 just because it irked people. :lol:

I am kind of a pain in the backside anyway. 
I think some people brag about being slow because they just don’t care to be fast. They see it as not going with the flow or running with the pack. Or, maybe they’re just slow and they have no way of knowing how to get faster so they joke about it. 
I honestly don’t care as long as they aren’t impacting my fun. 

Now, what I do care about is “they” have taken a really fun sport and turned into a gamer’s game. It’s all about speed now. That chaps my hide a bit. 

Bottles, a round on me. 

I bought a 73 after Kaya started beating me so badly running her 73. My wife asked what it would take to regain my manhood. I said THAT rifle! Got it that day. 

16 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

.... a 4 second (slow) hit beats a 1 1/2 second (fast) miss every time ......   :ph34r:

BUT... if you go 4 seconds with rifle and 4 seconds with pistols and CLEAN,

and someone goes 1.5 with rifle and 1.5 with pistols with a MISS..... it even out.

:lol:

Then the fastest with SG will determine the final time.

..........Widder

rifle = 10 x 1.5 seconds (10 misses) = 65 seconds

+

revolver = 10 x 1.5 seconds (10 misses) = 65 seconds

............ so far 130 seconds    +

how many shotgun re-engagements

against 80 seconds + shotgun engagement time = a bit less (usually)   :ph34r:

Bragging about being slow.

Another way of saying,

"I'll never be the fastest, but I'm here for the fun of shooting my guns as fast as I can."

Yes, I'm slow.  And proud to say it, because I'm having as much fun as those that are faster than me.

By golly!

My SASS guns:

Two Uberti SSA's with 7.5-inch barrels in .45 Colt.

Two Uberti Open Tops with 7.5-inch barrels in .45 Colt

One Uberti Model 1873 rifle (unmodified) in .45 Colt.

One Beretta Model GR-2 double barrel with 30-inch barrels in 12-gauge.

Does it look like from my guns that I'm trying to be the fastest?  But I shoot them as fast as I can.

So tell me I don't practice to be fast or I should be shamed for not striving for ultimate speed. 

I ask you:  Where's your Spirit of the Game?

15 minutes ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Bragging about being slow.

Another way of saying,

"I'll never be the fastest, but I'm here for the fun of shooting my guns as fast as I can."

Yes, I'm slow.  And proud to say it, because I'm having as much fun as those that are faster than me.

By golly!

My SASS guns:

Two Uberti SSA's with 7.5-inch barrels in .45 Colt.

Two Uberti Open Tops with 7.5-inch barrels in .45 Colt

One Uberti Model 1873 rifle (unmodified) in .45 Colt.

One Beretta Model GR-2 with 30-inch barrels in 12-gauge.

Does it look like from my guns that I'm trying to be the fastest?  But I shoot them as fast as I can.

So tell me I don't practice to be fast or I should be shamed for not striving for ultimate speed. 

I ask you:  Where's your Spirit of the Game?

"But I shoot them as fast as I can."

And that is sort of the point of the thread.

Remember folks this is the Saloon.  No hurt feelings just fun provocative conversation.

46 minutes ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Where's your Spirit of the Game?

Great post!

I want to go fast(er). And when first looking at this game, I was specifying 357 Magnum guns (for weight to help with recoil) running .38 Special smokeless. Hey, that is what the top shooters are running and it works for them.

But... Spirit of the game, or is it romance of the game? .38 Special rounds are skinny, they don't feel "cowboy" to me. To be "cowboy" (to me), they need to be a bit fatter. Enter .45LC.

But I want to go fast, so not right for a revolver. Sure, they will shoot in a revolver, but the recoil!

Also, my chosen alias. John Kloehr. His rifle was 44-40... Wheels spin in my head. .44-40 is a fat round. Can do that in revolvers too... But still a lot of recoil in the revolvers. All things considered.

Hmm, .44 Special revolvers but they can run .44 Russian. Getting there. Got fat rounds and recoil is under control. But I'm still feeling a bit like a gamer. As if .38 Special isn't gaming. Need something else to fill out the "romance" of the old west as portrayed in movies.

Black Powder (OK, APP sub). Now it all fits together. I'm not as fast as I could be, but I can be fast enough. I can be faster than some slicked guns, faster than almost all un-slicked guns. And I have fun. And I can check my times to sort of get an idea if I am improving and can certainly check my rank against other regular  shooters at monthly matches to see if I am improving. And I am challenged. And I have zoned in on my interpretation of  the romance of the old west. And once I get set up for reloading, I'll make that switch from smokeless to smoke. And I expect my times to suffer. But I will have fun.

So that is how I got to my gear, if someone else finds the same pleasure in their HBB in whatever caliber independent of smoke, I'm not going to pee in their Cheerios. Depending on the wind and my (future) smoke, they may actually beat my time.

27 minutes ago, Wallaby Jack, SASS #44062 said:

As a slow-ish shooter, I figger that I get more fun for my entry dollar than those who shoot faster than me.

................ I get more "trigger time" than they do ......   ;)

My first match was Outlaw Trails in 2008...

Capt Baylor and I became friends (weather he wanted to or not)

His article in the CC was " for instance: Long Hunter took Overall with 160.0 (add libbing actaual time, as I can't remember) and Singin' Sue placed 230th with 333.0

So, she actually enjoyed the match 3 times more than Long Hunter"

I don't care how slow, how fast, how accurate, how inaccurate, how purty your rifle is or how ugly your rifle is. If you like it, then it's fine with me. 

Just get out and shoot a match every once and a while. You'll like it and your old friends will like it. Sometimes, just seeing an old friend makes the trip worth the effort and you wish the time had gone slower....

3 hours ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Howdy Larsen.

Of the few (very few) that I have witnessed using the HBB, it seems they want to use it as an

excuse for their poor performance at the match.

You can hear some of them say: 'I could do little better but I'm shooting the HBB',  etc.....

..........Widder

I need a HBB if that will work as an excuse.

I shot faster 15 years ago when we shot 5-6 times a month. 

1 minute ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

I need a HBB if that will work as an excuse.

I shot faster 15 years ago when we shot 5-6 times a month. 

Allie I don't think it was shooting 5-6 times a month.  I think it was the 15 years.  :rolleyes:

I thought about getting a Henry for CAS then remembered all the bellyachin’ I heard when I shot my Winchester 94 and didn’t want to hear it so I bought a Marlin 1894 CB. I swear to gawd, first stage of the first match I shot my new Marlin I was a little slow and the guy running the timer said “You need to get you a 73!”

It was as if there was a practical joking Angel there just pushing my buttons. :lol:

I smiled and said “Thanks” and took my guns to the reloading table. :D

I do want a Henry, but not for CAS. I want one of their carbines in .45 Colt. I would like their “all weather” gun but they don’t make it a carbine. Yet…

I should call them. 

6 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Allie I don't think it was shooting 5-6 times a month.  I think it was the 15 years.  :rolleyes:

$#!t! Does that mean you get slower with time?:lol:

3 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Why is it that some shooters like to brag about how badly they shoot?  This most frequently comes up when discussing the Henry Big Boy.  At least once a month someone will post, "I just saw a Henry Big Boy and think it is beautiful.  Do they make a good SASS rifle?"  First, you have to wonder about anyone that thinks the Big Boy is beautiful.  But, I digress.  98 people will respond that it is unreliable, slow, and not a good rifle for SASS.  A great hunting rifle but a terrible rifle for competition.  Then the 99th person will pipe up and say "they work fine as long as you operate them slowly."  The 100th reponder will say "it goes as fast as I can shoot."  Around here in the desert southwest even shooters well into their 80s shoot as quickly as they can.  I have never heard anyone say I am out here to shoot slowly.  Why would anyone brag about how crummy they shoot?  What is even more weird is that the original poster will ignore the 98 responses that caution against buying the Big Boy and follow the advice of the two that admit they can't shoot.

Could be a "no brag, just fact" situation.

Some people are naturally self-deprecating. I know I tend to be that way. Some of it is simply not taking oneself too seriously. Some of it is a sort of defense mechanism when someone is a bit self-conscious. I doubt it is ever bragging.

As for the rifle, @Abilene Slim SASS 81783expressed my opinion best on that.

That’s because they weren’t really looking for advice or information. What they really wanted was validation for a decision they had already made before their post. 

2 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I shoot slow. I have never shot SASS to be competitive but to enjoy myself. As a younger man I was pretty competitive and an instructor for years. I no longer burn for the thrill of victory. I don’t brag about it. I shoot at my own pace. I never make light of the shooting sports. But personallyI don’t really care if I shoot a stage in 0 seconds or 90. Not everyone comes rom the same mold.

I’m with you Bob as a young man I burned 40k rounds a year and was state champion in the Pa. Police Olympics and a high level Metallic Silhouette shooter so I could shoot. It became so competitive with all the bitching and complaining that I gave up when it ceased to be fun. 
I joined SASS to relax and shoot old guns not to compete. I don’t practice and never checked my score. I don’t shoot anymore for the same reason. The fun is gone 

43 minutes ago, Henry T Harrison said:

I’m with you Bob as a young man I burned 40k rounds a year and was state champion in the Pa. Police Olympics and a high level Metallic Silhouette shooter so I could shoot. It became so competitive with all the bitching and complaining that I gave up when it ceased to be fun. 
I joined SASS to relax and shoot old guns not to compete. I don’t practice and never checked my score. I don’t shoot anymore for the same reason. The fun is gone 

There is still fun.

We choose matches that are fun, a bit of challenge and fun stages.

We ask to be on fun posse/non-serious posse.

We stay away from the groups who gather after the days shooting, only to discuss what they did (or someone else did) and disect the stages play by play.)

We get with those who gather and talk about their lives, plans, grandkids, ect.

Check my signature line.

I'm a middle of the pack shooter.  On a good day I'm at the upper part of the middle 1/3.  On a bad one I'm at the bottom of the middle 1/3. 

Shot a local match one time where the weather turned bad suddenly the night before and only 7 folks showed up, so we shot anyhow. 

I finished 4th.

If that's not the definition of being 'middle of the pack' I don't know what is.

On the other hand, I'm not the most physically gifted to start with.  Remember that kid that was always picked last no matter what sport you were playing at recess?  You know, the one that normal team captains took turns being stuck with? 

That was me as a kid- so being middle of the pack is a step up.

Archived