SASS Wire Forum

Good wire cutters??

Chili Ron

Howdy,

I just havent needed much in the way of wire cutters until now.

Any suggestions on some good cutters?

I would just like to get some good ones the first time and not

have to buy several first.

I sorta want the blackhawk 357 of wire cutters, I guess.

Best

CR

I've owned many pairs of wire cutters over the years. Finally gave up a couple of years ago and bought a pair of  FELCO  cutters. Made in Switzerland. Absolutely wonderful. Cut piano wire and small (3/16")stainless steel cable like butter.

Get the right tool for the right job. What kind of wire is the intended target? The job standard for the electrical field is Klein side cutters, 2000 series. Klein makes tools for every kind of wire cutting job that you can imagine. Everything from 22 gauge wire to 1000 MCM wire.

A good fencing pliers for barbed wire.  Has two cutters, hammer and staple puller.  A large lineman's pliers for other work.  Those fancy circular cutters for wire rope so it doesn't come unwound.  Can't have too many tools.

I buy Snap-On cutters. Lifetime guarantee as long as you use them for what they are made for. Trouble is you have to track down a Snap-On dealer to buy them or exchange them. 

I also second Klein tools. Very good tools for the money. 

Those big lineman’s pliers, with the heavy cutter works on most jobs.  Don’t ruin it on barbed wire..... Once you get to that size get a pair of small cable cutters.

Cat Brules

I never have known who the moderator are/were ‘cept for Allie Mo.  Then, I think she quit.....(they wanted to lower her pay!).  

Cat Brules

3 minutes ago, Cat Brules said:

I never have known who the moderator are/were ‘cept for Allie Mo.  Then, I think she quit.....(they wanted to lower her pay!).  

Cat Brules

I think there is a rotation here, sort of like getting called to serve on a grand jury.

40 minutes ago, John Kloehr said:

I think there is a rotation here, sort of like getting called to serve on a grand jury.

Except ya can’t say “Hell no” to jury duty. :D

Barbed wire? Telegraph wire? These.

20210505_183323.jpg

Howdy,

I just need to cut little wires around the place.

Not big stuff and not barbed wire.

Never realized the question was so big a deal.

Maybe I will just try the hardware store and hope for the best.

I had a little took kit with stuff from Sweden. They seem to have walked off.

Best

CR

There is "wire" and there is "cable" and there is "!wire!"  up to about any  18 - 22 gauge copper you can get any good electricians wire cutters. The you get into "cable"  cutters and heavy gauge copper or aluminum cutters, then you get into steel wire cutters (think chain link fence) it all depends.  After all all cars are not a Ferrari or a Cruz.

2 hours ago, Chili Ron said:

Never realized the question was so big a deal...

It wouldn't be a proper saloon response if we didn't over analyze and list every possibility.

I prefer a curved jaw like the Channellock 447.  The cutting edge is not inline with the hand so there is room for the knuckles on a flush cut.  They also allow leverage for pulling staples.

https://channellock.com/product/447/

For nipping little bits around the house, the 6" straight Klein is handy.

https://www.kleintools.com/catalog/standard-diagonal-cutting-pliers/diagonal-cutting-pliers-tapered-nose-6-inch

Make sure whatever you get at the local hardware store is made in the USA or Germany.

A bit pricey but Snap On builds some excellent flush cut dikes that work very well for electronics work and coaxial cable braid trimming. The smaller set makes a great finger nail and toenail clipper.

I always used a pair of side cutters and hung them off my back pocket at work as a welder. Cleaned the nozzles, snipped the wire and good to go. Specialty pliers for other jobs: fence pliers, wire stripping pliers, parallel jaw pliers, needle nose pliers, etc. Satisfying sound when you hear the snick, it means you made the right choice.

14 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

Barbed wire? Telegraph wire? These.

20210505_183323.jpg

That is a typical pair of fencing pliers. I was in hurry to buy another pair and found out you could not cut both strands of barb wire at the same time as the cutters would not open far enough. Chinese made, threw them away.

15 hours ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

I just need to cut little wires around the place.

Not big stuff and not barbed wire.

Never realized the question was so big a deal.

Maybe I will just try the hardware store and hope for the best.

I had a little took kit with stuff from Sweden. They seem to have walked off.

Best

CR

I think you'll be happy with a Leatherman wave or surge.  If you don't already carry a multitool, they come in very handy.  Surge is harder to carry, but you can tackle bigger problems, both have good ergos and replaceable wire cutters if you screw them up trying to cut something too hard.

1 hour ago, Grass Range said:

That is a typical pair of fencing pliers. I was in hurry to buy another pair and found out you could not cut both strands of barb wire at the same time as the cutters would not open far enough. Chinese made, threw them away.

Yup.

The fencing tool I have I've had for 30+ years. NOT Chinese made. :D It ain't pretty but it still works very well.

1 hour ago, Dantankerous said:

Yup.

The fencing tool I have I've had for 30+ years. NOT Chinese made. :D It ain't pretty but it still works very well.

I still have 2 of the old ones but the cutters are getting dull. And, I need a pair in each truck

Howdy.

That channellock 447 looks like a great place to start.

The other one looks fine to.

I have a multi tool but the wires are on a hard surface 

and it dont fit....447   

Thanks.

Best

CR

Archived