SASS Wire Forum

If'n ya want to look like a real cowboy...

Dantankerous

You can't look like a real cowboy if your jeans are too high above the instep of your boot. That "high-water" look.

8717d182-fa29-402f-9dda-aefdaa13dc1b_1.2

Nope. If your pants are too high above your boots, you don't look anything like a cowboy.

Theres two types of cowboys, like theres two types of country music...

You have your twangy pop country music, where they sing about how sexy their tractors are and how hot their girlfriends shorts look...

Then you have your downhome folk and bluegrass, where they tell a story with a message and accompany it with some banjo and fiddle.

Same with the look. You can dress like Garth Brooks, or you can dress like John Wayne. Neither are wrong, but they arent the same.

I laughed when he said “Humble, yeah, I’m humble”. :lol:

What’s funny is if you would go to Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana, Wyoming, where ever...you would see local trends that they would call “Cowboy”. Different takes on hats, snap shirts, buckles, etc.

For instance, years ago, mid-80’s, in New Mexico all the young cowboys wore black hats. You weren’t a “cowboy” unless you wore a black hat. In Arizona at that same time you weren’t “Cowboy” if you wore a black hat. Different trends in different locales. 

I stopped watching when he was explaining that that was a real cowboy knife. I decided that either those two were a couple of idiots, or they were making a joke video.

12 minutes ago, Alpo said:

stopped watching when he was explaining that that was a real cowboy knife. I decided that either those two were a couple of idiots, or and they were making a joke video to prove it.

Fixed it for you.

I am a “Cowboy Poser”. I don’t “cowboy” I only shoot Cowboy Action and dress the part. 

That is what I tell people that ask me if I am a cowboy, especially if I am headed to a match. 

I do wear the hats when it suits me. 

Craig Cameron IS a real horseman and a cowboy.  I don’t know ‘bout Dingleberry, there next to him.  The knife comment was half jest, I guess.  But, a little knife like theirs’ is all you need.

Cat Brules

There's cattlemen and there's cowboys....not the same.  Then there's rodeo cowboys and horse raisers...not the same.   But if one has cow crap on his rubber muck boots, a pair of worn out gloves, and an old greasy felt hat....just call him sir....he's likely some of all of the above.

Craig Cameron dresses like most stockmen dress today.  Stop getting you ideas about cowboys from Hollywood.

Cat Brules

A grandson who shall remain nameless was stalling, trying to delay getting into the bath tub.  Proof one does not need much to look “cowboy”.

CD785E2A-E9AA-4B16-925E-0900C7D6A5A6.thumb.jpeg.e70cbe423194f1df022344bbb046f1d1.jpeg

I've run into Dale Brisby a few times and I am still trying to figure out if he is for real or just playing a character. I'm not even sure that is his real hair. But he does seem to be a nice guy.

I think Dale is going for "Cowboy casual"; so it is a smooth transition from work to honkey-tonk.

Now we have a nice lady here where I work in the maintenance department; on Fridays she wears a colorful and tailored coverall (she does electronics, so no dirt, grease, etc) and at the end of tour pops into the ladies locker room, then back out with full face, high heels, and "stepping out" hair added to the coveralls.  Pretty much what Dale does I think.

Get a haircut!  Looks like a girlie-boy!

Bet he's a rodeo cowboy.

After a CAS match, some of us went to a favorite restaurant still in our CAS costumes. 

A little boy came up to me and asked, "Are you a real cowboy.

Not to disappoint the young fella, I replied, "I'm a real Cowboy Action Shooting Cowboy."

The boy grinned and said, "Cool."  

He turn and walked back to his family's table to tell his parents. 

I got a nod from his dad.

To my mind, here's what a real cowboy looks like.  God bless him.

4JBlvd.jpg

To extrapolate somewhat on Birdgun's story…

After a match a couple years ago about 10 or 12 of us Classics met for dinner out at a local restaurant still in costume. We were in cattle country and an old boy comes up to us and looks us over real good and says, "You know how I can tell you ain't real cowboys? None of your clothes is durty!"

We all got a good laugh.

16 hours ago, Birdgun Quail, SASS #63663 said:

Get a haircut!  Looks like a girlie-boy!

Bet he's a rodeo cowboy.

After a CAS match, some of us went to a favorite restaurant still in our CAS costumes. 

A little boy came up to me and asked, "Are you a real cowboy.

Not to disappoint the young fella, I replied, "I'm a real Cowboy Action Shooting Cowboy."

The boy grinned and said, "Cool."  

He turn and walked back to his family's table to tell his parents. 

I got a nod from his dad.

To my mind, here's what a real cowboy looks like.  God bless him.

4JBlvd.jpg

1 hour ago, Dantankerous said:

To extrapolate somewhat on Birdgun's story…

After a match a couple years ago about 10 or 12 of us Classics met for dinner out at a local restaurant still in costume. We were in cattle country and an old boy comes up to us and looks us over real good and says, "You know how I can tell you ain't real cowboys? None of your clothes is durty!"

We all got a good laugh.

When the SASS group go out to lunch/dinner around here (near Disney), they always ask "What movie are you all in"? Sometimes we'll lead them on and sometimes not but in the end we always tell them why we're dressed this way.

Dale is hilarious.

15 hours ago, watab kid said:

oh lord its hard to be humble ...........

So you agree, he has the Cowboy Jesus look.  Now where are those other 12 Cowboy disciples? 

Archived