SASS Wire Forum

Mounted shooting in SE Texas

Johnny Knight

Afternoon all,

Still learning my way around things as a new SASS member.  I'm interested in mounted shooting and trying to bring myself up to speed on the groups that run mounted shooting.  My understanding is there is a mounted shooting division of SASS, but it looks like there are only two clubs listed through the affiliated club page, one in Quebec and one in New Mexico.  As I understand it, there are two separate organizations, The Cowboy Mounted Shooting Association and the US Mounted Shooting that are currently running a series of events, including some in Texas.  It would seem that they are running the same basic format for their competitions, so I'm guessing there is some history behind the groups that has resulted in similar, but different clubs.  I'm going to check out the CMSA event this Saturday in Brenham, TX,  but I'm curious if anyone has any experience they can share on mounted shooting in the area?  Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

Regards,

Johnny Knight

There's a SASS member here in DFW area, Rawhide Red. He is a vendor and goes to a lot of the CMSA shoots. Try and get in touch with him. On the top bar of the webpage click on "Online Users". He is listed in the far right column right now 3 or 4 names down. Click on his name and send him a PM.

Well, I guess that means I'll try to touch base with the groups in the area and see what their schedules look like.  The folks in Brenham were quite friendly when I called them.  I was hoping to find a group that incorporated a bit more of the scenarios that seem to be worked into the SASS events, since it looks like the basic format for the CMSA events is barrel racing without any of the staging to create more interesting matches.  It will be a bit of a change from the jousting I'm used to doing with the ponies....

Johnny

16 hours ago, Johnny Knight said:

Well, I guess that means I'll try to touch base with the groups in the area and see what their schedules look like.  The folks in Brenham were quite friendly when I called them.  I was hoping to find a group that incorporated a bit more of the scenarios that seem to be worked into the SASS events, since it looks like the basic format for the CMSA events is barrel racing without any of the staging to create more interesting matches.  It will be a bit of a change from the jousting I'm used to doing with the ponies....

Johnny

From what I saw in EOT and WR shooters books, the design of the stages and CMSA designs were very similar.

Nothing says you can not shoot CMSA in full SASS atire.

We have had at least one entry the last couple of years for SASS Mounted, during WR, but shot as part of the CMSA match that is held.

I think barrel racing is just a single course design that everybody uses.  Mounted shooting has a number of set courses they use.  Mounted shooting is an expensive sport especially if travel is involved.  IMO the SASS events dwindled due to being amateur, while the CMSA folks are trying to win money.  CMSA is required to dress "cowboy" but it is mostly more rodeo-style.

15 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

I think barrel racing is just a single course design that everybody uses.  Mounted shooting has a number of set courses they use.  Mounted shooting is an expensive sport especially if travel is involved.  IMO the SASS events dwindled due to being amateur, while the CMSA folks are trying to win money.  CMSA is required to dress "cowboy" but it is mostly more rodeo-style.

Exactly.

Most SASS Mounted found with CMSA, they might at minimum make back gas money.

I saw that various patterns were used, but the gist is the barrel riding format.  I'm familiar with that having done Gymkana type obstacles courses with different patterns (usually involving chopping heads with a sword). 

Having hauled horses all over the place for the last 20 years, I'm painfully aware of the expenses involved.  Mostly for medieval reenactment, having taught the horses to joust and do mounted combat.  The vast majority of that was just for personal interest in the historical side of things and to teach classes.  Some were paid shows, but the pay usually just covered costs (if that).  My willingness to haul and subsidize, since I enjoyed the activity.  Had thought about civil war reenactment, but never tracked down a group in the area.  Figured I would get the horses gun trained just to expand their skill sets.  Riding a Tennessee Walker/Percheron cross for my main horse, and a full Percheron for my spare, I'm guessing that turn and burn doesn't play to their main strength, but I can still have fun with it :)

I'll see how this weekend goes, but it's looking like non-mounted shooting will be the main thing going forward.  I have another friend who also just joined, so when he gets back onshore I'll bring him out to a practice match as well.  Thanks for the background information, it confirms what I had been picking up in going through the old posts.  Looking forward to meeting folks in person.

Regards,

Johhny

42 minutes ago, Johnny Knight said:

I saw that various patterns were used, but the gist is the barrel riding format.  I'm familiar with that having done Gymkana type obstacles courses with different patterns (usually involving chopping heads with a sword). 

Having hauled horses all over the place for the last 20 years, I'm painfully aware of the expenses involved.  Mostly for medieval reenactment, having taught the horses to joust and do mounted combat.  The vast majority of that was just for personal interest in the historical side of things and to teach classes.  Some were paid shows, but the pay usually just covered costs (if that).  My willingness to haul and subsidize, since I enjoyed the activity.  Had thought about civil war reenactment, but never tracked down a group in the area.  Figured I would get the horses gun trained just to expand their skill sets.  Riding a Tennessee Walker/Percheron cross for my main horse, and a full Percheron for my spare, I'm guessing that turn and burn doesn't play to their main strength, but I can still have fun with it :)

I'll see how this weekend goes, but it's looking like non-mounted shooting will be the main thing going forward.  I have another friend who also just joined, so when he gets back onshore I'll bring him out to a practice match as well.  Thanks for the background information, it confirms what I had been picking up in going through the old posts.  Looking forward to meeting folks in person.

Regards,

Johhny

I will PM you the local horsenan we know with the Civil War connections in a bit. He will be a better resource for your questions.

Thanks Sue!  I was wondering if anyone has tried setting up a SASS type course where you have to ride from one location to another?  Perhaps work in some of the balloon popping along the way....just kicking around ideas.

Johnny

Archived