SASS Wire Forum

Did you ever have one of those days?

I was ruminating on my ammunition situation and coming to the conclusion that we'll run out of store bought shotgun ammo sometime early fall at the current rate of consumption.  That got me to thinking about how long the 1,000 209A primers I currently have will last when the store bought runs out.  After a lot of higher order math, adding, subtracting, multiplying and such, I came to the conclusion that 1,000 209A primers would give me about 40 boxes of shells, which will last about 4 months.  That made me happy thinking, hey, we can get to the end of 2021 in terms of shotgun primers.  I figured I better verify that count, so I looked in the appropriate cabinet and noticed a brown box behind the sleeve of 1,000.  What do you know, I bought 5,000 209As when I made that purchase, not 1,000!

Now if only I could discover something like that with Federal SPPs....but I guess it's one of those days....   

Did that myself recently.  Was sweating having less than a thousand small rifle primers until I found a sleeve of 5,000 under the reloading bench.  

I think y should crazy-glue it inside A small picture frame and hang it up in your reloading room.  “” Yes kids, this is what they look like!“

Cat Brules

29 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Was sweeping the floor in the reloading room and came upon this.  Yes folks that is an actual Federal small pistol primer!

DSC_0001.jpeg

And it’s HUGE! That one oughta last a while! :lol:

3 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I was ruminating on my ammunition situation and coming to the conclusion that we'll run out of store bought shotgun ammo sometime early fall at the current rate of consumption.  That got me to thinking about how long the 1,000 209A primers I currently have will last when the store bought runs out.  After a lot of higher order math, adding, subtracting, multiplying and such, I came to the conclusion that 1,000 209A primers would give me about 40 boxes of shells, which will last about 4 months.  That made me happy thinking, hey, we can get to the end of 2021 in terms of shotgun primers.  I figured I better verify that count, so I looked in the appropriate cabinet and noticed a brown box behind the sleeve of 1,000.  What do you know, I bought 5,000 209As when I made that purchase, not 1,000!

Now if only I could discover something like that with Federal SPPs....but I guess it's one of those days....   

Get down on your knees, and tell whatever higher entity you follow that you're grateful.

@Captain Bill Burt

Thank you for posting this thread. 
After looking at this I decided to go and review my reloading supplies. Unfortunately I didn’t find a magic box of primers, but I did find a set of 45-70 dies that I had forgotten that I had purchased 3 or 4 years ago and had forgotten about. 
This is great because I want to do some 45-70 reloads and I can’t find a set of Lee 4 die sets anywhere for under $140-$160. I wanted the factory crimp die along with the standard dies. 
Had I not done this search there is a very good chance I would have bit the bullet and bought those dies. 
Thanks very much. :D

I was worrying a bit about not having enough large and pistol primers until I read this thread. Had a better look and what do you know!

Found a carton of 5000 CCIs I bought when the LeBaron store closed up here.

Archived