SASS Wire Forum

John Deere and a gun store

DeaconKC

Weird tale here. Before I retired one of my favorite gun stores was Ideal Lawn and Tractor in Marion, Illinois. Good shop to deal with and nestled in the back of a John Deere Tractor store. I wound up going to work there part time after I retired and found out the owner of the place decided to open the gun store up without telling John Deere Corporate. Well at the time he opened it there was nothing that said he couldn't put a gun store in there, so JD couldn't do anything about it. But they went ahead and notified all their other dealers that from there on out, no gun sales. Always seemed really strange to me, as there isn't a tractor in this country without a rifle or shotgun in the cab. Anyhow, there it is, just a reflection of today's society.

On the Smith & Wesson board this one guy is frequently talking about his favorite gun store. It's a Napa Auto parts store. I believe it is also in Georgia.

It’s all about liability. Lawyers, Law-makers and Bureaucrats have destroyed the American Way. People can’t even throw a party without thinking about “What If’s”. What if this happens? What if that happens? It’s a cancer. 

24 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Odd thing that I recently saw in North GA, pharmacy and gun store. Who’d have thunk it?

One of the nicest gun shops I was ever in was in a Walgreens Drug in Midland , TX. About 45 years ago.

Rex :D

Years ago when I was in SoCal   One of my favorites was gun shop (Hiram's) in the rear and liquor store in the front.    Seemed strange even then      GW

When our family went to Watertown, NY waaayyy back in the last century, my Dad and I always spent some quality time at the gun shop in Fay's Drugs on Arsenal Street.

We were even able to buy things and bring them across the border in those days.

Sigh.

908ba47207d6c4c858cf89aba62fcba7.gif

There’s a gun store above a grocery store about 45 minutes from here. I haven’t been there in a long time I think it’s still there. 

A now defunct store in this area started out as a pet store, that specialized in tropical fish.  It got referred to as "Guns and Guppies".

Just over the state line in Tennessee, a small community has a gun shop located in the auto parts store.  

2 hours ago, Rex M Rugers #6621 said:

One of the nicest gun shops I was ever in was in a Walgreens Drug in Midland , TX. About 45 years ago.

Rex :D

First boxes of factory .38Smith and Wesson ammo I ever saw for sale were in the display case in the 'outdoors department' in back of a mom and pop drug store in Auburn, Alabama. 

They had a full service pharmacy, convenience store, fishing and hunting (guns) department AND were a contract location for the Postal Service. 

But they didn't sell gas- there was a gas station as an out parcel on the same property that probably started out being owned by the same folks.

The folks that ran it retired and sold it.  Today, the location is a CVS.

Howdy,

Friend of mine went to work in the gun shop of a Wards store.

He gave a customer a complicated answer about shotguns.

The customer told him he was way off base and walked out.

Next week the customer admitted friend was right on the money.

Actually apologized.

He just wasnt used to good info from Wards.

All gone now.

Best

CR

2 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Remember when Sears and JCPenney sold guns? I still have a cranky old .22 my dad bought for me from JCP back in the 1980s.

Woolworth's too!

8 hours ago, Tequila Shooter said:

Odd thing that I recently saw in North GA, pharmacy and gun store. Who’d have thunk it?

Skagg's Drug store in Seal Beach, California sold me a Winchester Golden Spike carbine in 1975.  I put it over my shoulder and walked all the way back on base where Iy went into the barracks armory for about ten months until my family joined me and I took it to our house off base.

1) The now-defunct Roos/Atkins store in San Francisco was an upscale men's clothing shop that sold guns and hunting good in the basement of their downtown (main) shop.  I took my first Hunter Safety Course in said basement.  :)

2) In 1972 I was with a buddy when he bought a new 7mm Magnum Sako Finnbear from the Long's Drugs in Daly City (just south of San Francisco).  He shelled out a whopping $150, and the clerk threw in a nice leather sling and a box of ammo.  ^_^

And....

3) About fifteen years ago I was pleasantly surprised when I walked into a place in Sonora, California, appropriately enough called "The Sportsman."  No kidding ~ a combination bar and gun store!  :lol:

2 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

Back in Columbus Ohio, there was an IGA grocery store that had a small gun department in it. It closed. Not the gun shop, the IGA. The whole place is now probably the largest gun store in the Columbus area. :D

Vance's?

We have a Cal-Ranch store up in Carson City. It’s like a TractorSupply on steroids. About the size of a Wal-Mart. First walk through took almost 3 hours :) Clothing and boots on one side. Tools, tack, chickens and RV stuff bout in the middle, camp gear and GUNS stuck in the left corner. Awesome :FlagAm:

6 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

That's the one.

I don't recall the IGA, but recalling the original store and its location, it made sense. They now have multiple stores.

16 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

It’s all about liability. Lawyers, Law-makers and Bureaucrats have destroyed the American Way. People can’t even throw a party without thinking about “What If’s”. What if this happens? What if that happens? It’s a cancer. 

That’s why most property owners I know won’t let people hunt their ground. Just not worth the liability. Most leases have liability wavers but my understanding is even that is not a sure thing 

15 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Remember when Sears and JCPenney sold guns? I still have a cranky old .22 my dad bought for me from JCP back in the 1980s.

Allot of the big department stores used to . I remember Montgomery Wards used to have their own line of guns like Sears did with the Ted Williams line 

Farm and home supply in Warsaw. They have one heck of a supply of guns and ammo.

https://stores.orschelnfarmhome.com/mo/warsaw/125/

56 minutes ago, Warden Callaway said:

We spent a night in Chadron, Nebraska and across the highway was an ACE Hardware store.  The front said guns so we went in and they had a full gun store in the back.

The Ace hardware store in the town I live in has a nice gun section in it . It’s also a great hardware store. They always seem to have those items you can’t find at the big box stores 

It used to be that service stations Sold guns and Coffee up here, some also had a restaurant...

Most also sold hunting and Fishing Lic.

Jabez Cowboy

Well known-secret reloading supply for many of us here in the Founders Ranch area, was East Mountain Cyclery in Abq.

The 'Bike Shop' sold cowboy bullets, powder, wads, shells, shot... plus numerous other needs.

It was the dad's 'hobby' in the back of the store.

Gone now.

Archived