SASS Wire Forum

Rating something

Alpo

When I was growing up I would hear about rating girls attractiveness on a scale of 1 to 10.

If you try to give feedback on something at Amazon they want you to rate it one star through five stars.

I have a simple rating system. It goes from 1 to 2.

If it's a two, I like it. It does what it's supposed to do. I'm glad I bought it.

If it's one, it does not do what it's supposed to do. I wish I had not wasted my money on it.

I see people talk about "it's a good WHATEVER for the money". That makes no sense to me. It's either good, in which case it doesn't really matter how much it cost, or it's not good, in which case it doesn't matter how cheap it was.

I've tried to rate things on a scale. One to five, one to ten. I'm not had any success. Either I like it, or I don't. I don't seem to have a "kinda like it" setting.

So how about y'all? Is it an either or? Or do you have a sliding scale that you rate stuff on?

A lot of products "work" but many work poorly.  So I have a third rating --  3.  Works, but could be better.

("Could" is probably not a good descriptor as virtually everything could be better.)

Yes. Anything less than 10 is a failure. It's a simple pass fail. If it didn't get a 10 - pass - then it doesn't matter whether it's a nine or a minus 14, it's a fail.

2 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Nobody gets a ten.

Raquel Welch did!:wub:

Life is more complicated than either good or bad.

I prefer a well-nuanced and sliding rating system

that goes to 42. :lol:

My rating scale is simple. Keep, unsure (stuff in draw) return. Not complicated, but it sure give you yard sale stuff lol

back in another life I was an elementary teacher, early 70s

I started out with possible grades of On Level and Below Level

then "they"  added Above Level

wasn't long before we were back to A.B,C,D,F and then number grades

So for surveys....they take them seriously and have promoter and detractor scores.  So if you give a 9 or 10 it’s a “promoter” score most often.  If you give a 7 or 8 it’s a neutral and anything less is what the call a “detractor”.  Many times they have year end pay or other bonuses structure tied to how well they do.  

long story not so short, 9s and 10s good, anything else is bad in auto or similar retail industry surveys.

I tend to go with the multiple options. Beyond simply working or not working, things like aesthetics, ergonomics, and fit and finish come into play with physical products. To me, that goes beyond a simple "would I buy it again." 

Call customer service, “would you answer a brief survey after your call is finished?  I reply “yes”. The first question is usually something like “did our representative satisfactorily resolve your problem?  Well, duhhh, I won’t know until I look at me account details.

I like choices, life is not black and white!

16 hours ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Raquel Welch did!:wub:

Don't forget Ann Margaret.

Personally, being a Radioman in the Navy, I use the 1-5 system.   Some of us (Radioman) also referred

to it as 'Nickels' if we rated something near perfect...... "She's worth a whole Nickel" meant she was 

worth taking home to meet Momma.

If she were well built, beautiful hair and super nice, but missing a front tooth, she would be a 4.

If she were missing a front tooth and crossed eyed, she'd be closer to the 3 range.

And so on.....

..........Widder

Most of the time I like it or I don't. But, sometimes like with Harbor Freight tools-- it's OK for the price as I will only use it once or twice and if it lasts that long it was "good for the price".

For me the 1-5 scale is necessary for products that I will rarely use, or need for a specific project but only uses once. I do agree that for regular use object, why not buy the best. But if I needed a tool to do something once and never use again, why waste the money? The scale is good then because you could say, yea, its a 3/5, it does the job but not very well.

Archived