SASS Wire Forum

Should I un-bisley my Ruger New Vaqueros?

Last Call Saul

I was lucky to aquire a pair of stainless Rugers New Vaqueros Bisley in 38slp/357.... as Bisley they have 5.5" barrels...  they felt nice in my hand but I took them to the range today and shot next to my Uberti El Patrons.... I am not so sure about Bisley grips any more - they felt awkward.... 

so, now I am facing a choice...

1. sell the pair and shop for a pair of regular vaqueros?  I got this pair for a steal and will have to probably add another $200-300 to get a pair of regular ones at current prices

2. buy 2 frame grips and rosewood grips from Midway for the total of $260 and convert my pair to regular grip 5.5" SAA revolvers with bisley hammers? but there must be a reason they were not made in 5.5, only in 4.75 - probably too front heavy for a regular grip? while I am at it, would install Wolff reduced power shooter pack of springs... 

3. do nothing and see if I grow into them bisleys?...

please help me to argue each case and decide?  if anyone did this conversion, how does a 5.5 new vaquero feels with standard grip?  my hands are average size at the most and bisley grip feels "too much"

I'd shoot say 200 rounds with them , both one and two handed -  If after that trial period they still don't feel good, I'd sell them.  I suspect the price you receive will be about the same as the price you will spend on two plow handle rugers.

Yup. Keep working with the Bisleys. If'n ya don't take to 'em in about 200 more rounds... give 'em more of a chance first.

Only you can make the decision.  My wife likes the Bisley grips.  I can't come to terms with them.  Same way I can't shoot a Glock, but a 1911 fits my hands like a glove.  Ergonomics is critical.  If the Bisley grip frame isn't right for you, it's not right.  Nothing will change that.  If that's the case, either replace the grip frames, easily done, or trade 'em off and get Vaqueros (can you even find them right now?).

Ultimately, nothing any of us say will matter. This is up to how the guns fit your hands.

Doc

Again, go a couple hundred rounds. Then if you don't like em, post them here for trade. Someone will want them and the only expense then is shipping.

OPINION 

If you don’t like them NOW, you won’t like them later.

i would “get out from under” them now.  

I wouldn’t invest a dime in them to “fix them up”.
If you can recover your investment, I’d do it.  

They will always feel awkward to you.

They weren’t originally designed for the kind of target shooting involved with CAS.

Sorry for the harsh opinion, but It is my opinion and advice......they weren’t designed for our type of shooting.

Cat Brules

The difference in balance between 4.6" and 5.5" is pretty negligible. I have a pair of 5.5" Rugers in 38/357 with plow handle grips that I love.  Before that I have a pair in 4.6" that I also liked.

I tried Bisleys and as other have stated they just didn't fit my hands. I have discovered of the years that I shoot better with a thin plow handle grip.  I have Gunfighter grips on the Rugers and prefer Navy grips on my Colt clones.

If you don't grow fond of them offer to swap the hind end (grips, grip frames. hammers) for same from plow handle gun. That way the shipping expense is negligible.

I never like the pair I bought.A world champion gunfighter from La. loves them.

I agree with Goody on this one.  Buy the complete grip frames from Midway.  Also buy the Super Blackhawk hammers that Midway now has in stock (click on the link below).  Buy spring kits while you're at it; simply installing spring kits will make your Rugers feel like they've been tuned by a gunsmith.  Try the Rugers for awhile in the Bisley configuration.  If, you decided they're not for your, change out the grip frames and hammers and try that.  You will have no trouble selling the removed parts on this forum.  

Ruger Hammer Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter SS (midwayusa.com)

My first Vaqueros were Bisleys and I still own them.  I liked being able to get all my fingers on the grip.  I don't compete with them anymore because they didn't feel right when I switched to shooting "Gunfighter".  Today, I shoot Piettas with longer 1860 grips and lowered hammers.  I own several pairs of regular Ruger Vaqueros that I have installed the longer Super Blackhawk Hunter  plow handled grip frames on.  With the longer grip frames, they feel like my Piettas.

Many duelist style shooters only feel comfortable with Bisleys.  But, it still depends on your hand size and strength.  You do not have enough time in the game to be able to make a decision based on experience.  So, you can be easily swayed by others' opinions and appearance.

If you are a two handed shooter, there's more hammer to thumb with a standard hogleg grip.  Few 2-handers use Bisleys.  If you are shooting 2-handed, shoot those Patrons!  And sell the Bises.

This is a lousy time to try swapping either parts or guns.  You will take a bigger bath than normal due to shortages and high prices.   It's also ALWAYS  a poor choice to "buy guns because it's a great deal" when you have not settled into knowing your own capabilities and abilities and preferences.   Or to buy without having have shot the guns (or similar models) before.

good luck, GJ

thanks of replies.

I was leaning to swapping the grip frames, they are available on midway now, but looks like it will be a lot of work - they come oversized and unfinished... also will need to swap the triggers as bisley triggers are differently shaped and don't fit in the plow grip frame... sounds too much work if I could just sell them or swap them...

I shot first one - about 50-60 rounds when I got it and liked it.... then got the second one and went to the range again and at this time I shot another 100 from 2 of them and about 50 from my el patrons and preferred the Ubertis even one handed... partially because the lighter hammer and seemingly better balance

I bought them to be my backup for el patrons and if I develop into a gunfighter or duelist - thought they would be the ticket...

oh well.  I will swap the springs and see how they feel again and then decide to sell or to keep

I shoot predominately two handed. I shoot Bisleys. The regular Ruger grips are just too small for my extra large size hands. I now have 7 Bisley Vaqueros...

They just feel better and give a better grip for ME...they may not be for everyone.

Bisleys are not as good for two handed shooters, but a nice choice for one handed or gunfighter shooters. It's not hard to swap the parts and there are videos that show how to do it. One thing not mentioned are thinner grips. Since you like the El Patrons, you don't really "need" another pair of pistols, the money choice would be keep or sell.

Texas grips makes extended grips for our saa's. Shooting duelist and also needed longer grips for my hands. Had tried bisleys and not bad but like the feel of my usfa's with the extended grips better.

From Cliff Hanger #3720LR:

There is a way to check which might be better for you.

1. Find a 1/2" dowel  or some other item, I used a long wooden cooking spoon.
2. Hold it in your strong hand with half the item above and half the item below your fingers.
3. Take your standard shooting stance.
4. Now close your eyes and raise your gun hand up as if you were aiming at a target.
5. Without moving your hands, open your eyes and look to see if the item is vertical or leaning forward at the top.
6. The more vertical the item is, the more a Bisley will point naturally.
7. the more the item leans forward, the more naturally the P frame grip will point.
8. Standing next to a mirror so you can see your hand will help to see what angle your hand naturally has.

Depending on the angle of your hand has naturally will tell you which grip will work best.

If you have to move your wrist forward or back to get a straight sight alignment, you should try the other grip.

All my Vaqueros and Single Six are Bisley type.
My wife's are plow handle.

• 1 month later...

I have a pair of plow handles hammers triggers ant all in stainless i will trade you if you want

This got me to thinking and I'm working backward here...

I love the Ruger Bisley grip and in CAS I shoot them almost exclusively.  I shoot duelist. But occasionally I break out my non Bisley Army gripped open tops for something different. I shoot them duelist and don't really notice a vast "feel" difference between them and my Ruger Bisleys after the small adjustment from one style grip to the other. So, I got out my standard plow handled Rugers and played with them. Again, duelist. And again only a very small relearning curve back to the plow handle from a Bisley. Quite workable and comfortable with no real discernable degredation in gun handling. Hmmm.

I shoot Vaqueros, not the smaller new model, for what it's worth. 

Perhap my hands are large enough to work with all three comfortably? Perhaps hand size is the overall main factor in choosing a grip shape? My hands are not gorilla huge but usually an XL glove fits perfectly. My sampling size of one tells me more data is needed. So I'm going to go buy more single actions and test for results. :D

I called Ruger and asked "how much" to convert plow handles to Bisley.
Quote was $450, each.
I was told there is a lot of hand fitting.

I have been shooting duelist style for over 15 years. My small hands do not like the bisely grips at all. I know lots of duelist who only shoot them but they do not work for me. Lower hammers spurs are a big plus for me but I only have them on one set of revolvers currently.

Archived