SASS Wire Forum

Abandoned Goex Powder Plant ...

John Boy

I visited the original DuPont powder plant in the early 90's while taking class at National Defense U. We were working on a paper about their Cray Computer. The original buildings were on a river and three sides were brick, the fourth side was originally made of long-gone wood. This was by design, in case of an explosion the brick walls would remain intact, while the wooden walls would end up in the river.

My father worked at the US Central Heating Plant in DC. It was a seven-story building with five-story boilers. All of the walls had windows stacked vertically the entire height of the building. They served the same purpose as Dupont's wooden walls. In the case of a boiler rupture, the windows served as a safety valve to keep the building from collapsing. Would not want to be anywhere near there if that ever happened.

Some additional history about DuPont and Moosic Plant... DuPont sold to Gerhart Owen in 1971 because they were cited under the Taft Hartley Act for restraint of trade.  That didn’t stop them in the BP business though. They opened a a sales office in Lake Placid and were selling imported powder in the US labeled Meteor made by Noble Industries in Ardeer, Scotland through their CIL Canadian subsidiary.  This Meteor powder was the same production mix or left over powder when Curtis’s & Harvey sold out to Noble in 1967.  Might add C&H powder was rated the best BP powder made and I have a good quantity of Meteor (C&H) powder

As for Goex at the plant from 1971 to 1997 when they closed the plant and moved to Minden, LA,... they had extensive union labor issues, their safety standards were poor and cited several times by OSHA and the water source for mixing the powder became contaminated resulting with poor quality powder ... 

Archived