SASS Wire Forum

Kansas: Legislature Overrides Governor Kelly's Veto of Pro-Gun Omnibus Legislation

Charlie T Waite

Today, the Kansas Senate and House successfully overrode Governor Laura Kelly’s veto of pro-gun omnibus legislation, House Bill 2058.  The measure now becomes law without the Governor’s signature and will go into effect on July 1st.

Proposed by Kansas Attorney General Derek Schmidt, House Bill 2058 does the following:

• Recognizes all out-of-state concealed carry permits, and allows those who have been licensed to carry a firearm for self-defense, to do so lawfully in Kansas.  This legislation recognizes that visitors to Kansas should not be left defenseless simply by crossing a state line.  
  • Allows individuals who are 18 to 20 years of age to apply for a Kansas concealed carry permit.
  • Authorizes the Attorney General to issue an alternative license to carry a concealed handgun, to qualified applicants, during a declared state of disaster emergency.
  • Creates a Restoration of Rights process for individuals to reestablish the Second Amendment right to possess a firearm, upon expungement of certain convictions.

Thank you to bill sponsors and those legislators that supported the legislation as it advanced through the Legislature.  Also, thank you to NRA Members and Second Amendment supporters for continuing to contact their lawmakers in support of this pro-gun measure.

Not sure if I agree with this one...

First off, YES I do agree. If an 18 year old can fight and die for the country then it only makes some sense they should be able to carry a gun for personal protection.  Oversight and training being quite a bit different though between a trained soldier and your average 18 year old kid.

On the other hand, NO. I'd argue most 18 years old are too immature these days to carry a weapon for personal protection. I work with 35 year olds who are too damn immature for that matter.  Carrying a gun is a huge responsibility.

YES, the 2A does not give an age. Rights are natural, not government given.

YES, we need to do more to pissoff the gun haters in this country. :D

Probably won't matter anyway as most 18 year olds are too busy on their phones facebooking to even know the law is changing.

Archived