SASS Wire Forum

"New Original Henry" Reviews?

Blu Nos Dav

Fantastic firearm... Metal to wood finish is great.  Some of the best wood I have ever seen on an 1860! 

I use a Uberti Version for SASS alot of the time for Classic Cowboy.  I like it... You just need to figure out what works best for you to deal with the follower on the mag tube.

I've handled several of the Henry 1860s. All have been darn near flawless in terms if fit and finish. Very nice rifles.

I have one and use it from time to time. The bluing is flawless but the barrel edges are a little soft from the high-polish buffing. The wood has a beautiful burl in it. It functions flawlessly. There are plans on this forum somewhere to make a dowel spacer that prevents you from doing the Henry Hop. It is the only Henry offering that I like. The front sight is nickel and a little hard to see if I'm shooting in the shade. I have put black magic marker on it but it come right off. I don't think they can be short-stroked but when I'm using it, it's for the experience, not for speed and there is no way I'm going to slam it down on the station table to speed up my transitions. It is the one gun that my daughter asks me to show her boy friend(s). Admittedly, I use it when I'm also using my Opentop Colt copies because Classic Cowboy doesn't seem to get anymore classic then that!

:FlagAm: I am kinda partial to this one.  As everyone else has stated, fit and finish are impeccable.  The edges on the barrel flats are not as crisp as an Uberti.  Some internals such as the toggles are EDM.  Springfield as well as other manufacturers use EDM.

Just a damn nice firearm.

Chas B

Pics of a Stoeger import next to the Henry USA

IMG_20210503_102449117.jpg

IMG_20210503_102440995.jpg

IMG_20210503_102413095.jpg

IMG_20210503_102402150.jpg

IMG_20210503_103846218.jpg

IMG_20210503_103811194.jpg

IMG_20210503_103733477.jpg

IMG_20210503_103725249.jpg

Thanx, Pards!

Henry also makes a "Rare Carbine" version that has a 20.5" barrel and holds 10 rounds in the magazine tube.

Does anyone know if any Henry carbines were actually manufactured back in the 1860's?

Would a "New Original Henry Rare Carbine" be SASS legal?  Specifically in Frontiersman category?

(I understand that there would not be any room for a spacer stick in a carbine length tube.)

Henry also makes a carbine version, of the 1860. I looked it up, and yep, turns out there also was a carbine version, back in the day. I'd like to save up for the carbine one. I do really like my Cimarron/Uberti Henry. But, as was stated above, I always prefer to buy anything made in the United States, if I can.

The Henry that is made here, is quality, and workmanship, second to none, but admittedly, as we all know, they are more expensive.

However....there is an old saying, that I agree with:..."quality does not cost...it pays". 

But, we should also be grateful to our Italian Pards, for providing our toys, when no one else was making them. Who knows...Winchester may could have still been making rifles here, if they had decided to re-issue the model 1873, as C.A.S. was getting off the ground. The Italians stepped up to the plate, and I for one, am grateful.

50 minutes ago, Blu Nos Dav said:

Would a "New Original Henry Rare Carbine" be SASS legal?  Specifically in Frontiersman category?

Yes.

Any SASS legal pistol caliber rifle is acceptable.

SHB p.10

I would be sure to look at the actual one I was buying.  I have seen a couple of these that were really over polished, with rounded corners, dished holes, etc.  I am sure this is not all of them, but for the money, I would want to know what I am buying.  Just my 2 cents.  

Archived