SASS Wire Forum

Should I bid on it? Update

Local online auction has a Winchester 92 in 25-20.  I have 2 92s already.  One is a rifle and the other a saddle ring carbine.  So far, the one on the auction is cheap but there are 3 days to go.  I'm holding back as I didn't shoot the two I already have.  My daughter did but I got her a Marlin in 32 mag to match her pistols and the 92 went to the back of the safe.  What do I need another one for?  Silly question, I know.  Why do I need any more of any of them?  Loading for 25-20 is a pain with the extra steps in loading a bottle nosed cartridge vs. a straight wall cartridge.  Annealing, trimming, etc.  That and 25-20 is getting to be scarce in some areas.  If it goes really cheap, I just might have to bid on it.  Any feedback from the Saloon?

Well, I said I would update everyone on this unit.  I didn't have to bid on it as it went for a fairly respectable  5 bills.  Should it have gone higher?  Maybe.  Could it have gone higher?  Maybe.  But this was not a firearm that was in pristine shape.  I would classify it as as being good.  The finish was gone on the wood and the  metal was all brown.  Like I said, lots of patina.  This is a shooter.  The action worked as it should so for a firearm that had a serial number in the range of 140xxx, it is probably over 100 years old.  For a gun that old, that is not too bad.

Now the guns I took, I am bowled over at how high they went.  All the other guns on the auction went just crazy high.  Don't get me started in the ammo they had or reloading tools/components.  These are strange times we live in indeed.  Thanks for listening.

It is an 'investment", not a "purchase"; plus you are ensuring it's proper preservation for future generations!

17 minutes ago, Finagler 6853 Life said:

Local online auction has a Winchester 92 in 25-20.  I have 2 92s already.  One is a rifle and the other a saddle ring carbine.  So far, the one on the auction is cheap but there are 3 days to go.  I'm holding back as I didn't shoot the two I already have.  My daughter did but I got her a Marlin in 32 mag to match her pistols and the 92 went to the back of the safe.  What do I need another one for?  Silly question, I know.  Why do I need any more of any of them?  Loading for 25-20 is a pain with the extra steps in loading a bottle nosed cartridge vs. a straight wall cartridge.  Annealing, trimming, etc.  That and 25-20 is getting to be scarce in some areas.  If it goes really cheap, I just might have to bid on it.  Any feedback from the Saloon?

That you have to ask means you already know that you will bid and buy it if the price isn't outrageous.

I've chosen not to bid on some guns that I like, but recognize that will sit in the safe and rarely or never get shot simply because I don't have a "purpose" for it and I have more responsible uses for the money.

6 minutes ago, Chantry said:

I've chosen not to bid on some guns that I like, but recognize that will sit in the safe and rarely or never get shot simply because I don't have a "purpose" for it and I have more responsible uses for the money.

Well, that's what I thought as well.  Just hate to pass it up if it is really cheap.  Going to the open house here in a bit to look it over.  Hate to pass up a bargain.

No.....don’t bid on it!!

INSTEAD

Since you were going to buy this one that you already have two of.....

Think of a gun you’d really like to have, and which you do not have right now, seek it out and buy that one.   The quest is half the fun!!

Cat. Brules

I stopped buying guns that I thought I might like to have. I sold a bunch that lost their allure to buy others that I really wanted. 
Personally, I wouldn’t buy it just to have it. Sounds like you want it just because it’s there. 

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Sounds like you want it just because it’s there. 

Well mostly.  I hate passing up a bargain.  Went and looked at it.  It is an old girl.  Well used, tons of patina.  Barrel in decent shape for its age.  I'll see what it goes for and if I get it, I'll report back.  

Another one I was interested in is a Savage 99 in .308.  Looked at that.  Had a scope mounted to it.  That didn't bother me as much as the fact that they took apart the Lyman tang mounted peep sight apart to fit the scope on.  Why not just take the whole sight off?  Now it has half the sight still on the gun.  Then they removed the rear buckhorn sight to mount the scope.  This gun was well worn and in a couple spots it looks like someone took steel wool to it.  I doubt I'll even consider this one as it is already up to 6 bills.

I don't have enough money to have all the guns that I would like to have! I limit myself to guns I will shoot and that's still quite a few!

What would ole sniffin' joe, and beto, and the attorney general of new york, want you to do? 

Then do the opposite, and bid on it. You'll get a great heirloom, to pass down, and as an added bonus, you'll tick-off the liberal-leftists. A win, win, win, for you, and us.  

Then, join a firearm organization, just to seal the deal.

I can't believe no one has asked these extremely important questions yet.

What calibers are the two you already have? And are the two you already have Winchesters or copies?

Once you have answered these extremely important questions, go bid on the damn thing no matter what the answers are.

15 minutes ago, Alpo said:

I can't believe no one has asked these extremely important questions yet.

What calibers are the two you already have? And are the two you already have Winchesters or copies?

Once you have answered these extremely important questions, go bid on the damn thing no matter what the answers are.

Good questions. I'll just stick to cowboy guns here as I would be typing a lot if I did all the calibers I have of "modern" firearms.  45 Colt, 44 mag, 38 special, 357 mag, 32 H&R mag, main match guns,  along with some pocket pistols of various other calibers and big bore long range rifles.  I load for me, Brave Star (son) and Prairie Wildcat (daughter).  I bought my brothers rigs when he got out of cowboy shooting and I previously bought equipment hoping my other son or wife would shoot.  Turns out it was/is just the 3 of us.  The two 92s I already have are Winchester originals.

I may bid on it.  At least watch it close.

3 hours ago, Finagler 6853 Life said:

Well mostly.  I hate passing up a bargain.  Went and looked at it.  It is an old girl.  Well used, tons of patina.  Barrel in decent shape for its age.  I'll see what it goes for and if I get it, I'll report back.  

Another one I was interested in is a Savage 99 in .308.  Looked at that.  Had a scope mounted to it.  That didn't bother me as much as the fact that they took apart the Lyman tang mounted peep sight apart to fit the scope on.  Why not just take the whole sight off?  Now it has half the sight still on the gun.  Then they removed the rear buckhorn sight to mount the scope.  This gun was well worn and in a couple spots it looks like someone took steel wool to it.  I doubt I'll even consider this one as it is already up to 6 bills.

A fellow can go broke chasing bargains. 

Fred, are you really asking this crew if you should bid on an oddball caliber lever action that's way under valued?:blink:

That's like asking a bunch of drunks if you should pick up quality liquor that's been mispriced and is marked too cheap.

You know what it's worth, right?  If you can get a deal, grab it and, if you don't feel the need to load and shoot it yourself, pass it along- at a more reasonable price and pocket the difference.  Pick a price that's your deadline and don't go past it.

I’m trying not to buy the Pedersoli lightning over in the classified section, beautiful rifle and a carbine on top of that. I really NEED that rifle...............and to the OP just bid on that fine ol rifle, you know you want to!

9 hours ago, Finagler 6853 Life said:

With everything you have said here, why would you bid?  No.

I’m hoping prices will stabilize at a reasonable level before I die. :(

Archived