SASS Wire Forum

Guns you'll never take apart again

Chantry

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whomever designed the loading gate/cylinder lock mechanism in Ruger’s Blackhawks and Vaqueros deserves a special level of Hell, the one reserved for child molesters and people who talk in a theater.

After I retired I was hired at a gun store because I could put together a disassembled Ruger 22 pistol.

4 hours ago, Willy B.SASS#26902 said:

I've had two disassembled guns given to me, one was a Remington model 8 which has a million small pieces, The other was the previously mentioned Colt 1903 which was by far the worst.  I don't remember the brand but I put a 22 auto together for a guy I worked with the only way to get the recoil springs back in was to compress them in aquarium tubing.

I have both of those guns and never had an issue disassembling or assembling either one.

Warning:  Never ever try to remove the trigger group on a Handi Rifle.

First of all the flying parts can be dangerous.  If you must try, do it inside a cardboard box.

As far as modern guns go, avoid disassembling the slide on a Kahr. Very difficult to do without some very small, spring-loaded parts flying out and getting lost. I eventually figured out a few tricks and even fabricated a couple of special tools to make the job easier, but unless you like having to order new parts all the time don't do it.

In the same vein as my fiasco from last weekend, I once lost the striker spring to my Kahr in the garage. It flew out during disassembly, and it shot out into the Great Void. I thought I heard approximately where it landed, and I got out my ladder and flashlight and tried to do a top-down search of the garage. That time I was lucky, as I found it sitting on the roof of my SUV.

I once disassembled the bolt of my Garand and reassembled it using only two hands and simple tools. That was when I learned about “getting up and walking away for a while” when frustration sets in. Often, that’s all that’s needed...and some cussing. Cussing is sometimes needed as well. 

12 hours ago, Crooked River Pete, SASS 43485 said:

Remington nylon 66

I had a gunsmith friend that use to pay me to put these back together.

They usually were handed to me as a box of parts. Surprisingly, I had to order very few parts to finish the job.

I had the sequence down to about 10 minutes.

It has been 45+ years now since I have had to do one!

6 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I once disassembled the bolt of my Garand and reassembled it using only two hands and simple tools. That was when I learned about “getting up and walking away for a while” when frustration sets in. Often, that’s all that’s needed...and some cussing. Cussing is sometimes needed as well. 

I took my M1A bolt apart to put in a USGI bolt kit and somehow I managed it in a try or two.  I found a gentlemen on Youtube called Tonyben3 and he specializes in M1/M1A rifles. Highly recommended 

I will also select the Nylon 66 (and it's variations). I had to sit with a Youtube tutorial right in front of me to do mine.

I have completely disassembled and reassembled Broomhandles, Lugers, Garands, M1 Carbines, various Model 3 S&W's, and Winchester 1873's with less difficulty.

One that I have never disassembled is my Stevens "Visible Loader". This is because of it's reputation as being very difficult to reassemble thus its' nickname - "Miserable Loader". 

For me, it would be a Corvair.
After it is up and running, there are still parts left over that did not get reinstalled.
It's not a gun, but that would be my nomination.

I was thinking about this yesterday afternoon. I was in my LGS and a guy came in with a “box gun”. He had disassembled some autoloading shotgun and couldn’t put it back together. I didn’t get the whole gist of it but the guys at the gun store told him they had no clue how to reassemble it. They do have Gunsmithing services for tactical guns, but not for a lot of other guns. At least they’re honest about it. 
I told the one clerk to recommend a good local gunsmith. 

Afterwards I got to thinking and I have had problems getting a few guns together in my time but I have never had to take a “box gun” to a gunsmith for reassembly...so far. ;)

On 5/3/2021 at 4:12 PM, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

Ruger Mark I .22 semi-automatic.  Never again, unless I have the instructions right there before me, and a bottle of Anejo tequila, salt, and lime, to dull the pain of it.

that gun has given me a few grays hairs trying to get it assembled.  

18 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

The M10 tool is a wonderful invention. :D

2 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

The M10 tool is a wonderful invention. :D

Yes, it is. :)

I have to buy a new one. The one I had got misplaced somehow. 

20 hours ago, Noz said:

Warning:  Never ever try to remove the trigger group on a Handi Rifle.

First of all the flying parts can be dangerous.  If you must try, do it inside a cardboard box.

The proper name is ballistic object containment device.

I spend a lot of years working full time, part time, and some time for Ray Taylor, owner of the Flintlock in Hobby City, Anaheim, California.

He told me one time that the first five years he was in business they lived off of "guns in a sack".

26 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

I spend a lot of years working full time, part time, and some time for Ray Taylor, owner of the Flintlock in Hobby City, Anaheim, California.

He told me one time that the first five years he was in business they lived off of "guns in a sack".

Speaking guns in a sack. A friend of mine brought me a Savage 99 in .308 in a sack. He disassembled it and could not get it back together. I really wanted that gun in the worst way after he had shown it to me before. 
I asked him why he disassembled it. He said it felt all gummed up and stiff. 
It was. It was full of that white lithium crap that do many people use for grease but never clean and replace. 
I proudly cleaned it all up and reassembled it for him. He was so happy he decided that he wanted to keep it. Sonofa......:angry:

Shafted myself out of a really neat rifle. 

13 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

My first Harley was a bike in a sack.
Actually a bunch of boxes from a barn in Meridian, ID.
Same as the guns, there were missing parts.

On 5/3/2021 at 3:41 PM, Blackwater 53393 said:

I took down an Iver Johnson hammerless double once to replace the mainsprings!  I eventually made a tool out of a giant “C” clamp in order to reinstall the springs.

NEVER AGAIN!!

Is the Iver Johnson coach gun good? Haven't seen many reviews and I see it on GunBroker once in a while.

LOL.

Charter Arms. First one I took apart like, almost forty years ago I hadda send back to the factory to get back together.

S&W M&P. putting the trigger guts back is a PITA. Slave pins is yer fren LOL.

HK USP. Old tech nowadays but in the 90's (sounds weird sayin' it like that, haha, like "back in the fifties...") I went to the HK armorers course. When we got to the frame, I misunderstood the instructions and took it all apart. Instructor comes by. "You know, we don't take those parts out outside the factory. You'll find out why when you try to get it back together." LOL. I did get it back together right.

The stupidest? MP5. Four way trigger. Safe, semi, three round, full. Those we hadda take all the way apart and put back. "Who designed this thing?"

Instructor sez "Originally, H&K started out making cuckoo clocks." Dunno if that was true but looking at the innards, made sense LOL.

9 hours ago, JebidiahBeetus said:

Is the Iver Johnson coach gun good? Haven't seen many reviews and I see it on GunBroker once in a while.

I shot it for a while when I first began CAS. It was adequate for what I was capable of at the time. Mine was old and very used and it got retired before I had used it a lot.  

If you’re going to be trying to shoot competitively, I wouldn’t recommend this gun.  I can’t speak for the rest of the IJ doubles out there, but I think there are much better offerings available.

Mine was free!!  It got me started without spending much money and I quickly learned what a difference good equipment can make.

Free is free! If you are going to have to spend money, I’d say spend it on a known quantity. Find something that you know will last and that has parts available and a reputation for dependability!

WP_20180102_16_37_07_Rich.thumb.jpg.3cfff201f1f0515b1fc045fc948b6595.jpg

I used to enjoy an afternoon disassembling and reassembling my Ruger Security Six.  I looked up how to disassemble my Winchester 94 when I had it and decided I no longer needed a winchester 94.  I'm still a little trepidatious about my Rossi 92, Maybe I'll shoot it little enough that by the time it needs to be completely taken down, I can afford to trade for a 66 :D

1 hour ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Mine was free!!  It got me started without spending much money and I quickly learned what a difference good equipment can make.

Free is free! If you are going to have to spend money, I’d say spend it on a known quantity. Find something that you know will last and that has parts available and a reputation for dependability!

How in the world did you manage to get one free? Can't beat that price for sure. Do you still have it?

3 minutes ago, JebidiahBeetus said:

How in the world did you manage to get one free? Can't beat that price for sure. Do you still have it?

Still have it. It's in the back of my safe and gets pulled out and a round or two through it once in a while.  It was given to me by a friend who couldn't get it to fire reliably.  Broken main spring.

8 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Still have it. It's in the back of my safe and gets pulled out and a round or two through it once in a while.  It was given to me by a friend who couldn't get it to fire reliably.  Broken main spring.

Dang, color me envious. I need a friend like that.

Archived