SASS Wire Forum

Time

Is it accelerating as I get older??

It has been 10 years since SEAL Team 6 took Bin Laden out! 10 YEARS!!

Where did that decade go??

I don't know about seal team whatever and bin laden, but when I started that thread about "don't loan ammo", that happened in 2005.

2005? That's 16 years ago!! How in the hell did that happen?!?

My mom’s theory goes like this...

When you’re ten years old, one year takes up 10% of your life. To that ten year old kid, 365 days is a big chunk of time and seems huge. 

When you hit fifty, that same 365 days is now only 2% of your life. That’s what makes it feel like time is flying by faster. 

Years ago I discussed time perception with a real Physicist. He had a PhD in Physics. He said something that I have always remembered. He said (paraphrasing here, don’t remember exact words)

“One’s perception of time is reference based. If one has only been alive a few years they only have a limited amount of time and experience to reference so each day or time period has a larger impact on their perception of time. Someone that is much older has much more time history to reference therefore, each day or time period has a lesser impact on their perception of time. That is why time seems to fly as one gets older.”

10 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Years ago I discussed time perception with a real Physicist. He had a PhD in Physics. He said something that I have always remembered. He said (paraphrasing here, don’t remember exact words)

“One’s perception of time is reference based. If one has only been alive a few years they only have a limited amount of time and experience to reference so each day or time period has a larger impact on their perception of time. Someone that is much older has much more time history to reference therefore, each day or time period has a lesser impact on their perception of time. That is why time seems to fly as one gets older.”

So my mom was right, at least in the eyes of the physicist!

3 minutes ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

So my mom was right, at least in the eyes of the physicist!

Yep! :D

It’s funny. When mine posted I saw yours and thought “His Mom’s version is much simpler...and more meaningful.”

The wisdom of mothers is a wonderful thing. :)

Every time something breaks around here my wife says, “But we just bought that a little while ago”.

I dig out the receipt and tell her, “It was 7 years ago, Sweetie” :lol:

52 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

Found on the internet:

OK, 5hat explains it. Thanks. :P

You want time to slow down? Easy. Just go back to work.  :D Get an asshat for a boss and each day will be an eternity. 

;)

Time seems to change in Widders head at certain moments. For instance, the other day he ran a stage that to him was 11.30 seconds. However when the timer stopped, it showed 15.70. He swore up and down that timer had malfunctioned and wanted them to recalibrate it. 

Another example was when he was practicing up for speed shotgun for the TN State match. He ran a "pretty good" run on 6 kds. After the last shot he said "that had to be 2 seconds". I said, "nope that was 3.82". He swore I tapped the timer after his run.

Some people....

46 minutes ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

It only seems to go by faster unless you're waiting for that gun you ordered to get here, or if you're having to spend time doing something you really hate, or if you're sitting a dentist's chair.

So the solution is to always have a gun on order -- got it!

Guy is getting the bad news from his Doctor, only got 2 years to live. " O my God Doc, what can I do"? Doc says, " Marry a women you can't stand, get a pair of shoes one size too small and buy a Dodge truck". Man is a little confused by this advice and asks how this can make him live longer. Doc says it won't, but it will be the longest 2 years of your life.

3 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Every time something breaks around here my wife says, “But we just bought that a little while ago”.

I dig out the receipt and tell her, “It was 7 years ago, Sweetie” :lol:

How soon before she trades you in....

Texas Lizard

4 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Is it accelerating as I get older??

It has been 10 years since SEAL Team 6 took Bin Laden out! 10 YEARS!!

Where did that decade go??

It's the thinner Colorado air, it causes less resistance to the hands on a watch so the watch tells time faster.   :P

4 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

My mom’s theory goes like this...

When you’re ten years old, one year takes up 10% of your life. To that ten year old kid, 365 days is a big chunk of time and seems huge. 

When you hit fifty, that same 365 days is now only 2% of your life. That’s what makes it feel like time is flying by faster. 

4 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I always say almost exactly what Charlie Harley's mom says, except I generally use 1 year old and 20 years old.  I've been telling that theory for at least 25 years and have never had it repeated back to me.  Now here it is coming from at least 2 sources that aint me.  It first occurred to me in a HS math class.  There was a word problem about siblings ages that got me started on that line of thinking and sometime over the following summer I realized the significance and worked out the details of my theory. 

Weird. 

When I was 10 years old, 20% of my entire life had been spent trying to get through Kindergarten and the 1st Grade.

I've only spent 18% of my life without OBL.

4 hours ago, Dantankerous said:

You want time to slow down? Easy. Just go back to work.  :D Get an asshat for a boss and each day will be an eternity. 

;)

I can vouch for this!

4 hours ago, Hendo said:

Don't make me break out the "Time in a Bottle" video. 

I would never forgive you!

5 hours ago, Snakejaw_Joe said:

So the solution is to always have a gun on order -- got it!

You'll be surprised how often that works.  :D  Fed Ex says my new baby will be delivered to my FFl by end of business today. I got that word on my computer about 6:00am today.  Seems like a week ago already.

11 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

2005 was the last year that Hubby shot with SASS.:(

That was the year that I started with SASS.

6 hours ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

You'll be surprised how often that works.  :D  Fed Ex says my new baby will be delivered to my FFl by end of business today. I got that word on my computer about 6:00am today.  Seems like a week ago already.

Fed Ex dropped it off about closing time.  I should have it my mitts about noon tomorrow.  :D

Archived