SASS Wire Forum

Monday Morning Check In

DocWard

It’s a rainy Monday morning here, I’m incredibly sore from karate, I’m tired from staying up late to finish work, and have an annoying day ahead. When I went to make breakfast, our milk was spoiled, and my wife let me know the dryer stopped working. 

So, as I try to stay positive and focused, I thought I would check in on everyone else. I hope everyone is having a good start to their week, but if not, feel free to gripe!

A gloomy Monday here too. Boss is being almost unbearable. Got a lot done in the yard for my bride this weekend though and I shot well at Paradise Pass Saturday. This day will end and the sun will shine tomorrow.

Raining here in Knoxville, but it’s a gentle thorough rain that’s good for the garden. 

Spent the weekend at my parents’ farm celebrating Dad’s 85th lap around the sun. He’s slowing down a lot, but it’s still nice to enjoy whatever time he has left. 

Work is challenging, but it’s a job. Sometimes I feel like a trained dog doing tricks for biscuits, but at least I’m getting biscuits. 

Sorry to hear about your rough morning, Doc. Will be thinking about you and your family. 

Hmmm...Seems I am in good company. I spent last night in pain. I had back surgery last May for a herniated disc. It was pinching my nerves causing numbness and pain in my right leg. 
When I had my accident in February I hurt my back but that seemed to have subsided but the numbness in my right leg came back, but I thought it was from not being able to stretch out and loosen up my lower back. 
Anyway, last night I went to roll over and I tweaked my lower back and pinched the nerve that runs down my right thigh and “Blammo!” Pain and numbness. Sleepless night. 
Now it seems okay, but I am afraid to do anything about it through Workers Comp as I am losing a lot of money being off and the longer I am off the less credit I get towards my retirement.

Anyway, it’s supposed to be a nice day. I think I will try and enjoy it. 

I haven't gotten out of bed yet except to get coffee so my morning's pretty good so far. I hope your day all gets better for you, fellas. :D

Supposed to take my Jeep in to the mechanic today and I don't want that bad news so I might not get out of bed at all.

Can't complain, it's rainy and dreary but I have two appts today =$$$$ and my rifle finally worked on Saturday so I can't wait to take it apart and clean it! 73 Commanchero The gunsmith had it for a few months but he got it working great!! 

Partly sunny and the coffee is hot.  I took a vacation day and will probably wander over to the range in a little while to zero some guns.

Raining in Middle Tennessee, 10 am and I have already been to the bank and the grocery store. I shot well enough to be a little above mid place on Sat so life is good. Now for a nap.

Imis

A soft rain here in Arkansas this AM. Gonna run to the gun shop in a bit and run a couple more errands. That 3rd cup of coffee is finally starting to kick in.

Preach doc, today is lazy, I stayed up late last night catching up with an old friend and am paying for it now. I have things I need to do but my body is not happy with me. I remember when I could stay up til sunrise and go to work like it was no big deal. Now three beers and a 1AM bedtime has me hung over. To be 20 again...

Washing machine took a dump last Friday. It was declared dead this morning. Had to buy another one. Tough to find one in stock but it will be delivered tomorrow. There goes the "mad money" for the next couple of months.

On the bright side, the sun came up this morning and it's not snowing. Of course, that's normal for Florida though.

I have only one gripe...

We have to head home today.

It is trying to rain, and I am praying it will...as it is dearly needed! Even threw down grass seed to coax it along.

Everyone breathe deep, count to 10...and march on!

Raining here in NE Ohio. Watching the granddaughter as usual and watched an episode of Star Wars for the 7 billionth time. (That's all my granddaughter wants to watch) I have to get busy this afternoon and load more black for MBPGA. Bought a big order of bullets at Saturday's shoot and have to put them away. Oh, by the way, it's great to be retired.

California Central Coast here.

High temp today it’s 75° F. It is 75° F here right now and it’s 1230 or so in the afternoon. Bright blue sunshiny skies, zero clouds.  

Everything is fresh and the Spring colors are vivid, the birds are chirping away. The horses are grazing placidly on the fresh green grass that is growing up.  The squirrels are active and the hawks are patrolling the sky..

No city noise out here

Weez all happy.......drinkin’rum and Coca Cola

NOW, for your listening pleasure.....

Frum B4 (mostly) You Were Born

The Andrews Sisters

“Rum And Coca Cola

Raining again here in Ottawa, Ontario.

Bit of frost around our place this AM.

Did some baking and cleaned up a bit around the house.

Have to empty an over the commode cabinet in the master bath tomorrow. SWMBO has decreed it must go. Then I have to wash the remaining wall area of said bath room in preparation for paint. Might go to Menard's to purchase paint for exterior carport and trim of deck. Get to do those once the weather settles down in about a month.:blush:

Monday??? What is this Monday you speak of??? This is just the first Saturday of the week...tomorrow is the second Saturday...

All in all, a pretty craptacular day.

I'm more than a little annoyed about a situation at work, that would simply take too long to explain. It has me angry, and even a little rattled, despite the fact I think it will end up being much ado about nothing.

think I've got my dryer fixed, but I added to the many aches I was already experiencing to get it done. I would like to meet the designer who thought putting a reset button inside the back cover, at the very bottom corner of the dryer would be the ideal location.

At the end of the day, though, I have blessings that I can count, the rain seems to have stopped, and tomorrow is another dayI do like the idea of doing a regular check in, though. I may do one more often.

My Monday story;

The bane in my life it all the things that work but require a lot of maintenance.   Things that won't just break or wear out and be done with it.   

Several years back we bought a Samsung smart TV.  Well,  from the get-go it had a dark picture and no amount of adjustment would brighten it enough.  Many new movies are filmed so dark you can barely see anything.  Then it developed two big black areas up and down.  I talked the the Geeks at Best Buy (where we bought the TV) about it and they assured me that it could happen and it wasn't worth fixing.   Great.  I found I could tap along the bottom of the screen frame and the dark areas would go away for a while.   Then I just put up with it.

So I live with a picture too dark to see and a black cloud over about a fourth of it.  But the dumb thing keeps down loading and changing so I have to keep up with that crap. 

Then it tries to Bluetooth link to my hearing aids.  I hear a pop through my aids and then a pop-up appears on the screen wanting me to confirm link.  If I confirm,  I get a screeching noise, then a pause and another screeching noise, then repeat. Obviously the signal is not compatible with my aids. If I respond NO, the pop-up goes away for 5 minutes.  Then comes back.  To get rid of the message,  I have to go 6 deep in the setup and un-pair the aids.   Next time I turn on TV,  I start all over.  Every time I go out of Wi-Fi range and return,  I have to start over.  

Then there is the sound bar.   Repeat getting it on the right setting.   May stay for hours or days and then revert back to TV speakers.  Then lately it wouldn't recognize the sound bar at all.  Don't know if it's the cable,  sound bar or TV.  

Then last couple of it would go black, reboot and eventually come back up with default Samsung TV programming.

Well today was the day I had enough.  We did a little online shopping and drove to our local Wally-World an bought a Vizio 55" TV.   We have it up and going and I can get the picture as bright as I want.  I plugged in the sound bar with the fiber optic cable and it works!  I've yet to plug in the DVD player. 

Bedtime.   

Couple of med appointments in prep for knee replacement next Monday.

If I get down too far I think about eating last night.  Local VFW had a benefit dinner. Shrimp fried, crawfish boiled, potatoes and sausage boiled, oysters on the half shell and wound up with oyster shooters.

I had never had oysters on the half shell or shooters so I had to concentrate there and then fill leftover room with a couple of pounds of mud bugs.  The shooters would get you in trouble!!!

We also had access to seven smoked alligators.

Just think about supper last night and everything else seems trivial.  yum, yum

A little late with my report!!  Had a great weekend!!  We had a private party birthday gig on Saturday night. It was a catered affair, put together by the girlfriend of the birthday boy who is one of the band’s most loyal, longtime fans.  He was at the very first gig we did as a band!!

The bill of fare was prime rib and baked ham, a vegetable medley, fresh baked rolls, a horseradish dressing, (for the prime rib) and a fresh chopped salad. There were several hors d’oeuvres that the servers brought around, including bacon wrapped shrimp and crab stuffed mushrooms.  To say the food was fabulous would be selling it way short.

We booked the gig over a year and a half ago, but the Bat Flu panic forced us to delay the party one full year!!  SO!! We celebrated his 60th birthday three or four days before his 61st!!!

I put the big band on the stage, less one drummer who was attending a wedding, and the show was all Blues. Two guitars, bass, drums, keyboards, and four vocals!!  We were absolutely on fire, and with several other musicians sitting in throughout the show, it was over the top!!

At the end of the show, while everyone was really rockin’, Ron, the birthday boy, dropped to one knee and proposed to Kate, the girlfriend who set all of this up, producing an emerald cut diamond engagement ring in the 2-3 karat range!!

When it was all over, Kate came up to me and said that she knew we’d agreed on a really low price to do the show, but that she and Ron felt like the price was way too low and handed me more than double, (almost tripple) the amount agreed upon! Add to that we had chosen NOT to put out a tip jar, but one of the guests started a plate around the crowd it produced more than the original fee, and you have us going home with over three times what we’d expected!

Saturday was a good day!!

Sunday, I sat around and “recovered” from the Saturday event while Schoolmarm made a big jambalaya dinner. I mostly just loafed and perused the internet for parts for the projects in the shop.

FINALLY! Monday rolled around and the home health nurse came around to change the dressing on my foot, (an ongoing surgical epoch that’s now into its fifth year, off and on) and reports that the exposed bone that is slowly being covered by new tissue appears to be turning black!!  BUMMER! NOT a good thing at all!!  Took all the good out of a great weekend!! Damn it all!!

So today (Tuesday) we go to the surgeon/podiatrist in a semi-panic!!  After a thorough examination, he tells me that it’s just color transferred from one of the dressings that, for some odd reason, the manufacturer has produced black in color!!

A real roller coaster of a few days!!

3 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

There were several hors

Either you stopped typing too soon or you need to work on your spelling and gave waaaayyyy TMI

Well, cabinet is now history. Had to tear part of it down in situ beforeI could get it away from the john. Lordy!, what a nasty looking wall was back  there! Clean now, have to use a little filler on the hole that secured it to the wall so's it wouldn't tip. Paint the area in a day or two, maybe not until the weekend so I can ventilate the place so it doesn't affect the wife (COPD):rolleyes::blush:

3 minutes ago, Four-Eyed Buck,SASS #14795 said:

Well, cabinet is now history. Had to tear part of it down in situ beforeI could get it away from the john. Lordy!, what a nasty looking wall was back  there! Clean now, have to use a little filler on the hole that secured it to the wall so's it wouldn't tip. Paint the area in a day or two, maybe not until the weekend so I can ventilate the place so it doesn't affect the wife (COPD):rolleyes::blush:

A friend told me that he uses that Fabreeze spray to kill paint odors. I've not tried it, but it might help your wife.

52 minutes ago, DocWard said:

Either you stopped typing too soon or you need to work on your spelling and gave waaaayyyy TMI

Got interrupted by the phone and I guess I hit “submit” somewhere in switching from the forum to the phone, (I was using the “unintelligent” phone) and only a portion of my Post appeared. It’s fixed now...:o  :lol:

18 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

My Monday story;

The bane in my life it all the things that work but require a lot of maintenance.   Things that won't just break or wear out and be done with it.   

Several years back we bought a Samsung smart TV.  Well,  from the get-go it had a dark picture and no amount of adjustment would brighten it enough.  Many new movies are filmed so dark you can barely see anything.  Then it developed two big black areas up and down.  I talked the the Geeks at Best Buy (where we bought the TV) about it and they assured me that it could happen and it wasn't worth fixing.   Great.  I found I could tap along the bottom of the screen frame and the dark areas would go away for a while.   Then I just put up with it.

So I live with a picture too dark to see and a black cloud over about a fourth of it.  But the dumb thing keeps down loading and changing so I have to keep up with that crap. 

Then it tries to Bluetooth link to my hearing aids.  I hear a pop through my aids and then a pop-up appears on the screen wanting me to confirm link.  If I confirm,  I get a screeching noise, then a pause and another screeching noise, then repeat. Obviously the signal is not compatible with my aids. If I respond NO, the pop-up goes away for 5 minutes.  Then comes back.  To get rid of the message,  I have to go 6 deep in the setup and un-pair the aids.   Next time I turn on TV,  I start all over.  Every time I go out of Wi-Fi range and return,  I have to start over.  

Then there is the sound bar.   Repeat getting it on the right setting.   May stay for hours or days and then revert back to TV speakers.  Then lately it wouldn't recognize the sound bar at all.  Don't know if it's the cable,  sound bar or TV.  

Then last couple of it would go black, reboot and eventually come back up with default Samsung TV programming.

Well today was the day I had enough.  We did a little online shopping and drove to our local Wally-World an bought a Vizio 55" TV.   We have it up and going and I can get the picture as bright as I want.  I plugged in the sound bar with the fiber optic cable and it works!  I've yet to plug in the DVD player. 

Bedtime.   

We've been enjoying the new TV so far.  Bright picture, good sound. YouTube has more free with ads movies. 

I failed to mention that the old Samsung would not play the sound on El Dorado.  Nothing we could do to get the sound to play. It played on my Samsung phone and tablet.  It played on Sawmill Mary's iPhone.   Anyway,  I thougt I'd check the new TV.  Played the sound, no problem.  

Archived