SASS Wire Forum

They say a bad day doing what you love beats a good day at work...

... but they forgot to mention sometimes it leaves you just as frustrated. :wacko:

Yesterday I took my 1851 Navy out in the woods to do some shootin'. Just three cylinders into it suddenly the hammer would not stay cocked. I fumbled around with it, but I couldn't get it resolved and assumed something must've broken. So I had to end the shooting session right then and there and come home. I took it apart, and found I had the Mother of all Cap Jams. One got stuck deep inside the action between the hammer and trigger. So I removed it, cleaned the revolver, and upon reassembly the action still acted like it had rocks in it.

So I took it apart again, and found another piece of cap wedged deep underneath the bolt spring. I then took EVERYTHING apart, cleaned it out really good, and began reassembly. Finally down to the last screw, the bottom one that holds the grip on, I slipped and the screw bounced and fell somewhere on the floor in the garage. I literally spent two hours looking for it, with no luck. $%#^@! I then looked online for a new screw, but it's $20 with shipping. Ouch.

This morning I tried looking again, and finally had to write it off as having fallen through a time/space portal into another dimension. I went to the nearby hardware store, and actually found a screw with the same thread pitch but much longer and with a larger head. Spent the afternoon carefully grinding and filing down the screw until it fit, and cold-blued it. The revolver now works normally.

Just in time for the workweek to begin again... :unsure:

13 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Just in time for the workweek to begin again... :unsure:

So at the end of tomorrow, please post which was the better day. I'll bet it was today.

Six gun,

I have a magnet bar, about 2’ wide, with a broom handle and wheels that just keep it from rubbing on the floor. This has helped me in the past. It is from my remote control plane hobby. Lots of small screws in RC Planes. 

CJ

I half expected it to magically show up in the middle of the floor right after I finished making the replacement. I'll just order one the next time I need to place a big order with Gun Parts Corp.

"So at the end of tomorrow, please post which was the better day. I'll bet it was today."

No bets. A lost screw beats an office full of coworkers with a screw loose.

Go to Home Depot and get you one of these. Mine is a lifesaver. The ones Cactus Jack are great but these get further under things...where my screws and springs all end up. Way under things...in the dust. 

Got mine at Home Depot - Extendable Magnet

image.jpeg.9b17b7aeba4216d4fde7b9e15581e82f.jpeg

been there , done that , always best when everything goes as planned and works out as expected , but how often does that happen ? really ? 

im lucky i married the woman that can shift gears and change plans on a moments notice [or less] but im equally unlucky in that she often has that moment without me noticing its coming , but hey my life is never boring , just very unsettling at times 

I work on model submarines that are functional.

I have lots of small screw, bolts and nuts.

They are constantly jumping off the work bench.

I find them using a flash light and getting down on the floor.

The light causes the parts to cast long shadows which helps find them.

Some how ever are found during the annual shop cleanup.

This is where everything in the shop is moved and swept under.

A magnet will not help.

All parts are stainless.

Seriously, every modern home must have a worm hole or something that leads to an alternate universe of sorts. A couple months ago I was headed to the range and threw my container holding my fancy ear plugs into my range bag. When I got there they were missing. After I came back home I searched everywhere, but I never found them. I have absolutely no friggin' clue how they managed to just vanish from the Earth like that.

Shoe box. Cut holes in the short sides for your hands to fit through. Make a rectangular hole in the top and tape some plastic wrap over it for a window.

Take lid off put workpiece inside replace lid. Hands from side. Springs and screws stay contained in the box when they go boing tik tik tik.

7 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Seriously, every modern home must have a worm hole or something that leads to an alternate universe of sorts. A couple months ago I was headed to the range and threw my container holding my fancy ear plugs into my range bag. When I got there they were missing. After I came back home I searched everywhere, but I never found them. I have absolutely no friggin' clue how they managed to just vanish from the Earth like that.

42 minutes ago, Texas Joker said:

Shoe box. Cut holes in the short sides for your hands to fit through. Make a rectangular hole in the top and tape some plastic wrap over it for a window.

Take lid off put workpiece inside replace lid. Hands from side. Springs and screws stay contained in the box when they go boing tik tik tik.

The shoe box works well in place of ear plugs also. The only noise you have to worry about is the noise that you make yourself. This is because no one wants to get anywhere near some guy with a gun wearing a shoebox on his head.

Years ago I launched a Ruger 10/22 recoil spring in my garage. That’s what I get for trying to use a spring gauge to determine spring tension. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I looked and looked. I swept the floor with a magnet then swept the floor with a broom. I looked on shelves and on boxes. I looked everywhere. Then one day I was putting some stuff on some boards in the rafters and lo and behold there sits my 10/22 spring lying on top of a 2x4 rafter beam. Nowhere near where the spring was launched from but what was funnier was about a foot away from that spring was another spring. I had no idea what that spring was for but it was just sitting there. Weird. 
The house was 30 years old when I bought it so some prior owner must have launched that other little spring at some point. 
A couple of years later I launched another spring from a S&W .22 pistol and the first thing I did after I couldn’t found it on a cursory scan of the floor was grab a step ladder and look on top of that rafter. It wasn’t there, so I decided the rafter wasn’t some kind of a spring vortex after all. :lol:

I never found that one. 

Archived