SASS Wire Forum

Old School Ice Cream Truck

Derringer Dan

So I’m reading a book on the couch, enjoying  the afternoon with the doggo at my feet, and I start to hear some crazy music. It rings a bell but I  can’t put my finger on it. Thought the Mrs. had something playing on her phone while she is outside weeding her flowers.

All of a sudden, she yells out ‘there’s an ice  cream truck coming down the street’. Gets me off the couch in a nanosecond looking for my wallet, the doggo’s barking and I end up outside before the truck passes. Doesn’t sell regular packaged ice cream, but I bought some shaved ice anyway...  ;)  The driver said they might start carrying Drumsticks and other goodies soon. Gotta keep my wallet hidden...  :D

837000E0-2A11-4605-B3B6-ECED8AF45346.jpeg

1 minute ago, Forty Rod SASS 3935 said:

Haven't seen one of those in many years.

Did they have popsickles, ice cream sandwiches, and drumsticks?

Not yet. Honestly, that goal was what got me up ;)

I drove an ice cream truck one summer when I was in high school but it wasn't like the one pictured. It was all packaged stuff, Daddy Joe's Ice Cream and the song was "Pop goes the weasel", That was the one thing I hated about the job, that song over and over again! :angry:

25 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

That pic looks kinda like your running......:lol:

Yeppers. Didn’t want to miss out :D Mrs. got the tell-tale picture 

2 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

I drove an ice cream truck one summer when I was in high school but it wasn't like the one pictured. It was all packaged stuff, Daddy Joe's Ice Cream and the song was "Pop goes the weasel", That was the one thing I hated about the job, that song over and over again! :angry:

“All around the mulberry bush...”

Oh boy  ;)

I lived in Miami for 35 years and moved out three years after I retired.  To this date there is still an old fashioned ice cream truck that drives thru the  neighborhood twice a week. I don't think he sells enough to pay for the gas he uses, but he still does it.   Little kids still come out and buy from him.

By the same token, there's a fellow that sharpens knives and scissors and comes around every two months or so.

Even if I didn't really want ice cream or had to have knives sharpened I always stopped them.  It was like remembrance of things past.  Made feel at home.

Ooo.... the dude needs to stock Fudgesicles and Eskimo Pies too!  ^_^

Oh - and don't forget the sherbet "push-ups!"  :blush:

Oh I had a little chickie and she wouldn't lay an egg

So I poured hot water up and down her leg

And the little chickie pleaded and the little chickie begged

Then the chickie laid for me a hard boiled egg

Turkey in the haystack turkey in the straw

Turkey in the haystack turkey in the straw

Great big turkey in the straw

Fixin' to whup up on his mother-in-law

3 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Ooo.... the dude needs to stock Fudgesicles and Eskimo Pies too!  ^_^

Oh - and don't forget the sherbet "push-ups!"  :blush:

• Yessir!! But only come through the neighborhood once a month. I’m gunna get fat!!  :lol:

3 hours ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

I lived in Miami for 35 years and moved out three years after I retired.  To this date there is still an old fashioned ice cream truck that drives thru the  neighborhood twice a week. I don't think he sells enough to pay for the gas he uses, but he still does it.   Little kids still come out and buy from him.

By the same token, there's a fellow that sharpens knives and scissors and comes around every two months or so.

Even if I didn't really want ice cream or had to have knives sharpened I always stopped them.  It was like remembrance of things past.  Made feel at home.

Stuff like that reminds me of the Helmes man (spell?) a boatload of baked wonders in an old panel van, bottom drawer had the GOOD donuts :)

We have some extras around here, if anybody wants one.

The one that hits this neighborhood, every afternoon and evening, year 'round has music you can hear for four blocks.  It drives real slow.  Same eight or ten songs, Christmas songs, Mexican favorites, ice cream truck traditionals no matter the season.  My subconscious mind knows the upcoming tune before I realize I've been hearing it.

May you get all the ice cream trucks you can handle.  (ancient Arizona curse)

The few ice cream trucks we have around here look like refugees from Mad Max. One has diamond mesh welded over every opening, and just a 6" square hole to take money and hand out product. It's beat up, rusty, grimy and smoky.  Gives the impression you might catch something nasty from it!!

We don’t have a “Goody-Goody Man” in the neighborhood I live in now. That’s what we called the ice cream man when we were kids. 

Where I lived in Oregon we had a Hawaiian Shave Ice truck that looked like a painted up trolley car. Cool looking set up but these knuckleheads played really loud music over a PA system. They played rock & roll but they also played some jingles. Like @Joke 'umsaid you could hear them a long way off. I got sick of it and confronted the driver one evening out in front of my house. There was a driver, young guy, and a man and a woman in the back. They appeared related. The driver, man  and the woman all started arguing with my through the windows. It seems I wasn’t the only person that jumped in them because their yelling schtick seemed well rehearsed. My “yelling schtick” was not but mine included the thread of shooting their speakers off the roof and burning their wooden trolley truck to the ground. 
They left, blaring their music. 
A short time later a police car came slowly down the street. I went out to talk to him. We had a nice discussion about the noisy shave ice truck. It seems someone called the police when threats of shooting and burning occurred...that someone didn’t mention the noisy loud music so that someone must have been on the truck. 
Anyway, long story short, between the complaints to the police and it seems that everyone boycotted the truck unless they turned down the music.  The owners of the shave ice truck turned down the volume. 

When I lived in Sacramento we had 2 ice cream trucks. 
In North Carolina we had one that also sold sports cards and gag gifts, like “exploding ink pens”. I had one of those. Great revenge on pen thieves. :lol:

I'm thinking of the episode of Happy Days when Fonzi drove the truck. Got fired cause the kids couldn't catch him.

Here on the Lake of the Ozarks, we have a couple that turned their pontoon boat into a ice cream boat.

They stop at the docks as people call to them and sell ice cream goodies.

I'll try a get a picture some time.

It's fun.

25 minutes ago, Coyote Kid, SASS#54714 said:

Here on the Lake of the Ozarks, we have a couple that turned their pontoon boat into a ice cream boat.

They stop at the docks as people call to them and sell ice cream goodies.

I'll try a get a picture some time.

It's fun.

I think this is it.

ice cream boat.jpg

We had a Kona Ice truck show up at one of out HOA board meetings.  Made the meeting rather pleasant, since we have to have them outside now.  We are also talking about having an HOA picnic, local Cuban food truck, Hot dogs for the kids, Margarita truck for the parents and Kona Ice for desserts.  Sounds like fun!!!!

Archived