SASS Wire Forum

336 is coming back

I have a 336 I bought in the early 80's for $75. It was old when I bought it. Just beat up enough I didn't have to baby it too much. There was a couple times when the stars aligned just right it outshot my beloved M-77 .30/06, and it would group just over an inch.

JHC

I have a 336. Love that rifle. It has the straight grip stock. I got it in 1992 for a  hundred bucks from one of my wife’s coworkers. It was basically brand new. It’s a tack driver with 150 grain bullets over 32 grains of IMR- 4895 and 170 grained over 30 grains of the same. 

Would I buy another one when they come out? I doubt it. I have the 336 and my Winchester 94AE Carbine both in 30-30. But, if they offered it with the longer barrel with the short mag I just might bite. 

I have to say this because it has bugged me for years. This gun writer  and his fellow Know-it-alls are really starting to tick me off with this whining about the cross bolt safety. If they’re smart enough to handle a gun without one they should be smart enough to handle one with a safety. If they aren’t smart enough to know to check the safety to shoot the gun then maybe they shouldn’t be handling it. Furthermore, if they’re to g’danged dense to keep from accidentally activating it in the first place maybe they shouldn’t be handling guns at all. Flippin’ whiney self righteous pinheads. Hell, most of them whine because they’re daddy gun guru whined about it...

Okay, enough about that. Anyway, I look forward to seeing new 336’s soon. 

Just about fifty years ago I was agonizing over what rifle to buy.  I narrowed it down to a Savage 99 in .243 or a Marlin 336 in .30-30.

Then I opened a magazine and saw the ad below and my mind was made up.  The rifle itself was $115, and a separate ad announced a package deal with scope for $144.45.  I popped in to F Bob Chow's shop on Mission Street in San Francisco and they ordered it right up for me.  It was SO cool with that scope - it had a post-type reticle that almost glowed in the dark.

But it didn't take me long at all to relegate the scope to a J C Higgins .22 and "upgrade" the Marlin with a Lyman 66LA receiver sight and Marble's Sheard front sight blade.

Still about my favorite toy.   ^_^

1598367649_Marlin336Ad1971.thumb.jpg.b59f30d1d559681a17995e4a7f4d906c.jpg    

marlin_1971 2.jpg

5 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

This would be great news!  

Then if they bring back the Camp Carbine and the 39A, Ruger will have hit the Marlin trifecta in my opinion. 

Those are probably the two that will NEVER come back. The Camp Carbine wold directly compete with the Ruger PC Carbine and the 39A is too costly to make in a world full of pot-metal Henrys.

(no offense to the .22 Henry, as I have one myself)

I do hope however that they bring back the Model 60 soon... with the original long barrel and hi-cap mag tube.

7 hours ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

Those are probably the two that will NEVER come back. The Camp Carbine wold directly compete with the Ruger PC Carbine and the 39A is too costly to make in a world full of pot-metal Henrys.

(no offense to the .22 Henry, as I have one myself)

I do hope however that they bring back the Model 60 soon... with the original long barrel and hi-cap mag tube.

Wish I could argue with your logic.

Guess I’ll have to stick with my 1957 vintage 39a and pass it down when the time is right. 

8 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have a 336. Love that rifle. It has the straight grip stock. I got it in 1992 for a  hundred bucks from one of my wife’s coworkers. It was basically brand new. It’s a tack driver with 150 grain bullets over 32 grains of IMR- 4895 and 170 grained over 30 grains of the same. 

Would I buy another one when they come out? I doubt it. I have the 336 and my Winchester 94AE Carbine both in 30-30. But, if they offered it with the longer barrel with the short mag I just might bite. 

I have to say this because it has bugged me for years. This gun writer  and his fellow Know-it-alls are really starting to tick me off with this whining about the cross bolt safety. If they’re smart enough to handle a gun without one they should be smart enough to handle one with a safety. If they aren’t smart enough to know to check the safety to shoot the gun then maybe they shouldn’t be handling it. Furthermore, if they’re to g’danged dense to keep from accidentally activating it in the first place maybe they shouldn’t be handling guns at all. Flippin’ whiney self righteous pinheads. Hell, most of them whine because they’re daddy gun guru whined about it...

Okay, enough about that. Anyway, I look forward to seeing new 336’s soon. 

If they knew anything at all; they'd know that all you have to do is remove the butt stock and tighten a set screw and viola the safety is locked in place. You can lock it in the Safe or the Fire position.

I have my Dad's old 30-30 that was made under the Glenfield name. 1/2 mag tube.

Hopefully the new Ruglins won't have a barrel stamped "READ ALL WARNINGS IN INSTRUCTION MANUAL AVAILABLE FREE FROM RUGER OR MARLIN. OBEY ALL SAFETY RULES AND LAWS PERTAINING TO FIREARMS. ALWAYS USE RECOMMENDED AMMUNITION. NEVER POINT THIS GUN AT ANYONE. CAPABLE OF FIRING WITH MAGAZINE REMOVED (NOT THAT THIS MODEL HAS ONE). LOVE YOUR MOTHER. AS A MATTER OF FACT DON'T EVEN BUY THIS FIREARM. YOU MIGHT SHOOT YOURSELF IN THE FOOT ANYWAY AND SUE US."

5 hours ago, Michigan Slim said:

I have a first year production 336. Be interested in comparing the two.

Me too.  Made in 1948.  I also have a model 1936 that I think was made in 1936.  I didn't find a good place to look up serial numbers so I'm not sure about the year on the 1936.  But it is in the 9000's and I think the stuff I read said they made less than 10k in the first year. 

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0?ui=2&ik=ed5e056d02&attid=0.2&permmsgid=msg-f:1646662522055727073&th=16da1ed6e41497e1&view=fimg&realattid=16da1eb0fcf152f81762&disp=thd&attbid=ANGjdJ_HyYw6X9tJwWKO2T4ZlCvml5yfdCmm8TscaLWiTKgL8NpgvBmrZU4WC_4-zoNLu4yhhtSnIBQYUasHtDfVg0QDEbkcp-5J0l_0EmLoIjMPo3Ct6w39wDdw8Ao&ats=2524608000000&sz=w1920-h896

I have three Marlin's. 

A Model 39-M

A 38-55.

A 30=30 with an octagonal barrel.

I have high hopes for the one Ruger will be coming out with. I hope that there will be no unpleasant surprises. But...I got a feeling. 

One problem they will have, will be one similar to what Remington had. There are a zillion of us that remember the JM Marlin's, and many of us have one, or more. We will compare theirs to the one's we remember, and own. I hope and pray they don't get "creative", and that their Marlin's will measure up.

Some designs are classic, and iconic, and should not be messed with. Remember "New Coke". That went over like a lead zeppelin. 

This is a classic lever action, a classic design, a historic design, and I hope they don't cross breed it with an AR somehow. If I want a "modern" lever action design, I can buy one, that is already out there.

Can you feel that Ruger??? It's called "pressure". You have huge boots to fill. You can do it. Question is....will you?  

Time will tell. 

35 minutes ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

I have high hopes for the one Ruger will be coming out with. I hope that there will be no unpleasant surprises. But...I got a feeling. 

One problem they will have, will be one similar to what Remington had. There are a zillion of us that remember the JM Marlin's, and many of us have one, or more. We will compare theirs to the one's we remember, and own. I hope and pray they don't get "creative", and that their Marlin's will measure up.

What Ruger does well is figure out how to make things inexpensively so you're right to worry.  Fortunately, that was also what marlin did, so I think we'll be good.  If I'm wrong ... I trust Ruger to fix any mistakes they make so I'm generally very optimistic about this. 

I can't wait to see what Ruger does. They make really good,  RELIABLE guns. This is what we have been waiting for. I just wish they would look at a Colt Lightning rifle. That would be great!

The folks who will be disappointed are the ones who expect that anything without a forged receiver is junk. I doubt the new Ruglins will be forged. Yes they can make cast receivers that hold up just as well as a forged one, but tell that to the purists.

21 minutes ago, Sixgun Sheridan said:

The folks who will be disappointed are the ones who expect that anything without a forged receiver is junk. I doubt the new Ruglins will be forged. Yes they can make cast receivers that hold up just as well as a forged one, but tell that to the purists.

I am very sure Ruger will do something that will hurt the wittle feewings of a lot of people that aren’t happy unless the have something to whine and b**** about. 

We should start a rumor that Ruger has paid S&W for their revolver lock design and they plan to implement it on all Marlins...

I’ll make the popcorn and spring for cold drinks...:D

7 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

revolver lock design

Took me a minute to realize you were talking about the lawyer lock.  I think we'd get more ourtage if the rumor was for the rossi safety they put on top of the bolt. 

4 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

Took me a minute to realize you were talking about the lawyer lock.  I think we'd get more ourtage if the rumor was for the rossi safety they put on top of the bolt. 

Oh, man, I forgot about that piece of garbage. Yeah, I agree. :)

I have a "waffle top" antique in .35 Remington and another one in the venerable .30-30.  Excellent guns out to 100 yards or so.  I cast bullets for both of them, but I haven't hunted with either yet.  I do a lot more shooting than I do hunting...

23 hours ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

That's good to hear, but this was the most likely gun to be brought back.  So no big surprise.  Have they made a decision on the mod 94 yet? 

I understand it is in production according to their web sight.

All I want is the new Marlin to have wood to metal fit that is second to none, no gaps that you could slide a playing card into; to have the front sight not canted to the right or left of center, but centered on the barrel; to use real recognizable wood, and not "mystery wood"; that the lever be workable, so you don't need a pipe wrench to work it, and when the lever is closed, it fits snug up against the receiver, to have real bluing on the receiver and barrel, and not look like someone used a can of black spray paint as the finish. And, finally, not to put a two paragraph warning on the barrel. 

Those that know firearms don't need it, and those that don't know firearms won't heed it. 

Would that be too much to ask?

Or is that just B#*@+ing, and moaning, and being a "purest"???

I predict that ya ain't gonna get away from the warnings on the barrel.

But the rest should happen!  :)

1 hour ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

I predict that ya ain't gonna get away from the warnings on the barrel.

But the rest should happen!  :)

I think if they write the Bible on the barrel I want it inlaid with brass…so the gun looks camo from a distance. :D

Archived