SASS Wire Forum

My first wood carving

Snakejaw_Joe

Ok, so I cheated and used an outline, and a dremel instead of hand tools... but I eventually want to get good enough to do some gunstock carving and figured Id start with a piece of 2x4 I had laying around. Turns out there was a knot inside that goes across the face but oh well. The practice is fun.

20200622_171828.thumb.jpg.f232bd1e1375f6fdb99db06d115e18eb.jpg

Joe,

That is good work. Especially as it is your first attempt. I like the scale details.

I’ve been doing small figures for a while. Just like you I just dove in. 
You might find some hints on YouTube videos if you haven’t already looked there.

The videos have helped me. I’m not doing lifelike, more caricatures that give a feel for the subject.

Been trying cowboys lately.

Keep up the good work it will become addictive. :P

CJ

10 minutes ago, Cactus Jack Calder said:

Joe,

That is good work. Especially as it is your first attempt. I like the scale details.

I’ve been doing small figures for a while. Just like you I just dove in. 
You might find some hints on YouTube videos if you haven’t already looked there.

The videos have helped me. I’m not doing lifelike, more caricatures that give a feel for the subject.

Been trying cowboys lately.

Keep up the good work it will become addictive. :P

CJ

Thanks Jack, miniatures sounds like a great passtime. I'll take that tip and do some youtube research, I'm sure theres a whole world of info in just choosing the right shape of tips for the job. I found my hand slipping on a few occasions most likely due to using the wrong shape.

Have any photos to share?

5F0326A3-E08E-4904-9D6A-EF222982B97E.thumb.jpeg.8235e49c4874aed887272f7bb582c847.jpeg

This my gunfighter. He is based on a design for chunky gnome like figures.

CJ

503765C5-DBF8-4852-AA0A-2AE25B531C18.thumb.jpeg.1e3c2d53ad9e4f09006c8f096cbbe351.jpeg

This Red the Roper. Someone said the rope is in a hoolihan throw. I looked it up once, it is a real thing though I may have spelled it wrong here. Same body type as the gunfighter.

CJ

CFC24B3B-1A14-43DC-A4FA-B95C5C19FAF3.thumb.jpeg.5fd6014eb46f8cb610398f7cb03e4bf7.jpeg

This is the Sheriff. He lost his horse and had to walk. He isn’t too happy right now.

CJ

4 minutes ago, Cactus Jack Calder said:

CFC24B3B-1A14-43DC-A4FA-B95C5C19FAF3.thumb.jpeg.5fd6014eb46f8cb610398f7cb03e4bf7.jpeg

This is the Sheriff. He lost his horse and had to walk. He isn’t too happy right now.

CJ

These are great, must take some time investment to get them finished but well worth it! Sheriff is my favorite.

10B7B83F-6A99-49FE-9D1E-CA1F0022494D.thumb.jpeg.1ea3590ae78cc06911c60b55b3339d1d.jpegThis is Obviously he is not finished. He will be the Ranch Foreman, having his morning coffee before assigning work to the hands. Both the Sheriff and the Foeman are from a different basic design. A little more human proportioned than the first two. You can see that he needs a hat. I’ve used separate pieces of wood to add things like the hats, saddle and guns. I’m still experimenting with the painting. I’ve used hobby acrylics from the craft stores so far. 
I also need to improve the faces. The Sheriff is really a hard case.

They are all about 5” tal give or take a smidge.

CJ

Joe,

Thanks, I enjoy it. When I get started on a figure I tend to work too long and begin to make mistakes. I’m trying to learn not to push it to long. I forgot to say these are all knife carvings. I don’t sand off the cut marks to a smooth finish . I like the look of the figure with the obvious carving marks. 

CJ

Archived