SASS Wire Forum

Don't loan ammo

Alpo

The thread about the Aguila mini shells brought this to mind.

2005, we went to Fandango. I had loaded some brass shot shells. I don't know whether it was the vibration of the thousand or so mile road trip, or the temperature fluctuation causing the brass shells to expand and contract. Either way the glued in overshot cards on several of them broke loose. Instead of going POW!!, they sorta went pfft and you can see the shot flying through the air. They did not take knockdowns down.

On one stage there were six knockdowns. My daughter had six shells in her belt slide and two in each vest pocket. She needed all 10.

Pcdv0210.jpg.066213331ec670f5c6ea60c5f288a742.jpgAt one point, after she had fired pfft, pfft, pfft, Cassidy, who was timing her, pulled a shell out of his belt and handed it to her. She looked at it and handed it back, saying that her gun was a 16.

Not only was her gun a 16, it had 2½" chambers. I have seven of those Husqvarna doubles, and only one of them has had the chambers reamed to 2¾. And firing a 2¾ shell in a 2½ chamber is hard on both the shooter and the gun.

His heart was in the right place, but he should not have made the offer.

If you are shooting black powder cartridge, and you fire a smokeless round or two, is that a stage DQ? Like maybe you're supposed to do a rifle reload and you dropped the shell, and the timer being a nice guy hands you one of his. Except his is smokeless.

17 minutes ago, Alpo said:

The thread about the Aguila mini shells brought this to mind.

2005, we went to Fandango. I had loaded some brass shot shells. I don't know whether it was the vibration of the thousand or so mile road trip, or the temperature fluctuation causing the brass shells to expand and contract. Either way the glued in overshot cards on several of them broke loose. Instead of going POW!!, they sorta went pfft and you can see the shot flying through the air. They did not take knockdowns down.

On one stage there were six knockdowns. My daughter had six shells in her belt slide and two in each vest pocket. She needed all 10.

Pcdv0210.jpg.066213331ec670f5c6ea60c5f288a742.jpgAt one point, after she had fired pfft, pfft, pfft, Cassidy, who was timing her, pulled a shell out of his belt and handed it to her. She looked at it and handed it back, saying that her gun was a 16.

Not only was her gun a 16, it had 2½" chambers. I have seven of those Husqvarna doubles, and only one of them has had the chambers reamed to 2¾. And firing a 2¾ shell in a 2½ chamber is hard on both the shooter and the gun.

His heart was in the right place, but he should not have made the offer.

If you are shooting black powder cartridge, and you fire a smokeless round or two, is that a stage DQ? Like maybe you're supposed to do a rifle reload and you dropped the shell, and the timer being a nice guy hands you one of his. Except his is smokeless.

TO handing (or anyone else) is illegally aquired.

Need to clarify (boy am I rusty) but yes, shooting smokeless anything in FC/BP cat's is shooting out of catagory. Not sure what the penalty is.. 

I don’t know about the DQs but I never shoot someone else’s ammo. I will take the misses, failure to engage, the procedural, whatever. 

Years ago I ran out of shotgun ammo. We had one stage left. I needed 4+ shells. A well meaning Pard handed me a partial box of his reloads. They looked like leftovers from a bygone era, but one must never look a gift horse in the mouth. He said “Don’t worry about it those are just some leftovers I had laying around.” when I thanked him and said I would pay him back. there were a dozen or so shells in the box. 

At the line the shotgun was the last gun of the stage. I loaded two. The first one went off like a game load. It had a really good kick to it and the target went down. The second one fizzled. I think the wadding touched the target, the shot didn’t. If I wouldn’t have seen the wad I would have thought it was still in the barrel. I dumped to two shells looking down the bores to ensure no obstructions. 
I loaded the next two, pulled the gun up. Pulled the front trigger and BLAM! It wasn’t just a kick, it was a KICK! A really really hard kick. It sounded like a definite double load. I dumped the empty and one live one and laid the shotgun on the bench and said “I’m done!”

As I walked back to the unloading table the RO brought up my gun and said it appeared okay. I heard someone joke about how hard that last shotgun target slammed down onto its frame. 
I don’t recall if I just got dinged for the misses or any other infraction but I never shot anyone’s reloads again. 
I was so concerned about my shotgun I took it to a good gunsmith to make sure it was okay. It was. My shoulder hurt for a while. I had a nice bruise. 

3 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I don’t know about the DQs but I never shoot someone else’s ammo. I will take the misses, failure to engage, the procedural, whatever. 

Years ago I ran out of shotgun ammo. We had one stage left. I needed 4+ shells. A well meaning Pard handed me a partial box of his reloads. They looked like leftovers from a bygone era, but one must never look a gift horse in the mouth. He said “Don’t worry about it those are just some leftovers I had laying around.” when I thanked him and said I would pay him back. there were a dozen or so shells in the box. 

At the line the shotgun was the last gun of the stage. I loaded two. The first one went off like a game load. It had a really good kick to it and the target went down. The second one fizzled. I think the wadding touched the target, the shot didn’t. If I wouldn’t have seen the wad I would have thought it was still in the barrel. I dumped to two shells looking down the bores to ensure no obstructions. 
I loaded the next two, pulled the gun up. Pulled the front trigger and BLAM! It wasn’t just a kick, it was a KICK! A really really hard kick. It sounded like a definite double load. I dumped the empty and one live one and laid the shotgun on the bench and said “I’m done!”

As I walked back to the unloading table the RO brought up my gun and said it appeared okay. I heard someone joke about how hard that last shotgun target slammed down onto its frame. 
I don’t recall if I just got dinged for the misses or any other infraction but I never shot anyone’s reloads again. 
I was so concerned about my shotgun I took it to a good gunsmith to make sure it was okay. It was. My shoulder hurt for a while. I had a nice bruise. 

Yup.

We had a man that shot in the area for a bit.

Not one I wanted around.

Loads were never consistant, even bragged about having blown up guns.

Unsafe loads, unsafe shooter...told MD I would pack up and go home if I ever ran across him again!!!

12 minutes ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Need to clarify (boy am I rusty) but yes, shooting smokeless anything in FC/BP cat's is shooting out of catagory. Not sure what the penalty is.. 

1st time =  Procedural

2nd time = SDQ

3rd time = MDQ

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

We went to Fandango. I had loaded some brass shot shells. I don't know whether it was the vibration of the thousand or so mile road trip, or the temperature fluctuation causing the brass shells to expand and contract. Either way the glued in overshot cards on several of them broke loose. Instead of going POW!!, they sorta went pfft and you can see the shot flying through the air. They did not take knockdowns down.

I've had the glue on the overshot card dry out and shrink for some of my brass shot shells.  I find Elmer's wood glue tends not to dry out and become brittle like Elmer's white glue does.

Per SASS rules, as stated above, 1st time =  Procedural, 2nd time = SDQ & 3rd time = MDQ.  At a local match I wouldn't necessarily call the procedural.  It would be a case by case decision.   If this is an experienced shooter, then yes I'll call the procedural.  However if it is new shooter or shooter under 18, I probably won't, since there isn't anything at stake.  This is suppose to be fun and diligently applying ALL of the rules isn't always necessary at a monthly match.  However I always call safety procedurals.

We had a pard who often forgot to bring enough shot-shells but was cured on one memorable stage, the last of the day.

Some loaners were BP and a couple of the others were buffered with feathers.

He started paying attention to the round count posted on the website with the match booklet.

53 minutes ago, Chantry said:

I've had the glue on the overshot card dry out and shrink for some of my brass shot shells.  I find Elmer's wood glue tends not to dry out and become brittle like Elmer's white glue does.

Per SASS rules, as stated above, 1st time =  Procedural, 2nd time = SDQ & 3rd time = MDQ.  At a local match I wouldn't necessarily call the procedural.  It would be a case by case decision.   If this is an experienced shooter, then yes I'll call the procedural.  However if it is new shooter or shooter under 18, I probably won't, since there isn't anything at stake.  This is suppose to be fun and diligently applying ALL of the rules isn't always necessary at a monthly match.  However I always call safety procedurals.

Untill they travel to a match elsewhere (State or above, especially) and get called.

Then you hear " they let us do that at our club" !!!

2 hours ago, Singin' Sue 71615 said:

Untill they travel to a match elsewhere (State or above, especially) and get called.

Then you hear " they let us do that at our club" !!!

The people I'm talking about rarely travel to sanctioned matches.  If they show that much interest, I or one of the other long time members, will mention how things work at sanctioned matches or clubs that enforce SASS rules more stringently.

Wait a minuet … I thought all Frontier Cartridge shooters only shot "every other round" w/ black powder … Like … who's gonna know??
What a crock … loading every one of them w/ black powder/substitute!!  fire.gif.de431c45f43c42aef5212a516c2f635e.gif

3 hours ago, Alpo said:

I'm sure rules have changed. As I said it's been 16 years.

But that used to be fairly common.

Always been prohibited. Doesn’t mean it wasn’t done of course. <_<

I have given reloaded ammo away, but I ask that the empty brass be returned.  Often enough, I never saw the brass again.

But, have you ever had your shotgun shells (or other things) actually stolen out of your cart?  I’m always stunned by that.

Cat Brules

If I loan my gun I loan the ammo to go with it. I don’t mind loaning my gun but I don’t want any one else’s hand load’s in it. It’s not like I don’t trust them but I don’t 

On 5/2/2021 at 11:39 AM, Sedalia Dave said:

1st time =  Procedural

2nd time = SDQ

3rd time = MDQ

But in this case it's illegally acquired ammo and the shots don't count.  So would the penalty for shooting out of category even apply? 

Since illegally acquired ammo carries a P with it anyway and you can't get 2 Ps on a stage I guess it's irrelevant unless it was the 2nd or 3rd stage of the day where they shot out of category. 

13 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

But in this case it's illegally acquired ammo and the shots don't count.  So would the penalty for shooting out of category even apply? 

Since illegally acquired ammo carries a P with it anyway and you can't get 2 Ps on a stage I guess it's irrelevant unless it was the 2nd or 3rd stage of the day where they shot out of category. 

This was in reference to shooting smokeless rounds in a BP category. Not for illegally acquired ammo.

One of my better comical moments I went to the line forgot my shotgun shells.  I realized this in the middle of the stage so I staged my pistols on on a prop at the firing line, ran back to my cart, grabbed a handful of SG shells, ran back to the line, holstered my pistols, and proceeded to finish the stage.

The look on the TO face as I ran from the firing line was priceless. When quizzed about why I did it afterwords, I told everyone that I got the idea from a WTC here on the wire where another shooter at a big match had done the same thing. At the time it was ruled legal as there were no rules prohibiting it.

Got a lot of laughs from that stunt. Unfortunately shortly afterwards the ROC ruled that leaving the firing line to retrieve ammo was no longer allowed after the beep.

What about loaning factory ammo?

I don't reload shotgun, but I do carry extra AA Lite Loads whenever I shoot shotgun anywhere in case someone needs extra. Factory 12ga 2 3/4 lite loads, never figured that'd be an issue given factory loads. 

I do understand the issue with ammunition that is not legal to the category

5 minutes ago, Big Hand Zack said:

I don't reload shotgun, but I do carry extra AA Lite Loads whenever I shoot shotgun anywhere in case someone needs extra. Factory 12ga 2 3/4 lite loads, never figured that'd be an issue given factory loads. 

I usually have a few loose factory smokeless shotgun shells laying in my gun cart.  I would gladly give them away to a shooter needing them.  I don't hand reloads to other shooters - too much liability.

24 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

This was in reference to shooting smokeless rounds in a BP category. Not for illegally acquired ammo.

The situation as described would have violated both rules though if she'd taken the ammo. 

10 minutes ago, Big Hand Zack said:

No problem with that.  Even with my pistol ammo, it's not a big name commercial loading, but it's loaded by a guy I know who has a commercial license.  So if someone runs out of ammo I tell them where mine is from and give them the choice of just borrowing ammo, or borrowing my guns and my ammo.  A couple of times people have decided on just the ammo so they could keep using their own gun. 

Archived