SASS Wire Forum

Orthodox Easter

Воистину воскресе!

We got home about 03:50.  Made nice at the dog (she had been left alone since 22:00, I think a record for her on her own), had some water and shared our prosphora.  I downloaded some photos and videos from my phone.  Then we both fell asleep on the couch about 04:30.  I got up at 07:30 and started coffee.

May all our Orthodox brother and sisters in Christ have a most Blessed Easter.

Here are my 15mm Russian Orthodox figures that Subdeacon Joe assisted me in painting correctly.  The stand gives my 15mm Napoleonic Russian Army spiritual support.

Subdeacon Joe can explain what all the figures represent.  The Priest is, of course, Father Joseph giving y'all his Easter Blessing!

PEwSvS.jpg

xHP2Jt.jpg

zKV8Ux.jpg

3 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Воистину воскресе!

The food items above are traditional, the bread, yeasty and eggy must be cylindrical, it is common to bake it in a coffee can, 1lb is not hard, three lb needs attention.  The icing and candies are normal.

it is customary to take the items for your Easter after church meal to the church to be blessed on Saturday including the wine you will serve.  

These are just my observations, I am sure Joe can say more.

oh here is a link to all the traditional stuff.

https://suburbangrandma.com/ukrainian-traditionaleaster-basket-special-food-and-symbolism/

9 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

it is customary to take the items for your Easter after church meal to the church to be blessed on Saturday including the wine you will serve.  

It is traditional to have food blessed after the Pascual Liturgy.   Usually things that are proscribed during Lent.  I think every Orthodox culture has an enriched bread of some sort, heavy and rich with eggs and dairy.   That is common for many Catholic cultures,  too.

Slavic peoples tend towards the tall cylinders, Greek and Mediterranean cultures tend towards a long braided loaf, often with red eggs braided in.

Other foods common to the baskets to be blessed are cheeses, cured meats, wine.  Last night,  well, early this morning,  we had in our basket kulich (the tall, cylindrical bread),  Port wine cheese,  a triple cream brie, aged gouda,  salami, and a bottle of wine.   Have to remember to take it out of the package and open the wine.

One nice thing for kulich is that you can find inexpensive paper forms to bake it in.  Just set it on a baking sheet. So much easier than greasing a can, lining it with greased paper then putting the dough into the can.

Archived