SASS Wire Forum

1873 loading gate issue

General Ledger

While loading my Uberti '73 at a match yesterday, I noticed the loading gate wasn't closing all the way. I didn't think much of it 'til I went to the line to shoot. The lever was occasionally not closing easily, and when I got home, I noticed that the lever wouldn't close if the loading gate wasn't fully closed (dry firing, of course).  Do I need to replace the loading gate? Is there an adjustment I can make?  

Thanks!

General Ledger

There is NO adjustment screw for the '73 Ladle.  There is normally no "adjustment."  If the retaining screw becomes worn or loose, it can allow the Ladle to move in its race way.  When it does that, it will hand up on the Link Arm.  When it does that, it won't close all the way and may well jam the rifle.  The tab on the back of the Ladle is curved to allow the Link Arm to push it out of the way.

You may just need to move the Ladle to the bottom of its race way.  Clean the race way first and snug up the screw to the Ladle.

4 minutes ago, General Ledger said:

Thanks for the suggestions. One question: what is a ladle?

That is the proper name of the part you slide the cartridges over and into the magazine. The springy thing.

Rex :D

2 hours ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

There is NO adjustment screw for the '73 Ladle.  There is normally no "adjustment."  If the retaining screw becomes worn or loose, it can allow the Ladle to move in its race way.  When it does that, it will hand up on the Link Arm.  When it does that, it won't close all the way and may well jam the rifle.  The tab on the back of the Ladle is curved to allow the Link Arm to push it out of the way.

You may just need to move the Ladle to the bottom of its race way.  Clean the race way first and snug up the screw to the Ladle.

Schooled.

5 hours ago, Tex Jones, SASS 2263 said:

Check also the spring screws under the receiver. The screw under the loading gate loosened on mine and the base of the spring rose up a little.  It caused the loading gate to lock open.  As soon as it was tightened, the gate sprang shut.

^ ^ ^ ^ Do this first.  That may be all it needs.

UPDATE-PROBLEM FIXED!   Well, the problem was the retaining screw on the loading gate. Singin' Sue had the fix!  Thanks for the input.

19 hours ago, General Ledger said:

UPDATE-PROBLEM FIXED!   Well, the problem was the retaining screw on the loading gate. Singin' Sue had the fix!  Thanks for the input.

Thank Shanley Shooter when you run across him!

I picked his brain.

My Marlin had that issue, but I recalled the '73 having a screw elsewhere...

Glad you found it!

Archived