SASS Wire Forum

How to make homemade dowel rods

Pat Riot

The jigsaw blade in the cordless drill intrigued me. Didn't have anything to do with making the dowel though. I thought it was informative and pretty neat. When I need a dowel, I'll go to Home Depot and buy the stuff I need to make one...just kidding. It would come in handy if you needed a special size dowel however.

Thanks Pat.B)

Very cool!  But I think it might've taken a few tries to perfect the technique...  anyone notice the missing finger...?  Hand pointer finger up cartoon symbol icon design Vector Image

9 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Very cool!  But I think it might've taken a few tries to perfect the technique...  anyone notice the missing finger...?  Hand pointer finger up cartoon symbol icon design Vector Image

Yep. Perhaps that is why he works with little blades now? ;)

It would work even better if the blade farthest from the camera faced the other way.  He is turning the wood into the back of the teeth on that side.

Pretty cool, I like the ingenuity. Basically a mini handheld lathe where the block acts as the blade rest.

To do it the traditional way, find a yaupon holly bush, the branches are pin straight and almost perfectly round. Thats how I make my arrows for my traditional bows. Also a good excuse to walk through the woods

And yaupon leaves are chock full of caffeine. Don't eat the berries but the leaves make a tea/coffee substitute. Makes a stout staff or walking stick if you need one

If you needed plugs out of a specific wood this would be an alternative to buying plug cutters. Especially if you needed an odd size.

Also a neat way to make the pegs for timber frame construction.

On 5/2/2021 at 2:13 AM, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Kinda hard NOT to notice the missing finger!

Screenshot 2021-05-03 154413.png

Archived