SASS Wire Forum

What would you do?

Alpo

You are armed.

You meet some people. They are nice, they are friendly. They offer you some food and a place to sleep the night.

Then someone breaks into their building and starts yelling and shooting. The people you met yell and shoot back.

Would you join in with the people that you met that had invited you to spend the night, and shoot at the invaders? Would you, for whatever reason you can think of, join with the invaders and shoot at the people you met? Or would you find a corner to hide in and try to stay out of the line of fire?

There's a similar situation in a Roy Rogers movie. He and his buddy get hired to help out with a cattle drive. Then some people attack the cattle drive and he and his buddy help defend it. Turns out that the cattle drive was actually rustlers, the attackers were the cows' real owners trying to get them back, and I think they was going to hang Roy and his friend. But it's been a while since I saw that movie, so I don't remember what happened.

Lessen' the Interlopers yell "Territorial Rangers!" or such and start tossing lead my way, then yes I'll be participating to the degree that I'm no longer in fear of imminent death or great bodily harm.  Unless it's Marxachusetts or Kommifornia, then I'm all in form the get go cause I know they ain't got fundin' for Territorial Marshall's.

I wouldn't have gone there for the night or taken any food from people I don't know period!

However if I was in Roy's situation I would have  probably done what Roy and his buddy did since you had no idea they were rustlers.

I would try to hide and protect meowndangself IF I didn't know the circumstances.

What if the folks who fed me and gave me shelter were some sort of child molesters

and the father of a victim was seeking justice?

..........Widder

If you accept hospitality there is an obligation from the host to protect the guest. If able bodied the guest has an obligation to offer assistance in an emergency. 

Grab a guy ask what's up, who are these guys. If the answer seems legit throw in. 

If you're getting paid by the folks getting shot at do your job.

1 hour ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

What if the folks who fed me and gave me shelter were some sort of child molesters

and the father of a victim was seeking justice

That's kind of the point of the question.

In the book I'm reading, Barry walks up on these two guys beating on a third. When he arrives the two aggressors leave. He tells the other kid (Barry is 17, the other kid appears to be about a year younger) that he will call the cops, because the kid needs an ambulance and a hospital. The kid requests that Barry take him home. Tells Barry that his father will fix him up.

By the time that Daddy has got through bandaging the boy it's approaching 11 at night. Barry asks if he can use the phone to call his parents because he's sure they will be worried. Daddy says he does not have a phone. Barry says he needs to be getting home. Daddy says the neighborhood is dangerous, especially that time of night. When their chauffeur returns he will have the chauffeur take Barry home.

About 3 minutes after the chauffeur gets back, someone breaks into the room. Daddy and the chauffeur draw guns. The Invaders already had guns out. Barry hit the floor out of the line of fire.

That's where my question came from. Barry is a normal 17 year old high school student. He's not carrying a gun. But if he had been in his mid-20s, and had a gun, what would he have done? He has no idea who the Invaders are. The people he's with he just met an hour ago. And there's a gunfight going on in the room.

Instinct - at least my instinct - would be to side with the people he had been talking to, and to shoot at the home Invaders.

But that could have been two gang bangers beating up on a rival gang banger that he interrupted. The people breaking into the house, instead of being the original aggressors coming back, could be the cops making a drug raid. Poor ol' Barry could get in serious serious trouble.

When, or if, the police showed up, I would not want any evidence of my weapon being fired, since I had no idea of the circumstances that caused this.

However, I would use the weapon, to save my life, if it came down to that...or, use it to save an unarmed person, or a child.

Also, I would not accept food, or a place to stay, from strangers. I do not know their motives, and trust is always earned over time, never given...so that scenario would, like as not, never happen to me. 

I trust strangers even less than I trust the government, or demo-rats.

Force of habit, but Im always scanning my surroundings for exits, points of entry, etc. Im also good at asking loaded questions that help me read peoples body language and intentions. So Id have a pretty good idea of who these people were who took me in.

If they were kind people, Id help and claim self defense. Some people are worth the risk.

If they showed a single ounce of hatred or unkind behavior toward something, I'd exit gracefully and let nature sort it out. Id assume this was retribution for some past transgression, not my battle to fight.

No problem.  In this day and age no one is going to feed you and invite you to stay the night.  You will be luckly if they don't beat you over the head and steal your wallet.

Archived