SASS Wire Forum

Storekeeper SASS legal

Tom Bullweed

I have a Ruger OMV that I keep around as a backup.  The ejector rod housing screw holes has gotten buggered over the years.  I am thinking of modifying this gun to look like a Colt SAA Storekeeper, the longer barrel version of a Sheriff (no ejector rod).  The EJH would be removed and the boss on the frame would be ground away to match the other side.

SASS legal?

The handbook says that modifications not listed are not approved.  It is not listed, but Colt made many Storekeeper and Sheriff versions prior to 1899.

I do not know of any competitive advantage; I just like something different.

SHB page 32

Just because a manufacturer designs a part or firearm for this sport or just because a firearm is available, does not necessarily mean it is legal for competition. Only the modifications referenced here as allowed are approved. All others are illegal.

Any firearm modification not specifically referenced in this Handbook is prohibited. Parties interested in having modifications, parts, or firearms considered for approval and inclusion in the SASS accepted modification text can request a Firearms Modification Consideration application from SASS Headquarters. Written receipt of acceptance from SASS will be the only source of approval. Unless referenced within these Covenants, any modifications, parts, or firearms used without this approval are illegal.

Generally speaking, replication of a model already approved/in use for SASS competition does not require submission of a modification request.

Go ahead. 

12 hours ago, Ace_of_Hearts said:

SHB page 32

Just because a manufacturer designs a part or firearm for this sport or just because a firearm is available, does not necessarily mean it is legal for competition. Only the modifications referenced here as allowed are approved. All others are illegal.

Any firearm modification not specifically referenced in this Handbook is prohibited. Parties interested in having modifications, parts, or firearms considered for approval and inclusion in the SASS accepted modification text can request a Firearms Modification Consideration application from SASS Headquarters. Written receipt of acceptance from SASS will be the only source of approval. Unless referenced within these Covenants, any modifications, parts, or firearms used without this approval are illegal.

Awe shucks...apparently you weren't able to think outside the box...like the Rules Guru PWB did.

Thank God for PWB...

Phantom

Archived