SASS Wire Forum

1875 Black Powder Shooters

Dusty Morningwood

I recently acquired a minty 1875 Outlaw in .44-40.  As I only shoot Holy Black in my CAS guns, I need some advice on keeping it running.  With my Open Tops, I just grease the heck out of the arbor and it holds lots of grease.  The cylinder pin on the 1875 holds very little. Shot two 5 round cylinders yesterday and it got gummy real quick. Any tricks other than hosing down with Moose Milk every stage?

Take a grinder and cut some groves in the cylinder pin and grease .

The problem with Remmies is there isn't a bushing at the front of cylinder like Colts, which makes them prone to gumming up.

Keep a damp rag handy and wipe the face of the cylinder between stages. You don't need to remove the cylinder. Also spritz a bit of PAM (not the cooking spray) which is a mixture of equal parts hydrogen peroxide, rubbing alcohol* and Murphy's Oil soap onto the cylinder pin and in the cylinder gap. Do this every stage. If this doesn't do the trick, you may have to remove the cylinder and wipe things down between stages. I'm not familiar with the Remmies, but it should only take a minute or two.

*Get rubbing alcohol with the most alcohol content which is over 90%

I assume you know your bullets must have BP compatible lube?

Good luck!

Putting grooves in the cylinder pin, will help. Make sure if you do that, check out some folks on youtube, such as Blackie Thomas, and see what he does. Do not make the grooves too deep...shallow, groves are the best. Make sure the cylinder covers any grooves you put on the pin. 

It is best to order a spare cylinder pin (or two), and have one you can practice on. 

Also, oil up the pin, well before shooting time, with a non-petroleum based lubricant...such as Rand CLP.  You can get Rand CLP on amazon. It is nano-infused, meaning it gets into the pours of the metal.  It is also non-toxic, a cleaner, a lubricant, and a protectant, and best of all non-petroleum based.

Avoid using any kind of petroleum based oil, or lubricant, on a black power firearm. Black powder, and petroleum based oils/lubricants, do NOT mix well together, and the combination makes clean up a real teeth grinding chore, that is not necessary. It turns the black powder residue, and fouling, into a crusty, hard, mess.  

We did not know this, back in 1965, when I first started shooting black power firearms.

My Two Bits.

W.K. 

I carry one of those little spray cans of Ballistol with the tiny tube on my cart. Once the revolver is unloaded, I hold it pointed up and spray a drop or two onto the front of the cylinder, right at the cylinder pin. I then spin the cylinder a couple of times, allowing it to stop on its own, wipe down the gun and move on to other things.

Six stages, no problems. I HAVE shot ten stages in a day and never took them apart!

Archived