SASS Wire Forum

What gun fits this bayonet?

Garand.

Should be markings under the guard.

Mine are:

• U.S. M5-1 made by J&D Tool Co.
  • U.S. M5A1 by Imperial

From Wikipedia:

During the Korean War, the M1 bayonet, which mounted to the M1 rifle, was found difficult to remove while wearing heavy gloves. As a result, the M5 bayonet was designed and issued in 1953. This was a total redesign based on the M4 bayonet used by the M1 carbine. The M5 bayonet looks nothing like the original M1 bayonet, and is the only U.S. bayonet without a barrel mount ring on the crossguard, making it look more like a fighting knife than a bayonet.

Nice find, Charlie.  :)

Injun's correct... 'zackley like the one I just gave the Kid for his IH Garand.  ^_^

Learn something every day. Was going to say that I didn’t think so but... I have a nice M1905 and a non cut down 10 inch M1. I didn’t recognize the M5A1. 

48F472C3-D0CE-457E-80F7-D43356D7C602.jpeg

The M5 uses the same blade design as the M4, M6, M7 and M3 fighting knife. It was designed after troops in Korea complained about the difficulty of operating the small catch button on n the M1 bayonet while wearing winter gloves and mittens. It’s the only US bayonet without a muzzle ring.

What markings are on it?

“Fix Bayonets” is a command you don’t want to hear as an infantryman. It was close once when the NVA tried to re-enact Custer’s Last stand with 2/7 Cav near a Cambodia in 1970.

And there's the old story about the soldier in basic training learning to fight with a bayonet. The instructor was telling the recruits that if the bayonet got stock in the body of the enemy, just fire the gun and the recoil would dislodge the bayonet. One recruit raised his hand and stated, if his gun still had ammo in it he wouldn't be needing the bayonet!

1 hour ago, Cholla said:

And there's the old story about the soldier in basic training learning to fight with a bayonet. The instructor was telling the recruits that if the bayonet got stock in the body of the enemy, just fire the gun and the recoil would dislodge the bayonet. One recruit raised his hand and stated, if his gun still had ammo in it he wouldn't be needing the bayonet!

The Army has been slow to break the single shot musket mindset. ;)

9 hours ago, Baltimore Ed said:

Learn something every day. Was going to say that I didn’t think so but... I have a nice M1905 and a non cut down 10 inch M1. I didn’t recognize the M5A1. 

48F472C3-D0CE-457E-80F7-D43356D7C602.jpeg

Nice group you have there! Just so you know the M5 and the M5A1 will fit on your M1D with the T37 flash hider.  ;)

The M5 bayonet was adopted in 1953 to replace the M1 bayonet and the M5 was changed to the M5A1 with a modification of the latching lever in April of 1956.  The M5 was made by Imperial, Utica, Aerial and J&D Tool Co., the M5A1 by Imperial, Aerial, J&D Tool Co. and Columbus Milpar.  Utica did not make any M5A1 bayonets and Aerial and J&D Tool Co. marked their M5A1 bayonets with M5-1.  Columbus Milpar (marked Milpar Col) did not start businees until 1960 so they did not make any M5 bayonets.  They recieved a contract in December 1961 for 190,000 M5A1 bayonets.  The numbers marked on the side of your guard indicates it is probably one of the bayonets imported back from Greece in 2010.  Your M8A1 scabbard was made by VIZ Manufacturing Company of Philadelphia who received a small contract for about 50,000 scabbards in mid-1969.  All of this info is gleamed from the book U.S. Knife Bayonets & Scabbards by Gary M. Cunningham printed in 2015.

12 hours ago, Cowtown Scout, SASS #53540 L said:

Nice group you have there! Just so you know the M5 and the M5A1 will fit on your M1D with the T37 flash hider.  ;)

Although one hopes a sniper wouldn't let them get that close. ;)

23 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Although one hopes a sniper wouldn't let them get that close. ;)

I figured marine snipers were expected to finish the target with a bayonet if they missed. 

I didn't know this existed yesterday, and now I have to have an M5 or M5A1.  I think I've seen these at gun shows and assumed it was for a foreign rifle since it didn't have a ring. 

36 minutes ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

didn't the army drop bayonet training a while back?

Yes they did. 
https://www.stripes.com/blogs-archive/the-rumor-doctor/the-rumor-doctor-1.104348/has-the-army-eliminated-bayonet-training-1.137356#.YJHfgspOKhA

Archived